What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Jack's a suspension magnet.

Jack was another 'potential' deal that Gould did, like Moylan, Blake, and Reg.

I adored much of what Gould did when at Penrith but I think the above deals (including Merrin's too) were excessive.I think Gould and the club were fortunate to offload Moylan and Merrin without the deals costing.

Once Gould left this ability left with him. I can't forget Griffin and the mess of his payout too. (that though needs to be put at the boards and Gould's feet)

I think Jack is quite a good player. He is not worth $400,000 though. (especially when you look at his discipline record)
Jack struggles when he crosses the white line, and gets fatigued that's when his discpline fails. I think it will continue to dog him all of his playing days.

Back in the 70's and 80's he would have been lauded in every pub for his work. But not now. Time and the game has changed.

Last edited:

panthersam

Juniors
Simply not true, Far from it. It’s been a really poor off season.

We’ve retained a number of players, all good there, but have a look at the outgoings.

The Crichton, Luai, Yeo, resigning mirror the RCG, Blake, Moylan re-signings.

Why is it any different?

To say it’s been a ‘really poor off season’ is also simply not true lol

We are going into season 2021 with one of the strongest if not the strongest team in the competition - a team full of great players with some outstanding personality that makes it so easy to get behind them every step of the way. We have had players turning down other teams and bigger money to stay with this team because I’m sure they know the chance they have at some greatness in the years to come.

You mentioned the outgoing players:

Tamou - was immense last season and absolutely will be a loss both on and off the field. Go back before this season though and how did everybody feel about him? He was getting compared to the signing of Brent Kite by some of our fans.

Tetevano - Another great season, another loss, but comes with the counteracting positive of Spencer Leniu now being a fully fledged member of the top 17. If you don’t agree with that about Spencer then you didn’t watch him with every opportunity that he got to step into the field for us last season.

Mansour - A good season in 2020 (along with every single one of our players) but was made to look a lot better on the end of a backline that has the ability to most likely make any winger look half decent. Prior to 2020 unfortunately Josh was battling to stay a first grade player, and this was shown when he was dropped from the first grade side. Do you think Josh will be the difference in turning Souths into a premiership winning side this season? I really doubt that

Hetherington while looking a good player obviously has his own issues to deal with.

To me, the positives of our retentions far outweigh the negatives of losing the players that we have.

I really don’t understand the negativity of some on these forums, and it was the reason why I’ve held off from posting for a very long time. It was more understandable when we were actually a basket case both on and off the field, but it’s quite clear that is not that case at the moment.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

We are going into season 2021 with one of the strongest if not the strongest team in the competition - a team full of great players with some outstanding personality that makes it so easy to get behind them every step of the way. We have had players turning down other teams and bigger money to stay with this team because I’m sure they know the chance they have at some greatness in the years to come.

Tamou - was immense last season and absolutely will be a loss both on and off the field. Go back before this season though and how did everybody feel about him? He was getting compared to the signing of Brent Kite by some of our fans.

Tetevano - Another great season, another loss, but comes with the counteracting positive of Spencer Leniu now being a fully fledged member of the top 17. If you don’t agree with that about Spencer then you didn’t watch him with every opportunity that he got to step into the field for us last season.

Mansour - A good season in 2020 (along with every single one of our players) but was made to look a lot better on the end of a backline that has the ability to most likely make any winger look half decent. Prior to 2020 unfortunately Josh was battling to stay a first grade player, and this was shown when he was dropped from the first grade side. Do you think Josh will be the difference in turning Souths into a premiership winning side this season? I really doubt that

Hetherington while looking a good player obviously has his own issues to deal with.

To me, the positives of our retentions far outweigh the negatives of losing the players that we have.

I really don’t understand the negativity of some on these forums, and it was the reason why I’ve held off from posting for a very long time. It was more understandable when we were actually a basket case both on and off the field, but it’s quite clear that is not that case at the moment.

Nailed it mate, well said

GongPanther

Referee
From Weidler's column this morning: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-folau-says-club-sponsor-20210213-p5728z.html

Dark Knight
There are rumblings at the Knights about David Klemmer. There have been whispers that all is not right between Klemmer and sections of the club. My tip to club management is to get the former Bulldogs star on side. To be a top-eight team, or better, they need a happy Klemmer.

Is he worth considering if Knight's are chipping in?
Klemmer would be a fantastic acquisition.

The_Frog

First Grade
His 2019 was pretty good too, in a side that fell short of expectations. It was the first couple of years, before he was captain, that were disappointing.

Klemmer would be a fantastic acquisition.

He wouldn't come cheap, and the Knights would be crazy to let him go.

franklin2323

Immortal
We are a development club. When looking at the departures take a look at the gains coming in. Then something that is often overlooked look at the young players in the squad who will improve another year older.

This and the talent we have is just going to get better

franklin2323

Immortal

Welcome to the forum btw. Glad you joined

I will add to that. I have watched a few games with the new rules and looks faster. Take note in the All star game this week. That being the case teams will go smaller

Already teams had locks like Finucane and Trbojevic playing prop.

I have Storm, Us and Roosters top 4. The other 3 teams have small locks.

Dogs will struggle early on. Beg for Burton which will give us Napa. Then add another middle mid season and we have size if we need it.

Original Name

Juniors
Poached this huge kid.
Was one of the standouts in the SG Ball thrashing we gave the Dragons. Beat them 64-10. Halves, this guy a second rower, and Ryley Smith were the big stand outs. Smith was the guy a class above everyone else on the field though. Absolute freak that kid. When he debuts expect a lot of comparisons to Brandon Smith.

Last edited:

panthersam

Juniors
Welcome to the forum btw. Glad you joined

I will add to that. I have watched a few games with the new rules and looks faster. Take note in the All star game this week. That being the case teams will go smaller

Already teams had locks like Finucane and Trbojevic playing prop.

I have Storm, Us and Roosters top 4. The other 3 teams have small locks.

Dogs will struggle early on. Beg for Burton which will give us Napa. Then add another middle mid season and we have size if we need it.

Thanks mate - I have an immense passion for both the club and the sport in general! I think it’s such an undervalued sport in terms of entertainment, at its best I would stack it up against any other.

I’ve long been a lurker of these forums (it says I joined in 2013 but from memory it was about 10 years before that :sweat_smile:) with an occasional post here and there but I’ve more recently wanted to find a way to express my love and what I’d like to think knowledge of the game and thought why not get amongst it with my fellow Panthers tragics haha and like I said in the previous post our team is so likeable at the moment that I think it should be easy posting about them in the coming seasons!

Original Name

Juniors
None taken mate.
Ivan didn't rate Hetherington. Didn't like the wage he was on either.
Tamou and Tetevano are losses.
I would have loved to have kept Tamou. I can see from afar what positive influence he has had already on the Tigers. He will be missed. On and off the field.

I expect Leota and Leniu to go to another level this year to fill some of the breach. Eisenhuth will be solid and Martin's future is in the middle, he will most likely play middle and edge this year. Lindsay Smith will come into calculations later in the year.
Sorensen could even play a bit of middle if needed.
We do need 1 more good option for balance but with limited funds it won't be a class player. We are paying for the sins of paying players like RCG and Blake at other clubs. Take that out of the equation and we get the player we need.
Still there are clubs right now shopping players around weeks out from round 1.
Canberra landed a great budget buy in Nicholl Klokstad a few years back weeks out from round 1.
With a bit of patience and a bit of luck we might come up with the player we need to round out our pack.
Capewell is able to play middle too if need be. He's quality in the forwards.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thanks mate - I have an immense passion for both the club and the sport in general! I think it’s such an undervalued sport in terms of entertainment, at its best I would stack it up against any other.

I’ve long been a lurker of these forums (it says I joined in 2013 but from memory it was about 10 years before that :sweat_smile:) with an occasional post here and there but I’ve more recently wanted to find a way to express my love and what I’d like to think knowledge of the game and thought why not get amongst it with my fellow Panthers tragics haha and like I said in the previous post our team is so likeable at the moment that I think it should be easy posting about them in the coming seasons!

Pretty much nailed why I am here.

I am not sure we will have too many neutrals still but as far a fans of the club and casual fans of the game spot on. Should play an exciting brand of footy with some young up and comers

franklin2323

Immortal
Poached this huge kid.
Was one of the standouts in the SG Ball thrashing we gave the Dragons. Beat them 64-10. Halves, this guy a second rower, and Ryley Smith were the big stand outs. Smith was the guy a class above everyone else on the field though. Absolute freak that kid. When he debuts expect a lot of comparisons to Brandon Smith.

He was good. Hopefully Smith stays with the sport has a huge future if he does

BxTom

Bench
Poor blokes struggling to tell the difference between Yeo and RCG, it’s hard to take what he is saying seriously.
Our roster is still uncertain, we have had unexpected departures and can only afford to put juniors in our roster. We have lost one of the most promising juniors in a long time (Burton) to another club. Most of this has been verified by Blade23. Thing could be a LOT better. So maybe some of the concern that Kilkenny has raised have some basis in fact, unlike the betcat dribble.

It's not to say we won't have a good year - I certainly hope so and believe that we probably will on the back of the roster we have. The lack of quality coaching is a worry.

Latest posts