What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

Immortal
Our recruitment thus far has been very ordinary I'm afraid

I'd have to agree and I'm not all that convinced about Sandow either as I've mentioned and copped flak for previously. It appears we are doing a Melbourne in chasing particular players for a particular job. Biggest problem is we only have Hayne whereas they have Slater, Cronk and Smith with which to build around..... our recruitment to this point has been underwhelming.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
backrowers not so much but not all centres can play left and right.

Gasnier - his in an away would be useless on the right hand side
Tahu - has played both sides but his right hand fend and ability to get on the outside with his in and away makes him a better left centre.

Someone like Loko would struggle on the right IMO while Morgan is equally compatible on either side because he runs more angles then beating players one on one. Tonga has been a right centre his whole career, even in his jnr days at parramatta and I doubt he would enjoy moving to the left.

I agree with what you're saying except for the details.

Gasnier plays on the right and Willie Tonga on the left.

caylo

Bench
I'd have to agree and I'm not all that convinced about Sandow either as I've mentioned and copped flak for previously. It appears we are doing a Melbourne in chasing particular players for a particular job. Biggest problem is we only have Hayne whereas they have Slater, Cronk and Smith with which to build around..... our recruitment to this point has been underwhelming.

Sandow - genuine top class player

Roberts - 80 first grade games, set the world on fire in 2009 and had a injury plagued 2010. A genuine first grade player

Tonga - potential, more a solid back then a star

Tautai, Penese and Ryan - depth signings at best

Who are we losing thou? Mitchell, Reddy and Robson? it isn't like we are hemorrhaging players and not replacing them.

If we can snap up another quality player (as rumored) and a mid teir player we have done very well tbh. Like I said if you sign (pure example) D and T Williams then we have a good side from 1-17 and have plenty of depth covering all positions including the backline where we struggled this year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Yeah but like the Storm before that had that trio, the eels have to start some where. We know have a decent spine in Sandow, Keating and Hayne. Also I respect your opinion on Sandow but compare him to what type of player Cooper was at the same age - Cooper was struggling to even be a NRL player at 21. Sandow is 100% imprvement on what we have.

And the players that we have signed in Pense, Ryan and Tautai are there for depth and to put pressure on the top 17 players something we have not had in a while.

MrT

Juniors
Yeah but like the Storm before that had that trio, the eels have to start some where. We know have a decent spine in Sandow, Keating and Hayne. Also I respect your opinion on Sandow but compare him to what type of player Cooper was at the same age - Cooper was struggling to even be a NRL player at 21. Sandow is 100% imprvement on what we have.

And the players that we have signed in Pense, Ryan and Tautai are there for depth and to put pressure on the top 17 players something we have not had in a while.

My point is if we had $400k to throw at Hopate, why aren't we looking to sign another quality player and then look to make the depth signings?

The Colonel

Immortal
Sandow - genuine top class player

Roberts - 80 first grade games, set the world on fire in 2009 and had a injury plagued 2010. A genuine first grade player

Tonga - potential, more a solid back then a star

Tautai, Penese and Ryan - depth signings at best

Who are we losing thou? Mitchell, Reddy and Robson? it isn't like we are hemorrhaging players and not replacing them.

If we can snap up another quality player (as rumored) and a mid teir player we have done very well tbh. Like I said if you sign (pure example) D and T Williams then we have a good side from 1-17 and have plenty of depth covering all positions including the backline where we struggled this year.

Compared to a team like the Titans who have managed to sign Myles, Idris, Champion and now Henry our recruitment is average at best. there are potentially better players on the market then those we have recruited and a good many have passed over our club.

Sandow - a player yet to lead his team into the finals. Has played some good games and is rough around the edges. Until he leads either the Bunnies or us into the finals he shouldn't be considered top class.

Roberts - an enigmatic player with not quite 100 games in first grade who has yet to cement a position - has played half, 5/8, hooker, fullback and the bench utility role which imo is his best position.

Tonga - a good young centre who potentially improves our backline to a point.

Penese, Tautai and Ryan - Yes, depth signings at best. Tautai has played the most first grade of all three and that realy doesn't say much.

IF we manage to land a player for the rest of this season and we jag this topline centre that we are 'apparently' linked to our recruitment may improve. IMO our recruitment would have been much better had we found a few more players that can take pressure off of our star in Hayne in regards to more ball playing options. We have upgraded from Robson, and that is a step ahead. How far remains to be seen.

To be perfectly honest the most pleasing signing for me is Jason Seage and he will probably get more time in NYC.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
My point is if we had $400k to throw at Hopate, why aren't we looking to sign another quality player and then look to make the depth signings?

