What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
And, I suspect, the hashed re-signing of Cleary. It turned out to be a good decision, but I think the board were in the dark, which is likely why he is no longer here...

The payout was crazy money for hook. They were blindsided by the whole process there.

Better processes in place now

DinkyDi

Juniors
Only a few years ago we had fans suggesting Nathan wasn't worth this sort of money. That we should let him go and sign Luke Brooks on like $600k.

Now Luke Brooks is the biggest joke half in the game and somehow Tigers are paying him more than we are paying Nathan.

Thank god we got rid of Hook before he made Nathan's career impossible to salvage. Ivan really deserves some credit for how he can develop a playmaker.

He got Luke Brooks as Dally M half of the year. Nathan has become the best half in the game. Soward had a terrific season under him after Dragons booted him. Johnson and Maloney led Warriors to a grand final under him. Just a really good strike rate with halves in his career.players who were better under him than coaches before and after.

Though he couldn't get much out of Luke Walsh.
I agree, however, Ivan did give him his debut, way before Ivan would have.

Iamback

Coach
Only a few years ago we had fans suggesting Nathan wasn't worth this sort of money. That we should let him go and sign Luke Brooks on like $600k.

Now Luke Brooks is the biggest joke half in the game and somehow Tigers are paying him more than we are paying Nathan.

Thank god we got rid of Hook before he made Nathan's career impossible to salvage. Ivan really deserves some credit for how he can develop a playmaker.

He got Luke Brooks as Dally M half of the year. Nathan has become the best half in the game. Soward had a terrific season under him after Dragons booted him. Johnson and Maloney led Warriors to a grand final under him. Just a really good strike rate with halves in his career.players who were better under him than coaches before and after.

Though he couldn't get much out of Luke Walsh.

Except

Not to mention Nathan was an Origin player when Ivan got here.

The players were on the way to being elite regardless. What has helped is the Board and Football staff being on the same page

Sime_11

Juniors
regardless of how this eventuates for the Cleary's & the club - its the right decision, back to back GF appearances and a GF win, club culture at an all time high - its a no brainer to go all in on the Cleary's currently. This will go a long way to keeping the locals here - if we can offer good enough money and not be blown out of the water - they will stay here - perhaps the new stadium might be a carrot to hang around for as well :)

mxlegend99

Referee
Except

Not to mention Nathan was an Origin player when Ivan got here.

The players were on the way to being elite regardless. What has helped is the Board and Football staff being on the same page

Nathans career was not on this trajectory before Hook was sacked. Everyone (including you) thought he was overrated and had no vision or variety in his game. He never kicked for touch, never grubbered in goal, didnt throw cut out passes etc. Under hook there was a large group (including you IIRC) who thought we could get the same form out of Luke Brooks for half the price.

Hook handed him a start before Ivan would have. But from that point on all he did was hold Nathan back. He didnt like his players risking 7 tackle sets or cheap turnovers etc. So his kicking game was basically midfield bombs at the time.

He was in the NSW squad. But until he was playing under Ivan no one thought he belonged there. He ticked all the effort area boxes that Fittler loves. But he wasn't allowed to play his natural game or develop his playmaking skills back then.

Iamback

Coach
Nathans career was not on this trajectory before Hook was sacked. Everyone (including you) thought he was overrated and had no vision or variety in his game. He never kicked for touch, never grubbered in goal, didnt throw cut out passes etc. Under hook there was a large group (including you IIRC) who thought we could get the same form out of Luke Brooks for half the price.

Hook handed him a start before Ivan would have. But from that point on all he did was hold Nathan back. He didnt like his players risking 7 tackle sets or cheap turnovers etc. So his kicking game was basically midfield bombs at the time.

He was in the NSW squad. But until he was playing under Ivan no one thought he belonged there. He ticked all the effort area boxes that Fittler loves. But he wasn't allowed to play his natural game or develop his playmaking skills back then.

2016 -13 games - 3 tries. 8 try assists
2017 - 24 games 11 tries, 9 try assists
2018 15 games 3 Tries 10 assists

52 games - 17 tries. 27 assists under hook. Hardly terrible for a teenage rookie

Again though it was to keep Luai in the side. Releasing Maloney changed salary cap wise and also even in 2019 Maloney averaged more kick metres. So even early Ivan waited

Seeing you brought up creativity

Since 2020 when they became half partners

Luai 47 try assists in 53 games
Cleary 38 try assists in 43 games

So how much is just Generally player development?

