What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Blade23

Juniors
. Smith on the other hand......I don't see what all the fuss is about.

He trains hard. He is versatile, very quick and has good vision. Very good ruck awareness. He does hit hard in defence. And yes he can bounce off tackles. The signs are there he could develop into a very good hooker if he works on a few areas.
He needs a bit more muscle, and a good stint playing against the men in reserves first. Very much a work in progress.
Put it this way. If he reaches his full potential, he has a higher ceiling than some of the other hookers at the club.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
The rumour is false. Funny to think about though :)
I wonder what David would make of a bleep test with Dylan? You could sell tickets for that. Just watching somebody do that amount of work might lead him to spontaneously combust.

The meeting with Ivan would be good. "Sorry, I thought you said I need to run 150m? You can add any two games I played last year and I made that". "Did you say you want me to tackle and do decoy runs as well. Haha, stop it you're killing me".

Pomoz

Bench
If you look at the great sports clubs that become dynasties, like the Chicago Bulls, the Storm, Manchester United and so on, they all used to refresh their roster continuously. Alex Ferguson used to say that the new players put the team on notice they have to perform and they often bring energy and new ides to training. He commented on how when a new signing turned up, the other players competed with them and improved.

In the NRL the Storm have consistently let rep players go to other clubs. They focused on making sure the brains of the team, the spine, was consistent, but they rotated the other players. I believe it is a key factor in their sustained success.

I have been thinking about this in the off-season after watching Crichton go and now rumours Spencer is next. If I can get over the fact that I am upset at the idea of losing Spencer because I love watching him play (Crichton not so much, just not my cup of tea), the club actually needs to lose players every year. You can't stay at the elite level with the same team for too long. You need new ides, new energy and a sense that your place is never secure.

You look at the talent in the lower grades and I can't help but think sadly, we will need to release players to give these kids a chance or we will stagnate and decline. You can't keep them all.

Just to highlight this, I was super impressed by the effort of our team against the Eels. 34 degrees, the ground hard as a Maori doorman and the other team with more possession, yet we just played like the Panther's first grade team. One percenters, effort, fitness. Just brilliant and confirmation that the leadership at the club have built something memorable. Incidentally, it was a great compliment to the club to hear Cronk, Roach and Ennis all say the same thing. "They play like the first grade team".

Iamback

Coach
If you look at the great sports clubs that become dynasties, like the Chicago Bulls, the Storm, Manchester United and so on, they all used to refresh their roster continuously. Alex Ferguson used to say that the new players put the team on notice they have to perform and they often bring energy and new ides to training. He commented on how when a new signing turned up, the other players competed with them and improved.

In the NRL the Storm have consistently let rep players go to other clubs. They focused on making sure the brains of the team, the spine, was consistent, but they rotated the other players. I believe it is a key factor in their sustained success.

I have been thinking about this in the off-season after watching Crichton go and now rumours Spencer is next. If I can get over the fact that I am upset at the idea of losing Spencer because I love watching him play (Crichton not so much, just not my cup of tea), the club actually needs to lose players every year. You can't stay at the elite level with the same team for too long. You need new ides, new energy and a sense that your place is never secure.

You look at the talent in the lower grades and I can't help but think sadly, we will need to release players to give these kids a chance or we will stagnate and decline. You can't keep them all.

Just to highlight this, I was super impressed by the effort of our team against the Eels. 34 degrees, the ground hard as a Maori doorman and the other team with more possession, yet we just played like the Panther's first grade team. One percenters, effort, fitness. Just brilliant and confirmation that the leadership at the club have built something memorable. Incidentally, it was a great compliment to the club to hear Cronk, Roach and Ennis all say the same thing. "They play like the first grade team".

Cows got burned keeping Coote over Ponga etc, We are having no such issues with the roster staying fresh. Lower grades look very good again which is vital

Girds89

Bench
It's a shame the 12 month deal for fifita is a lie.

In our system I'm confident he'd be the best 2nd rower in the game.

Only have to look at what Ivan got out of tpj in an extremely short period.

Never been a fan of garner. Hope he proves me wrong but I don't see it with him..

Hosking was just solid on the weekend. Good defender but no real attacking flair at all.

Mav geyer is the one they'd have to be hoping really kicks on early this year...

I'd like to see this as our 17 from Rd 1.