I am sure we are looking for further top 17 type players, but it shouldn't stop us from sign 2nd tier players either. I just think some of us are complaining to much before we know what our top 25 will be for next year. I would rather have a whinge after we have finalised our squad ( if i need to ) but not before.

MrT

Juniors
Compared to a team like the Titans who have managed to sign Myles, Idris, Champion and now Henry our recruitment is average at best. there are potentially better players on the market then those we have recruited and a good many have passed over our club.

Sandow - a player yet to lead his team into the finals. Has played some good games and is rough around the edges. Until he leads either the Bunnies or us into the finals he shouldn't be considered top class.

Roberts - an enigmatic player with not quite 100 games in first grade who has yet to cement a position - has played half, 5/8, hooker, fullback and the bench utility role which imo is his best position.

Penese, Tautai and Ryan - Yes, depth signings at best. Tautai has played the most first grade of all three and that realy doesn't say much.

IF we manage to land a player for the rest of this season and we jag this topline centre that we are 'apparently' linked to our recruitment may improve. IMO our recruitment would have been much better had we found a few more players that can take pressure off of our star in Hayne in regards to more ball playing options. We have upgraded from Robson, and that is a step ahead. How far remains to be seen.

To be perfectly honest the most pleasing signing for me is Jason Seage and he will probably get more time in NYC.

You really rate Seage that much? Will be interesting to see him play next year. O'Hanlon re-signing is bigger than those 3 depth signings

Stagger eel

Staff member
we really signed tautai. this has to be a joke. surely our new rectuitment & retention group headed by our coach must have better available talent in juniors then this guy

compared to our other 2nd tier signings such as Paki Afu and Brad Murray, who's been playing in the Bundy cup side, Taulima would be a welcomed addition

The Colonel

Immortal
You really rate Seage that much? Will be interesting to see him play next year. O'Hanlon re-signing is bigger than those 3 depth signings

It isn't whether or not he is rated.... I just think he could potentially be the organiser we lack from what I have seen of him in the lower grades. That is where I see the benefit for us in the hiring of Nolan.

O'Hanlon is a much better acquisition than any of the three depth signings but we already have him at the club. Be interested to see what they do with Rory Brien as well.

El Diablo

Post Whore

no you just made me feel like slitting my wrists :lol:

IFR33K

Coach
compared to our other 2nd tier signings such as Paki Afu and Brad Murray, who's been playing in the Bundy cup side, Taulima would be a welcomed addition

A few weeks ago, when he was named in the forwards, for the sharkies, our forums were laughing at him. Now, if we have in fact signed him, I start hearing ''he tackles hard, he runs straight, he has plenty of potential''.......

This aint directed at you stagger, but ffs, its about time some people called a spade a spade.

And all this talk about willy tonga,being past it and so on. The guy is all class, and would be a welcomed addition, to our line up.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
A few weeks ago, when he was named in the forwards, for the sharkies, our forums were laughing at him. Now, if we have in fact signed him, I start hearing ''he tackles hard, he runs straight, he has plenty of potential''.......

This aint directed at you stagger, but ffs, its about time some people called a spade a spade.

And all this talk about willy tonga,being past it and so on. The guy is all class, and would be a welcomed addition, to our line up.

not to sure if you are having a go at my posts, but I have never bagged him out, in fact if look at some of my older posts from 2008-09, I support Tautia quite a lot. I am actually excited with him returning to the eels if it is correct, the kid could really develop into something under Kearney. Tautai showed a lot more promise then Lasalo and look at how he is going under Kearney.

caylo

Bench
You might want to sort that out before you qualify as a doctor.

Could be crucial if you are doing say, amputations.

haha... good memory Bigfella but I've given away med school and decided to study dentistry instead.

You would think knowing right from left would be crucial but you extract a tooth (instead of amputation) you go over it 10 times which tooth and why and you don't make a mistake. Its more the times when you don't concentrate what your doing that you get it mixed up, a lot of people have the problem and apparently it has to do with the way you were first taught things.

parra pete

Referee
haha... good memory Bigfella but I've given away med school and decided to study dentistry instead.

You would think knowing right from left would be crucial but you extract a tooth (instead of amputation) you go over it 10 times which tooth and why and you don't make a mistake. Its more the times when you don't concentrate what your doing that you get it mixed up, a lot of people have the problem and apparently it has to do with the way you were first taught things.

Ouch...Plenty of jobs for dentists in the bush....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts