What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrT

Juniors
Manly teen captain picked off by Parramatta in massive deal

SEA Eagles recruitment guru Noel Cleal has accused rivals Parramatta of seeking revenge on the club by throwing big bucks at the 16-year-old captain of Manly’s Harold Matthews team.

Halfback Joey Lussick, a Beacon Hill junior and younger brother of rising Manly forward Darcy, received a massive deal from the Eels that was just too good to refuse.

“I think it is an attempt to try and get something back at us,” Cleal said.
“They are responding to the success we have had with Parramatta juniors.”

Six players who were in the Eels’ nursery are now members of Manly’s NRL squad after seeing an opportunity on the peninsula - Jamie Buhrer, Tim Robinson, Tony Williams, David Williams, Jamie Lyon and Joe Galuvao.“At least I wait until they have turned 20, now they are poaching them at 16,” Cleal said.

At the same time Parramatta, who have the second biggest nursery in the NRL behind Penrith, have come under heavy fire for their recruitment policy.

“Joey is a good young player and we just got beaten by the size of the offer,” Cleal said. “They threw five times the money that we had and they have five times the amount to spend on their second-tier budget than we do. “So we weren’t even in a bull’s roar of matching their offer.”

Cleal said the same thing happened when the Sea Eagles lost forwards Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Lama Tasi to the Roosters.“That is the nature of the beast, we have a limited budget that we have to stick to.”
While the Sea Eagles have lost Joey, his 22-year-old brother will be at the club for the next couple of years and is one of a number of rising stars who will take the club into the future.

The forward made his NRL debut on Saturday night in the impressive 24-4 win over the Cowboys at Brookvale Oval. “He was always going to be a late developer because of where he plays,” Cleal said.Lussick is another of the players to have graduated from the Sea Eagles under-20 Toyota Cup side along with the likes of Kieran Foran, Jamie Buhrer, Daly Cherry-Evans, Will Hopoate and Michael Oldfield.

Source:

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.a...ain-picked-off-by-parramatta-in-massive-deal/

This kid must have some potential for us to offer 5 times more than manly

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
IFR33K, Taulima isn't on a full time contract, he's on a second tier deal completely seperate to the 4.1mill that we need to spend, the part time cap still needs to be filled and IO think they've improved the depth by signing guys like Taulima, Matt Ryan and Penese instead of Murray and Paki who have been absolute rubbish, this is an area that they've already improved on.

That makes the signing a pretty good result for the eels, we pick up an young experienceed player that can centre/wing (if we are desperate, as I see him more as a forward) and in the forwards for peanuts. Great result I say, if he turns out to be crap/does not improve we don't lose anything, if he shows improvement and forces he way into the top 17 we have got a bargin. Good to see Kearney and co are being smart with the cash.

MrT

Juniors
That makes the signing a pretty good result for the eels, we pick up an young experienceed player that can centre/wing (if we are desperate, as I see him more as a forward) and in the forwards for peanuts. Great result I say, if he turns out to be crap/does not improve we don't lose anything, if he shows improvement and forces he way into the top 17 we have got a bargin. Good to see Kearney and co are being smart with the cash.

are you kidding? You think Tautai has the pace to play centre/wing?
Fui Fui is faster than him. I honestly cannot believe what you see in him. have a look at what's off contract and you'll soon see that there are many players better than him

Stagger eel

Staff member
Fui Fui is faster than him. I honestly cannot believe what you see in him. have a look at what's off contract and you'll soon see that there are many players better than him

yes, and those players will earn fulltime contracts T, this is the point we're trying to make, Taulima has played what 30 maybe 40 fg games??? as opposed to Paki Afu who's struggling to get into the state cup side??

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

yeah but I don't think they will play for 20k and a meat pie and coke after each game.

Mate it is all about building a squad of 35 players that are all capable of pushing for a top 17 spot, not all players are going to be superstars.

Back on the potential signing with a high profile from another club, I recently heard on radio that Greg Inglis is supposedly unhappy at the bunnies, am I drawing a long bow with his connection with Kearney?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate it is all about building a squad of 35 players that are all capable of pushing for a top 17 spot, not all players are going to be superstars.

I think some of these whingers are like the negative versions of boxhead - they think every player we sign is going to play first grade every week.

MrT

Juniors
well the last 3 we have signed may not be in the top 17 or even top 25 next year. When are we going to start signing 1st graders? I'm not interested in a Wenty premiership

boxhead

First Grade
well the last 3 we have signed may not be in the top 17 or even top 25 next year. When are we going to start signing 1st graders? I'm not interested in a Wenty premiership

Oh my god......Mate, we sign players as they come Just because we haven't ANNOUNCED any first team signings recently doesn't mean we aren't doing that at the moment. FFS what is wrong with announcing depth signings whilst we are trying to sign other players?

Bazal

Post Whore
My god, it's amazing how few people seem to understand the way a football club becomes a success....

MrT

Juniors
Oh my god......Mate, we sign players as they come Just because we haven't ANNOUNCED any first team signings recently doesn't mean we aren't doing that at the moment. FFS what is wrong with announcing depth signings whilst we are trying to sign other players?

you're all missing my point.
Are the Titans making depth signings just yet?
are the Knights making depth signings yet?
FFS we're meant to have the most room to move in the cap and you people are happy with Tautai.

FIRST you sign the big guns
THEN when you know what you have left, you make the depth signings.
While we're wasting time on 16 year old halfbacks and depth signings the big fish are going elsewhere.

I agree you need depth signings, but this isn't the time. Was there a scramble from other clubs for Ryan, Penese and Tautai? so what was the rush?

The good players off contract are the first to get snapped up

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you're all missing my point.
Are the Titans making depth signings just yet?
are the Knights making depth signings yet?
FFS we're meant to have the most room to move in the cap and you people are happy with Tautai.

FIRST you sign the big guns
THEN when you know what you have left, you make the depth signings.
While we're wasting time on 16 year old halfbacks and depth signings the big fish are going elsewhere.

I agree you need depth signings, but this isn't the time. Was there a scramble from other clubs for Ryan, Penese and Tautai? so what was the rush?

The good players off contract are the first to get snapped up

We already got the good players we need.

We can afford to sit back and be picky with up-and-comers.

Have faith.

Bazal

Post Whore
Please enlighten us

Check out the history of the reserve grade sides of the successful teams....I imagine you'll learn something. A Wenty premiership should be exactly what you're looking for, because it means the depth players are quality and in form...

Not to mention, how do you know who else we are or aren't talking to? The club is more than capable of talking to more than one player at a time....

MrT

Juniors
We already got the good players we need.

We can afford to sit back and be picky with up-and-comers.

Have faith.
Poupou, I have faith in the players we have already bought and some young guys coming through. I can see what Nolan and the staff are doing. I haven't seen us go for so many young players from other clubs. I heard we signed 4 young players from the Bulldogs.

There is definitly a long term view being taken here no doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.