What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Girds89

Bench
Well that says it all.

You’d move the best defensive FB in the game, away from FB.

Makes perfect sense.

Yep in a pinch i would because laurie has been exceptional there filling in. Absolutely brilliant...

Hes never played wing in the nrl or cup.

Dyls played wing for australia and at nrl level.

Im dyla biggest fan. Always have been. Id never move him but if it was to stop laurie going wing i would.

Girds89

Bench
This is why we kept Staines over him, though Laurie was always a better talent. He is also wasted at 14 if he is only been given 5 mins a game if that.

Yep the club knew laurie wasnt a winger back then and they had plans for charlie for either wing or fb if dyl didmt pick up which he obviously did. So charlie offered a bit more coverage in the backline. And laurie wasnt getting a look in at 6 all those years ago when luai was locked up long term

Nothings changed.

They dont see laurie as a winger.

Fangs

Coach
Laurie on the wing isn't just the defence and finishing it's aggregate metres.

Edwards/Turuva/To'o/Crichton/Mansour. We've always had the yards. He needs to make those numbers up when Turuva leaves. Carries on kick returns vs first hit up from the red zone are a bit different.

Frankus

Juniors
can you see Cole in the 14 (should Laurie be the 6) - with Cole giving Kenny a breather?
I don't see why not. We need some unpredictability. Luai offers that and Laurie does too. I've always thought Luai is at his best when he takes the line (then mixes in his short kicking and passing game). Laurie has shown he is willing to do that (take on the line) and he looks good when he does, creating half chances alot of the time. Give him the jersey and I think he will prove a real strike player. When he played 6 for the tigers I thought he handled it very well in a side that was getting belted most weeks. If anyone has any doubts whether he can handle it - watch round 24 last year Warriors v Tigers. Laurie absolutely carved them up.

Cole could develop into a fine player. But I just think Laurie is what we need right now. Obviously this is a moot point when Nathan is back. But next year he needs to be given his chance. I will be a little disappointed if he is not our preferred 6 in round 1 2025.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Laurie on the wing isn't just the defence and finishing its aggregate metres.

Edwards/Turuva/To'o/Crichton/Mansour. We've always had the yards. He needs to make those numbers up when Turuva leaves. Carries on kick returns vs first hit up from the red zone are a bit different.
No one is suggesting he’s a replacement for Tito.
He can cover the wing from 14 if he’s picked on the bench, is all that’s being said.

6 or FB are his best positions

Girds89

Bench
I don't see why not. We need some unpredictability. Luai offers that and Laurie does too. I've always thought Luai is at his best when he takes the line (then mixes in his short kicking and passing game). Laurie has shown he is willing to do that (take on the line) and he looks good when he does, creating half chances alot of the time. Give him the jersey and I think he will prove a real strike player. When he played 6 for the tigers I thought he handled it very well in a side that was getting belted most weeks. If anyone has any doubts whether he can handle it - watch round 24 last year Warriors v Tigers. Laurie absolutely carved them up.

Cole could develop into a fine player. But I just think Laurie is what we need right now. Obviously this is a moot point when Nathan is back. But next year he needs to be given his chance. I will be a little disappointed if he is not our preferred 6 in round 1 2025.

Completely agree. I thought he was strong at 6 in a shit aide at the tigers.

Yes theres parts of his game hed need to develop. Defence obviously.

I think hed probably need to add another 2-4kgs of muscle. Get ro arkund that 86kgs mark without loosing any kr to much kf his speed.

He is all class

Girds89

Bench
He can cover the wing from 14 if he’s picked on the bench, is all that’s being said.

Honestly ivan wouldnt put him on the wing..

Hed move garner to centre and Alamonti to wing..

Hes never player wing in nrl or cuo bit youre telling us hes an excellent winger.

Its 1 or 6. This 14 role his playing atm really is a bit silly. Even ivan doesn't know how to use him atm. Hes really not a 14.

can you see Cole in the 14 (should Laurie be the 6) - with Cole giving Kenny a breather?
Coles defence would make him replace Tago with flying colours next year it should be Laurie 6 (X factor Cole doesn't bring) and Cole centre. Tago needs to work himself back. In the grand final too he let in a couple of tries.

14 Toelua
15 Sorenson
16 Henry
17 Patea, Tago

Fangs

Coach

I'm starting to think Ivan is surplus to requirements ;)

Hope he has a big preseason. I personally think he is a full time fullback at another club that isn't the Tigers or Titans. But he loves our club and I'll take that player over one hungry for a pay packet any day.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Honestly ivan wouldnt put him on the wing..

Hed move garner to centre and Alamonti to wing..

Hes never player wing in nrl or cuo bit youre telling us hes an excellent winger.

Its 1 or 6. This 14 role his playing atm really is a bit silly. Even ivan doesn't know how to use him atm. Hes really not a 14.
I didn’t say he was a 14.

He’s a 6 or a 1 if I’m picking him in an NRL.

But, we were discussing what positions he can cover from 14.

You’ve done your usual blow up and here we are.

Frankus

Juniors
Coles defence would make him replace Tago with flying colours next year it should be Laurie 6 (X factor Cole doesn't bring) and Cole centre. Tago needs to work himself back. In the grand final too he let in a couple of tries.

14 Toelua
15 Sorenson
16 Henry
17 Patea, Tago
I've said it before and I will say it again - Tago is either centre or not in the 17. We are paying him $750k per season. He's certainly not playing well at the moment. But we have seen what he is capable of. If he can cut out what has become his customary 2-3 drops per game he is immediately a much better player.

Also, in my opinion, I've seen nothing to suggest Cole would make a decent centre.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I've said it before and I will say it again - Tago is either centre or not in the 17. We are paying him $750k per season. He's certainly not playing well at the moment. But we have seen what he is capable of. If he can cut out what has become his customary 2-3 drops per game he is immediately a much better player.

Also, in my opinion, I've seen nothing to suggest Cole would make a decent centre.
Every aspect of Tago's game is in the toilet. At least Cole would make his tackles