Edwards
Too
Critta
Tago
May
Luai
Nathan
Leota
Kenny
Fish
Soro (left)
Martin
Yeo

Luke
Spencer
Eiso
Peachy/garner/hosking/mav/salmon

Imo eiso deserves a fg spot. He's offloading and ball playing ability has gone through the roof in the last few years.. he's very skilled.. he's like a 2nd yeo. Having him out there will give more options. Plus he's rock solid in defence.

Spencer for more minutes.

Luke to come on once Kenny has run him self ragged.

Soro I think is definitely mobile enough to play on an edge.. has the leg speed and power. I'd like to see it. He's been nothing but brilliant the last two years. Has earned a shot. He's played for the kiwis etc. Big gfs. Lots of experience. Never let's us down.. I'd give him first crack.

Last bench spot for the remaining 2nd rowers to fight out for.. not sure garner or hosking offer anything attack wise off the bench.. with salmon you get versatility. Peach is past it but he still has that bit of x factor and I reckon he'll be the fittest he's been in years this year... Mav also offers that x factor. He's offloading ability could add something but he's still very raw.

Probs just goes to whoever trials the best etc..

But fifita sure would've been nice if the titans were footing half the bill haha.

He's a bloke who could take us to 3 premierships imo.. when he's on he is devastating. Just needs a coach to get the best out of him.

Iamback

Coach
It's a shame the 12 month deal for fifita is a lie.

In our system I'm confident he'd be the best 2nd rower in the game.

Only have to look at what Ivan got out of tpj in an extremely short period.

Never been a fan of garner. Hope he proves me wrong but I don't see it with him..

Hosking was just solid on the weekend. Good defender but no real attacking flair at all.

Mav geyer is the one they'd have to be hoping really kicks on early this year...

I'd like to see this as our 17 from Rd 1.

Edwards
Too
Critta
Tago
May
Luai
Nathan
Leota
Kenny
Fish
Soro (left)
Martin
Yeo

Luke
Spencer
Eiso
Peachy/garner/hosking/mav/salmon

Imo eiso deserves a fg spot. He's offloading and ball playing ability has gone through the roof in the last few years.. he's very skilled.. he's like a 2nd yeo. Having him out there will give more options. Plus he's rock solid in defence.

Spencer for more minutes.

Luke to come on once Kenny has run him self ragged.

Soro I think is definitely mobile enough to play on an edge.. has the leg speed and power. I'd like to see it. He's been nothing but brilliant the last two years. Has earned a shot. He's played for the kiwis etc. Big gfs. Lots of experience. Never let's us down.. I'd give him first crack.

Last bench spot for the remaining 2nd rowers to fight out for.. not sure garner or hosking offer anything attack wise off the bench.. with salmon you get versatility. Peach is past it but he still has that bit of x factor and I reckon he'll be the fittest he's been in years this year... Mav also offers that x factor. He's offloading ability could add something but he's still very raw.

Probs just goes to whoever trials the best etc..

But fifita sure would've been nice if the titans were footing half the bill haha.

He's a bloke who could take us to 3 premierships imo.. when he's on he is devastating. Just needs a coach to get the best out of him.

Why waste the money? We need to re-sign others and have some decent backrow options

maple_69

Bench
Yeah when you need to re-sign Yeo, Luai, Edwards and think about Leota, May, Martin & Kenny extensions next off-season, adding an edge forward even for $500K would be madness.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah when you need to re-sign Yeo, Luai, Edwards and think about Leota, May, Martin & Kenny extensions next off-season, adding an edge forward even for $500K would be madness.

Especially when Hassett and Hocking didn't look out of place on the weekend.
Smith, Riki, Martin and Garner didn't play and still possibly Tago can move. So Edge forward isn't a concern

mxlegend99

Referee
Cows got burned keeping Coote over Ponga etc, We are having no such issues with the roster staying fresh. Lower grades look very good again which is vital
Did they really though?

Ponga misses more games than he plays and only ever puts in for QLD. He's Dane Gagai 2.0

At times his form has been amazing. But considering what it would have cost to keep him I think cowboys dodged a bullet to be honest. Juggling the cap to keep him wouldn't be worth it.

Did they really though?

Ponga misses more games than he plays and only ever puts in for QLD. He's Dane Gagai 2.0

At times his form has been amazing. But considering what it would have cost to keep him I think cowboys dodged a bullet to be honest. Juggling the cap to keep him wouldn't be worth it.
His reamed them good and proper.

His dad should be a player agent.

it was a stand off and he didn’t blink.

Iamback

Coach
Did they really though?

He was an example, Brandon Smith, Kikau there is a few decent players that left due to senior guys staying. We are getting a roster refresh on the fly

Latest posts