Don't get me wrong Ivan has done well but I think it is 80/20 player to coaching

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
It could backfire. If we lose To'o we could lose Crichton. We lost kikau so we lost Api. The brotherhood is strong, more than anyother club. 1 lose will have a ripple effect.
Luai isn't leaving and he has a strong bond with these guys too. Between Nathan and Jarome we have the majority of the side with reason to stay.
2016 -13 games - 3 tries. 8 try assists
2017 - 24 games 11 tries, 9 try assists
2018 15 games 3 Tries 10 assists

52 games - 17 tries. 27 assists under hook. Hardly terrible for a teenage rookie

Again though it was to keep Luai in the side. Releasing Maloney changed salary cap wise and also even in 2019 Maloney averaged more kick metres. So even early Ivan waited
52 games under Hook for 31 forced outs, 27 try assists

64 games under Ivan for 73 forced drop outs and 47 try assists. His stats boosted majorly despite a lean 2019 season

But the stats don't show the insane variety Nathan has in his bag of tricks now either. He has by far the best kicking game in the competition and can control games and field position entirely with his boot.

He never did that under Hook. Not even once. There's no way he's the best most complete half in the competition under Hook.

Munky

Coach
It doesn't have to be dodgy, they could have a private family Trust. At the end of the day Ivan's Assets will flow down to his kids. Money isn't an issue for them.

How? The money can't go to a family trust without being captured as personal services income.

Edit: They've also cracked down on attempting to separate image rights from exertion.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Luai isn't leaving and he has a strong bond with these guys too. Between Nathan and Jarome we have the majority of the side with reason to stay.

52 games under Hook for 31 forced outs, 27 try assists

64 games under Ivan for 73 forced drop outs and 47 try assists. His stats boosted majorly despite a lean 2019 season

But the stats don't show the insane variety Nathan has in his bag of tricks now either. He has by far the best kicking game in the competition and can control games and field position entirely with his boot.

He never did that under Hook. Not even once. There's no way he's the best most complete half in the competition under Hook.

We bought Maloney to handle that sort of stuff though. Even in 2019 Maloney and Cleary had half the kick metres. Forced dropouts etc.

Case in Point 2019 Ivan as coach. Maloney played 22 games. Cleary 21

Kick metres
Maloney 5354
Cleary 4580

FG
Maloney 4
Cleary 1

40/20

Maloney 3
Cleary 0

Try Assists
Maloney 16
Cleary 9

All part of players developing though.

I don't think we have still seen his best yet. 24 is still young for a 7 as is the case with most of the side plenty of developing to go

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
I like Soni Luke as our hooker moving forward, as long as he stays fit and healthy, he’ll be great

It will be a great story if he can get the opportunity to debut in the NRL at some point this season. Probably needs to be given a few games to show whether he is up it, particularly to see how many minutes he is capable of playing. Unless there is someone established who is considerably better, I am comfortable with Kenny, Luke and perhaps Connie Mason as a Smokey or third choice in the short term For next season. I’m not sure splashing out half a million for someone such a Verrills is the right way to go, his injury record is not great and perhaps we could use the money in other areas.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It will be a great story if he can get the opportunity to debut in the NRL at some point this season. Probably needs to be given a few games to show whether he is up it, particularly to see how many minutes he is capable of playing. Unless there is someone established who is considerably better, I am comfortable with Kenny, Luke and perhaps Connie Mason as a Smokey or third choice in the short term For next season. I’m not sure splashing out half a million for someone such a Verrills is the right way to go, his injury record is not great and perhaps we could use the money in other areas.
I honestly think Soni is on the same level as Verrills

Kilkenny

Coach
I honestly think Soni is on the same level as Verrills
Would be nice mate. I hope he gets a crack this season, not thru injury to Api, just maybe during a period where Api could do with a rest perhaps. He needs to be given his chance, to show he is able to perform at the top level.

Girds89

Bench
@Girds89

notice Fletcher in the presser say the board said to re-sign Ivan?

Exactly as I said it is. Wasn't just Dave they changed to process after the hook farce
Lol mate, not sure why your tagging me in this?

I mean its well know that dave and ivan were extremley close..dont know if ive ever said dave never took it to the board!!

Dave went behind goulds back just as gould did to others trying to get griffin.... if they hadnt both parties wouldve know about what was happening.

The clubs only goal at the press conference was to promote the ivan and ckeary resignings. They were about to bring up old dramas....

Your reading way way to much into that one

Kilkenny

Coach
What goes around comes around and Dave O’Neill was ousted in the recent board elections. It speaks for itself.

The old saying keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.

Smug Panther

First Grade
What goes around comes around and Dave O’Neill was ousted in the recent board elections. It speaks for itself.

The old saying keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.
Almost everyone who works in a corporate environment has to be a scumbag

Iamback

Coach
Lol mate, not sure why your tagging me in this?

I mean its well know that dave and ivan were extremley close..dont know if ive ever said dave never took it to the board!!

Dave went behind goulds back just as gould did to others trying to get griffin.... if they hadnt both parties wouldve know about what was happening.

The clubs only goal at the press conference was to promote the ivan and ckeary resignings. They were about to bring up old dramas....

Your reading way way to much into that one

The Board asked for suggestions.

Brandy had one
Gus had one
Dave has one

The board chose Dave's it was as easy as that. No going behind anyone's back