What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Munky

Coach
Kkau and Martin seem to be following the same trajectory.

Kikau in the 2020 GF was the worst game a Panther has played then he beasted 2021 and 2022.

Martin was horrible in consecutive games vs the Storm and Rabbits at the end of the season.

Scored the game wining try vs Souths after spudding up all game and then went ballistic in the finals and world cup.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Kkau and Martin seem to be following the same trajectory.

Kikau in the 2020 GF was the worst game a Panther has played then he beasted 2021 and 2022.

Martin was horrible in consecutive games vs the Storm and Rabbits at the end of the season.

Scored the game wining try vs Souths after spudding up all game and then went ballistic in the finals and world cup.

Martin to Bulldogs confirmed

Pomoz

Bench
You might have had a point 2 years ago...but last season and this season - and especially this season - Kikau has been super consistent.

Kikau nearly won us that GF last year against Souths with his defense alone. Then class touches from other players finished them off.

And in the big games this year he was great.
I hear you. I think Kikau has improved a lot and last year was his best season. His defence has really improved although he still struggles laterally. Commentators say he is really skilful and immense in attack, but he never delivers that in the big games. The games were defence is a lot stronger so offloads and trampling players underfoot are harder to do. That's why I think we will miss him in attack against the easier teams, but not against the likes of the Storm. Their defence stifles his power game.

Martin's game is more consistent. He won't do slick attacking moves against the weaker teams like Kikau, but he will deliver bone crunching defence every game. He is now starting to deliver plenty of metre in attack as well and starting to run great lines.

Kilkenny

Coach
I hear you. I think Kikau has improved a lot and last year was his best season. His defence has really improved although he still struggles laterally. Commentators say he is really skilful and immense in attack, but he never delivers that in the big games. The games were defence is a lot stronger so offloads and trampling players underfoot are harder to do. That's why I think we will miss him in attack against the easier teams, but not against the likes of the Storm. Their defence stifles his power game.

Martin's game is more consistent. He won't do slick attacking moves against the weaker teams like Kikau, but he will deliver bone crunching defence every game. He is now starting to deliver plenty of metre in attack as well and starting to run great lines.
Kikau was great for us, played a huge part in our success.

I understand comparisons are unrealistic, but overall I don’t think Kikau quite reached the Tony P or Frank P levels of performance who I think were better players overall.

It would have been nice to keep him, his best football may still be ahead of him.

Served us well and sadly he is a former Panther.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Kikau was great for us, played a huge part in our success.

I understand comparisons are unrealistic, but overall I don’t think Kikau quite reached the Tony P or Frank P levels of performance who I think were better players overall.

It would have been nice to keep him, his best football may still be ahead of him.

Served us well and sadly he is a former Panther.
Really? Tony P is debatable but Kiks is far better than Frank Pritchard

Kilkenny

Coach
I think both were better players overall.

Frank P a bit like Kikau in some respects, wasn‘t always on.

Just my opinion Smug. Kikau played in a pretty fair Panthers side which helps.

I think Trent Waterhouse was as good a player, fantastic player at his best. Recency bias counts against Trent but he was fine player for us.

one can only imagine how good Frank Pritchard could have been in our current side.

mxlegend99

Referee
Kikau was far better than Frank Pritchard IMO. Franky had his moments where his beast mode was incredible to watch. But overall that seemed to be only a couple times a season with atleast two of them being against the Tigers.

But Kikau has been part of the team when we've had a pretty great side. Pritchard came into a great side which was ultimately weak and inconsistent more often than not for most of his career with us. Not sure Kikau would have been as effective as he has been in those sides either.

Munky

Coach
Frank P was part of the 2005 'envy of the league' pack that finished tenth.

He became a regular in 05 as part of a very strong team in paper. Played in one finals series for us in 2010.

Still amazing that the core of the 03 minor and major premiership team were out of the eight within two seasons and spooning within four.

I rate Kiks above Frank but Tony P was a relentless force on his day. IIRC would do a lot more work in the middle off set starts

Kilkenny

Coach
Kikau was far better than Frank Pritchard IMO. Franky had his moments where his beast mode was incredible to watch. But overall that seemed to be only a couple times a season with atleast two of them being against the Tigers.

But Kikau has been part of the team when we've had a pretty great side. Pritchard came into a great side which was ultimately weak and inconsistent more often than not for most of his career with us. Not sure Kikau would have been as effective as he has been in those sides either.
I understand totally, but Frank P didn’t enjoy playing with halves the equal of our current premiership winning combination. When he was in the mood, with I agree probably wasn’t often enough, he really was unstoppable. i remember his best moments fondly, particularly given we weren’t that great as @ team.

Big Mick

Referee

I agree. Pritchard was fine - but Kikau was far superior. Again just my opinion.

Pritchard played well against the Tigers and that was about it.

I agree RE Waterhouse. Shaun Lane reminds me a lot of Waterhouse as far as current players.

Whino

Bench
Out of the above 3. I would have Tony Puletua
KIkau
Pritchard.
All inconsistent at times. Some more than others. From a performance perspective Puletua's ceiling was destructively higher when he was on. IMO. Kikau had the more skills. Frank the best smile.
It is a shame TP had Elliott at the back end of his career here and Pritchard his majority time here. In the club’s system here today. It is reasonable to suggest both would have been so much better than they were in the wasted Elliott years.

Munky

Coach
Out of the above 3. I would have Tony Puletua
KIkau
Pritchard.
All inconsistent at times. Some more than others. From a performance perspective Puletua's ceiling was destructively higher when he was on. IMO. Kikau had the more skills. Frank the best smile.
It is a shame TP had Elliott at the back end of his career here and Pritchard his majority time here. In the club’s system here today. It is reasonable to suggest both would have been so much better than they were in the wasted Elliott years.

Both Tony and Frank had the 05 and 06 seasons with the the premiership spine and coach.

Elliot was pure trash but the 05 and 06 were incredibly disappointing with Lang at the helm.

Whino

Bench
Both Tony and Frank had the 05 and 06 seasons with the the premiership spine and coach.

Elliot was pure trash but the 05 and 06 were incredibly disappointing with Lang at the helm.

05 was a massive disappointment. Under-achieved that year. The last two years of Lang appeared to be a premiership hangover.We should have made the finals in 05.
He did have some excuses.
Puletua did his knee or shoulder (I can't remember but it was serious ) in round 5 in 2005 and was gone for the year. I can't remember how strong played in 06 coming back from his injury. Played 20+ games.

05 was Pritchard's first year he started on FG. His peak should have been the next 3-5 years after that.

06 was a right- off in the pre-season. Imo. Gower's off-field shenanigans, sacked as captain, Lang given the tap. All before the season started.

Last edited: