What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

betcats

Referee
Our roster is still uncertain, we have had unexpected departures and can only afford to put juniors in our roster. We have lost one of the most promising juniors in a long time (Burton) to another club. Most of this has been verified by Blade23. Thing could be a LOT better. So maybe some of the concern that Kilkenny has raised have some basis in fact, unlike the betcat dribble.

It's not to say we won't have a good year - I certainly hope so and believe that we probably will on the back of the roster we have. The lack of quality coaching is a worry.

Oh bullshit it’s based on us letting Mansour go. Our roster is looking very good, if he can’t admit that he is being ridiculous. He spent last off-season doing the same thing being critical of every decision because we let Egan go.

Jane Murray

Bench
Our roster is still uncertain, we have had unexpected departures and can only afford to put juniors in our roster. We have lost one of the most promising juniors in a long time (Burton) to another club. Most of this has been verified by Blade23. Thing could be a LOT better. So maybe some of the concern that Kilkenny has raised have some basis in fact, unlike the betcat dribble.

It's not to say we won't have a good year - I certainly hope so and believe that we probably will on the back of the roster we have. The lack of quality coaching is a worry.
Really? Burton only signed because of the huge amount of money that was offered, and accepted. As for the rest of your comment, that is laughable. Ivan, and co, will ensure that our players are adequately coached. Ivan has a great record coaching young men.

betcats

Referee
Being critical of the club for Burton leaving is ridiculous, we did everything we could within reason to keep him. You have to be realistic in your expectations of what is actually possible with a salary cap, being critical of our management for not keeping Burton just makes you look like an idiot imo.

Smug Panther

First Grade

We picked Luai over Burton so that issue is totally sorted and we kept who we wanted

betcats

Referee
We picked Luai over Burton so that issue is totally sorted and we kept who we wanted

This. Unless you wanted Burton to be made five eight and Luai to leave there really isnt any reason to be critical of the club for losing Burton. I did want Burton over Luai this time last year and I am still not critical of them because Jerome has more than justified he place in the side. So outside of shafting Luai there is nothing more we could of done. Blade said when Burton signed to the dogs that he knocked back their initial offer and then they came back with more money so we obviously gave Burton a decent offer, there isnt much we can do about a club like the dogs making a big offer like that to him when he is stuck behind Luai.

betcats

Referee
As for our salary cap being stretched and us not being able to afford much right now, half our starting side from last season was in the top five players in their position. Kiks, Fish, Yeo, Api, Cleary Luai, Critta. These guys all performed like stars and were near the best players in their spots imo. Luai and Critta may of been in their first full years but there weren't many better than them in their positions last year. You can almost throw Edwards in there also tbh. Then we have the extremely promising kids we did manage to keep in Staines and Leniu. We have done well to keep this side together and improve the back line. Another prop to fill out the forward depth and I think it is a very good result.

Smug Panther

First Grade
As for our salary cap being stretched and us not being able to afford much right now, half our starting side from last season was in the top five players in their position. Kiks, Fish, Yeo, Api, Cleary Luai, Critta. These guys all performed like stars and were near the best players in their spots imo. Luai and Critta may of been in their first full years but there weren't many better than them in their positions last year. You can almost throw Edwards in there also tbh.
Side is stacked

panthersam

Juniors

For me it’s not having these opinions that’s strange, it’s more that using the same thinking doesn’t seem to apply with all the facts on the table.

I’ll use the Burton one as an example, how can someone be so concerned about losing him but then make no mention of the fact that we have managed to retain four of the most promising juniors in the competition right now (Romey, Critta, Spencer and Staines). Two of those players in theIt first full season of first grade were close to the best if not the best in their positions already.

Jane Murray

Bench
Being critical of the club for Burton leaving is ridiculous, we did everything we could within reason to keep him. You have to be realistic in your expectations of what is actually possible with a salary cap, being critical of our management for not keeping Burton just makes you look like an idiot imo.
The bulldogs paid overs, and I believe, Matt will regret his move. If the Dogs do not improve Burton, and Kyle, will be the fall guys.

panthersam

Juniors
As for our salary cap being stretched and us not being able to afford much right now, half our starting side from last season was in the top five players in their position. Kiks, Fish, Yeo, Api, Cleary Luai, Critta. These guys all performed like stars and were near the best players in their spots imo. Luai and Critta may of been in their first full years but there weren't many better than them in their positions last year. You can almost throw Edwards in there also tbh. Then we have the extremely promising kids we did manage to keep in Staines and Leniu. We have done well to keep this side together and improve the back line. Another prop to fill out the forward depth and I think it is a very good result.

Nailed this, pretty much wrote my post better than I did :joy:

All of those players would start and be one of the better players in pretty much every single other team in the competition.

betcats

Referee
For me it’s not having these opinions that’s strange, it’s more that using the same thinking doesn’t seem to apply with all the facts on the table.

I’ll use the Burton one as an example, how can someone be so concerned about losing him but then make no mention of the fact that we have managed to retain four of the most promising juniors in the competition right now (Romey, Critta, Spencer and Staines). Two of those players in theIt first full season of first grade were close to the best if not the best in their positions already.

Exactly. We have actually only lost two guys from our top 13 and I think they were both planned for. Jimmy T and Sauce. Losing Zane sucked but if that was the price of getting Leniu over the line and I am happy to pay it and bring in another depth forward. Zane was great for us but not irreplaceable.

WestyLife

First Grade

It's been covered but we only lost Burton due to the dogs offering big money and a starting halves spot which we can't because Luai.

Even then we re-signed 4 Juniors.

Luai
Yeo
Crichton
Lenui
Staines

While improving the backline. Mansour being first grade standard is irrelevant as the roster is better balanced now. To'o/Edwards cover the power running set starts with Staines providing genuine speed.

panthersam

Juniors
It's been covered but we only lost Burton due to the dogs offering big money and a starting halves spot which we can't because Luai.

Luai
Yeo
Crichton
Lenui
Staines

While improving the backline. Mansour being first grade standard is irrelevant as the roster is better balanced now. To'o/Edwards cover the power running set starts with Staines providing genuine speed.

Not only do they cover the power running set starts, I think they have both surpassed Josh in this regards too.

Every time To’o touched the ball last year it felt like he was making 15 metres minimum lol he also has the added bonus of outstanding footwork that he can use to beat a man that Sauce didn’t really use in his game.

BxTom

Bench

Luai
Yeo
Crichton
Lenui
Staines

Who mentioned Mansour? Wasn't me. I am more concerned about the forwards. We have a good looking backline, although the possble combination of Staines and Naden poses defensive questions.The 5 players that you call juniors are NRL players and Yeo, Leniu and Luai haven't been juniors for some time.

WestyLife

First Grade
Who mentioned Mansour? Wasn't me. I am more concerned about the forwards. We have a good looking backline, although the possble combination of Staines and Naden poses defensive questions.The 5 players that you call juniors are NRL players and Yeo, Leniu and Luai haven't been juniors for some time.

Mansour got mentioned somewhere.

You said we lost one of the most promising juniors the club has developed. While true we also kept a bunch as well is the point. All those player were developed by Panthers and get re-signed this year.

The forwards aren't as good in terms of depth but we've got some of the better top 17 props in fish and Lenui with the rest being solid squad fillers. I could be wrong but it seems people want something that isn't possible in a salary cap comp unless you cheat.

We were spoiled last year because a lot of the roster was so cheap due to being first year rookies essentially. Even Luai who's been here a while would've needed a reasonable upgrade after being a top 5 half last year.

As for the defensive thing it's definitely a potential issue although Ivan had a worse tigers roster beat Roosters and Storm x2 purely on being defensively sound.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal

Goes further than that. Look at the depth guys we got. Sorensen has played finals before. Momo in GF's. Capewell SOO

and re-signed some very promising 20 year olds

Kilkenny just can't get past Gus getting the tap on the shoulder

franklin2323

Immortal
Not only do they cover the power running set starts, I think they have both surpassed Josh in this regards too.

Every time To’o touched the ball last year it felt like he was making 15 metres minimum lol he also has the added bonus of outstanding footwork that he can use to beat a man that Sauce didn’t really use in his game.

We probably do lose the power with Staines but speed will beat the 1st chaser several times too so the overall outcome should be the same

BxTom

Bench
Mansour got mentioned somewhere.

You said we lost one of the most promising juniors the club has developed. While true we also kept a bunch as well is the point. All those player were developed by Panthers and get re-signed this year.

The forwards aren't as good in terms of depth but we've got some of the better top 17 props in fish and Lenui with the rest being solid squad fillers. I could be wrong but it seems people want something that isn't possible in a salary cap comp unless you cheat.

We were spoiled last year because a lot of the roster was so cheap due to being first year rookies essentially. Even Luai who's been here a while would've needed a reasonable upgrade after being a top 5 half last year.

As for the defensive thing it's definitely a potential issue although Ivan had a worse tigers roster beat Roosters and Storm x2 purely on being defensively sound.
Mansour was brought up by betcats to shift the goalposts. This has nothing to do with Mansour. I'm neutral on Mansour. As my original post, I agree with Kilkenny that there is some uncertainty in regards to the pre season in regards to having an incomplete roster. I understand the reasons (mostly) but having to look around at juniors to complete our roster is a little concerning. Late departure of Televano is concerning.It means that we are likely to have perhaps 6 - 7 players that have had no pre season training with the squad. I know many of the people disagree with me will say a game plan is easy to pick up. They are largely the same people that were complaining that Hook's game plans were too simple. Anyway, if they have no concerns, good for them. ..

ving