What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

maple_69

Bench
Any retention amongst Tito/May/Garner/Hosking/Kenny has to be a strong signal that Luai is going to be moving. We’ve parked big money in our spine understandably but our pack also with Yeo/Leota/Fish/Martin all being extended recently. Throw To’o in and I can’t imagine we can be handing out much more than league minimum deals to the rest of the backline if Luai takes the $800 and stays on.

Any retention amongst Tito/May/Garner/Hosking/Kenny has to be a strong signal that Luai is going to be moving. We’ve parked big money in our spine understandably but our pack also with Yeo/Leota/Fish/Martin all being extended recently. Throw To’o in and I can’t imagine we can be handing out much more than league minimum deals to the rest of the backline if Luai takes the $800 and stays on.
every single player you mentioned (Tito/May/Garner/Hosking/Kenny) is a must hold and far out ways Luai TBH Sunia = Swag
May=Pitball
Garner= fills in
Hosking=Guts
Kenny= Now finally our Premiership FT Hooker who scored his 1st TRY This season in the GF like Royce.

martielang

Bench
every single player you mentioned (Tito/May/Garner/Hosking/Kenny) is a must hold and far out ways Luai TBH Sunia = Swag
May=Pitball
Garner= fills in
Hosking=Guts
Kenny= Now finally our Premiership FT Hooker who scored his 1st TRY This season in the GF like Royce.

Odd take.

age.s

First Grade
Maybe it's a semantic discussion, but for me I wouldn't class anyone other than Cleary, Yeo and maybe Edwards as "must keeps". To me that term is reserved for players you don't have a realistic budget cap for, you'd break out the bank to keep them. Unique players who can't realistically be replaced.

Don't get me wrong, I like all those players and would be disappointed if we didn't maintain most of them. But at the end of the day, if any one of them tested the waters and got an above market value deal elsewhere I'd back us to replace them with the money we saved.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Maybe it's a semantic discussion, but for me I wouldn't class anyone other than Cleary, Yeo and maybe Edwards as "must keeps". To me that term is reserved for players you don't have a realistic budget cap for, you'd break out the bank to keep them. Unique players who can't realistically be replaced.

Don't get me wrong, I like all those players and would be disappointed if we didn't maintain most of them. But at the end of the day, if any one of them tested the waters and got an above market value deal elsewhere I'd back us to replace them with the money we saved.
To'o is on that list for me, he's changed the whole position others are trying to imitate but none have succeeded

maple_69

Bench
It's Cleary & Edwards for me, Edwards is our defensive 'halfback' and that's our foundation, along with being the best last line of defence, best positioning, best supporting player and best metre making player in the game. It's not a sexy package but the sheer quantity he contributes is totally peerless.

To'o and Fish/Leota/Martin are kinda in the conversation. To'o is absolutely a generational winger and makes the whole machine work, could we replace his contribution with the additional $600K to spend on the backline, I think we could. Fish/Leota/Martin deliver the punishment and I think that's another key ingredient, but again, for the cumulative $2M or so we'd pay them a year, could we replace that, with good management I think so.

Yeo is the best forward in the game in my opinion and top 5 in the comp but I also think we could replace him with L. Smith on half the money and upgrade hooker say.

All 7 + Luai are technically our core, will go down as club greats and I hope one club players, but I think with good management and planning, we could continue on without 6 of them.

Turuva/May/Hosking/Garner/Kenny are great players but completely replaceable given their respective roles at our club. More so than Crichton/Api/Kikau/Capewell/Tamou/Leniu before them.