What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
It's a tough call for Tonga

MICHAEL THOMPSON | July 13th, 2011

WILLIE Tonga hasn't given a firm indication of whether or not he'll leave the North Queensland Cowboys but the Queensland and Australian representative said 'anything's possible' in regard to his playing future.
Tonga played for 47 minutes during North Queensland's 22-12 victory over the Newcastle Knights on Monday but sustained an injured sternum on 32 minutes courtesy of an Adam MacDougall tackle that has since seen the Knights centre hit with a grade one dangerous contact charge.
The Cowboys' star centre also copped a badly corked knee and will fight to take his place on the field against the Wests Tigers this weekend, although it's his decision to test himself on the NRL open market that's the talk of the football community.
Tonga said he'll 'definitely' make a decision on his future in the next two weeks - the period of time granted him by the Cowboys after he told club officials he was unhappy in Townsville.
The 27-year-old was reluctant to discuss the full details of his reasons for wanting to look elsewhere, but did reveal there were off-field issues at play.
"It's a hard one, I don't want to go too much into it but like I've said I'll sort it out in the next couple of weeks," Tonga said.
"But I'm not ruling anything out at all, I love the club and I love the boys.
"Me moving from the Bulldogs to the Cowboys was probably the best thing I could've done at that stage in my career when I did make that transition.
"As far as the footy side of it goes I couldn't be happier - I want to make that clear - if I was to move on it would have nothing to do with anyone at the club or the club itself."
Reports emerged late last week that Tonga had been linked with a move to the Parramatta Eels although Parramatta officials and Tonga himself have dismissed the claims.
The Eels however could be in the box seat to sign Tonga considering that younger brother Esi has already been signed to the club for next year.
Tonga still has another year to run on his four-year contract with the Cowboys but it's believed the rep centre has been unhappy with his Townsville-based lifestyle for at least the past six months.
Despite the uncertainty surrounding his future at the club Tonga said nothing would distract him from helping his Cowboys teammates secure more victories without star playmaker Johnathan Thurston leading into the NRL finals.
"There's talk about me and my future and I'll clear that up in the next couple of weeks, but for now I'm at the Cowboys and I'm fully committed to winning a few games before Johnno gets back," he said.
'Hopefully I'll build on last night and get on top of my injuries and be right for next week."
Tonga said his suspected sternum injury had caused him discomfort and a loss of sleep following his team's stirring win before a 17,212-strong Newcastle crowd.
"I'm not sure if I've done a bit of rib cartilage, it's pretty painful and I only had two hours sleep last night.
"I got caught a little bit and there's limited strength and stuff, but other than that I felt all right out there."
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/07/13/247761_sport.html

Gronk

Staff member
COWBOYS officials have received no further updates on the saga surrounding star centre Willie Tonga's desire to test himself on the open market.
Tonga appeared to take time out during a morning gym session at Cowboys HQ yesterday to reflect on the issues weighing on his mind, staring at the training paddock outside for about a minute before a teammate regained his attention.
The Australian and Origin representative is certainly weighing up his options but Cowboys general manager of football Peter Parr said there had been no developments in Tonga's two-week window to consider his playing options elsewhere. Tonga is believed to be unhappy with his Townsville-based lifestyle but has emphatically dismissed claims he is unsatisfied at the Cowboys.
The 27-year-old centre has been named to play the Wests Tigers at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night despite sustaining a inured sternum and corked knee.
"When a decision is made we'll let everyone know," Parr said yesterday.
Parramatta is reportedly in the box seat to sign Tonga following their recent signing of Tonga's younger brother Esi.
Adding fuel to the rumour mill is the fact that Parramatta legend Peter Sterling told Channel 9 viewers on Friday night that the club was set to announce a major signing in the coming fortnight.
Tonga has told the Townsville Bulletin "anything's possible" regarding his playing future but would be forever grateful to the club should he decide to move.
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/07/14/248121_sport.html

Tony Bongo

Bench
We can all celebrate Hindy's 300th game this week and next week we can celebrate Willie Tonga coming home. Nice work to not let anything overshadow such a great milestone for a legend of our club.

boxhead

First Grade
We can all celebrate Hindy's 300th game this week and next week we can celebrate Willie Tonga coming home. Nice work to not let anything overshadow such a great milestone for a legend of our club.

I think you hit the nail right on the head there, if the deal is done it would make sense for them not to announce it until after Hindy's 300th. Of course though, to me it's mostly just typical recruitment politics; don't reveal anything until the deal and release are actually finalised.

Gronk

Staff member
News Ltd has just tweeted that Gaz is going to retire this year. I hope we have signed Willie Tonga already as the Dragons will have a heap to spend on a centre.

Maroubra Eel

Coach

That's why each thread has a different topic. You can read the Hindy one if you wish.

Anyway back on topic...any rumours?

goosie

Juniors
not happy with all the crap goin on in penrith especially after 10 grand fine for having two drinks celebrating brothers bday.

goosie

Juniors
on tv after one of his segments somebody asked can you give us atleast a hint??
he said penrith .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts