What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What about his on field performances though? At the end of the day winning games is what matters. If Steve Kearney and the coaching staff don't believe he has what it takes to be a top level first grade rugby league player then that's their decision and that should be respected, because let's face it, we certainly don't if if he'd be able to adapt to the game.

Look, I do respect Kearney and his right to make the decision. I guess that, even though I never really thought he would come over and be an Eel, I did get excited by the possibility. I know he can't defend, but his attack is freaking crazy. He'd look great playing either rugby code, and the very small possibility he could be an Eel had me salivating.

But you're right - Kearney has every right to make his own mind up, and I suspect he must have another plan in action. I don't think you'd pass up the chance to sign a bloke like Cooper unless you have another ace up your sleeve. I mean, I'm sure Cooper's price would have been possible issue to Kearney, but ability-wise (in attack) it's a no-brainer.

Let us see what develops from this.

jono

Juniors
The guy is pathetic in defense. Enough said.
And so are 90% of the players in Super 15
I cringe when I see the amount of arm-grabbing , puerile attempts at tackling and the ease with which the very best Rugby players are dispatched with disdain.
No wonder the scores are so high.

Gronk

Staff member
BUY back the farm ... that is what the Broncos are plotting to do with their war chest of cash. Brisbane are flush with NRL salary cap funds courtesy both of Greg Inglis's shock exit to the Rabbitohs last summer and captain Darren Lockyer's looming retirement. And while yesterday ruling out Reds star Quade Cooper, Brisbane have a shopping list headlined by AFL defectors Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau.
The six-time premiers remain in the box seat to lure home their 21-year foundation coach Wayne Bennett next year.
But the club won't stop there, however. Revenge missions on the AFL and rival NRL teams are also planned to get back their lost sons.
The Courier-Mail can reveal that along with Hunt and Folau, the hit list includes former ex-Broncos, Dragons fullback Darius Boyd and Rabbitohs prop David Taylor.

It is believed another top target is Test No.7 Cooper Cronk, a Brisbane junior who slipped through the Broncos' net.
Hunt and Folau have already been factored into Brisbane's long-term planning, despite the fact their AFL deals are not set to expire until 2012 and 2014 respectively.
Broncos football operations manager Andrew Gee last night confirmed the door remains open next year should either Hunt or Folau opt out of their bold cross-code move.
But Gee labelled as "courageous" their new career path and anticipates both would see out their current deals.
"If K or Izzy wanted to come back, we'd have both of them, they'd be welcome back any time," Gee said.
"K and Izzy are topline players and we've spent a lot of time and effort on them, especially K, he came to us as a kid. Dave and Darius are in the same boat as former players here, but I'm not going to speculate on others."
Boyd has publicly declared he will follow Bennett if the 61-year-old coach returns to Brisbane, but securing Taylor could take another 12 months, as the 125kg South Sydney wrecking ball is signed to 2012.
Cronk is also under contract in Melbourne until the end of next year, making any earlier move highly unlikely. He would prove an ideal replacement to Lockyer in Brisbane's halves, as current No.7 Peter Wallace is a natural fit at pivot.
But the Broncos also continue to bank on the emergence of young stars Corey Norman and Ben Hunt.
"I've got total confidence in them," Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin said.
"We've spent a lot of time and money on them since they were 15-16 and they're doing a great job for us.
I don't see why we wouldn't be giving them a chance."
Wallaby flyhalf Cooper, despite manager Khoder Nasser declaring he could be a Bronco, is off the table.
"I think he's going all right for the Reds," Griffin said.
"We've got no interest. I don't watch enough rugby union to have an opinion on him."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/karmichael-hunt-israel-folau-headline-broncos-shopping-list-that-also-includes-darius-boyd-and-david-taylor/story-e6frep5x-1226034311027"

Snoochies

First Grade
Don't expect Quade to be an Eels anytime soon.

It was a similar response from Parramatta who still have room under the salary cap and are looking for a quality player in the halves.
"We've moved on," said Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne, who was involved in big money talks with Cooper last year before he signed on again with the ARU.
"He's a wonderful talent and a good bloke, but we've moved on."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ramatta-pull-out/story-fn2mcuj6-1226034278599

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he would not only have to learn our game, he would need to learn how to tackle

big gamble

Gronk

Staff member
And then learn how to play attacking footy with the fatigue that 26 tackles brings.

natheel

Coach
In todays RLW there is an article on Craig Gower and it says he will be back by May and will most likely be at the Eels.....apparently talks are happening this week.

thought we weren't interested?

Glenn

First Grade
In todays RLW there is an article on Craig Gower and it says he will be back by May and will most likely be at the Eels.....apparently talks are happening this week.

thought we weren't interested?

Probably a case of just link us with any half that becomes available.

PESC

Juniors
His manager contacted the club to see if there was any interest, the club responded with an emphatic "NO THANKS"

natheel

Coach
yep with the revelation that orford has been nothing but sh*t for raiders, then i dont want gower. if it was 2-3 yrs ago then yeh ok but now he's too old to get back into the regular fit of nrl footy.

a player who has announced theyre are leaving a club is nathan friend from titans apparently leaving at the end of the year.

would be a very good pick up if we were after him.

parra pete

Referee
Should target Matt Orford again when Campo returns. I'm pretty sure the Raiders would release him for a fee..

natheel

Coach
agree twiz if we were that desperate we would jump at the opportunity of nabbing gower mid-season. but kearney obviously has other plans in mind

PESC

Juniors
We have targets, and we are going to go after them hard, the recruitment that so many lambasted for this year had means to an end, that is, small incentive 1 year contracts filled our player roster whilst having stacks of cash freed up for 2012 to be able to go on a marquee player shopping spree.

Status
Not open for further replies.