What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I like Turuva for his work from the back.

Despite his try count this year I still don't rate his scoring instincts.

Moving to the right has been beneficial since somehow it is our dominant attacking side and he is incapable of putting down the ball with his left hand.

We've started four grand finals with different wing combos which says it all really.
Carry a bum like Momo at centre says it all really

Kilkenny

Coach
And?

He was still NRL Rookie of the year last season, a great winger, a meter eater and a try scoring machine. Moreover, I feel just as safe with him under the high ball as I do Dyl or Bizza.

I’m deadset against Penrith paying overs for non-marquee players but Turuva is something special.

I guess time will tell if the club live to regret not stumping the extra 50k a season to keep him.
I don’t get it. Seriously, I haven’t seen anything from Jesse McLean in NSW Cup to suggest he is anywhere near as good as Turuva. Younger sure, has potential but I don’t see him reaching the same level of performance Turuva has and he is still young.

Pantherjim.

Referee
I don’t get it. Seriously, I haven’t seen anything from Jesse McLean in NSW Cup to suggest he is anywhere near as good as Turuva. Younger sure, has potential but I don’t see him reaching the same level of performance Turuva has and he is still young.

He has a long way to go before he is anywhere close to Turuva. I hope for our sake he makes me eat my words, but for now…

MugaB

Coach
Apparently we have a 1.3mill war chest for next year. Could get both NAS and Fifita 🤣
Or niether they are both a huge waste of money, not mobile enough in defence, that means what ever we want them doing in attack, they are costing us in defence... we arent the titans, we arent in the market to buy marquees, not ones that have a huge background of coasting on their bear minimum talent, or size for advantage... again if we want value, look at a guy like Jayden Sua, very mobile, strong as an ox, or the warriors backrower Marata Niukore

Hooked

Juniors
I see Alamoti as a bridge to one of the McLeans. Either plays wing, or May shifts back there next year.
If Alamoti takes his chance. Good luck to him. He has been excellent in reserve grade. Was good last week in FG.

To'o probably shifts back to the right next year. Both May and Alamoti usually play left.

I wouldn't rush Jesse McLean. He still needs work.

Iamback

Coach
And?

He was still NRL Rookie of the year last season, a great winger, a meter eater and a try scoring machine. Moreover, I feel just as safe with him under the high ball as I do Dyl or Bizza.

I’m deadset against Penrith paying overs for non-marquee players but Turuva is something special.

I guess time will tell if the club live to regret not stumping the extra 50k a season to keep him.

$50k seems like a small amount but that assumes that the Tigers wouldn't of gone higher. Hence why as a club we don't get into bidding wars particularly if that extra $100-$150k could be used elsewhere.

5/8th is a question mark.
Prop is a question mark moving forward.

Recent history has shown we can develop elite outside backs.

props take time and halves don't grow on trees so if we need to go to market for those positions having extra cash is important.

Iamback

Coach

Where has anyone said he is better? The question is what do you pay a winger?

All these guys we are losing isn't always to get better it is we can fill that role with cheaper. To keep key players

Iamback

Coach
So $11.5m cap

Backline goes

Edwards $850k
??
May $500k
Tago $600k
To'o $600k
??
Cleary $1.2m

$3.75m

So 1/3rd of the cap on a backline with still a 6 to find.

Again why would we add Turuva if someone can do the job for 1/3 of the price? Alamoti, McLean and Iongi are already contracted so we have budgeted them anyway

That is what the salary cap does

Kilkenny

Coach
Where has anyone said he is better? The question is what do you pay a winger?

All these guys we are losing isn't always to get better it is we can fill that role with cheaper. To keep key players
Our success has been built of the back of the back three.

I think our wingers deserve a pay rise!

We have forwards, one who is now leaving early, earning what some suggest is $950k, I’m not sure the outputs match the salaries. There does seem to me a disparity given the work the wingers do and the fact they also score tries. This notion wingers can’t or shouldn’t be paid more than $300 - $400k doesn’t make a lot of sense. You could make an argument our wingers are more important to our success than our front rowers who earn double or more.

Iamback

Coach
Our success has been built of the back of the back three.

I think our wingers deserve a pay rise!

We have forwards, one who is now leaving early, earning what some suggest is $950k, I’m not sure the outputs match the salaries. There does seem to me a disparity given the work the wingers do and the fact they also score tries. This notion wingers can’t or shouldn’t be paid more than $300 - $400k doesn’t make a lot of sense. You could make an argument our wingers are more important to our success than our front rowers who earn double or more.

Happy to have the discussion. What position are you taking the money from to give them the rise?

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Take emotion out of decisions.We can't have a whole backline on healthy coin.
We have cheaper options in the lower grades that can replace him.

The money should be spent where we need it. A top prop to replace Fish. And maybe a decent 5/8 to strengthen the team.
Money won't be the problem when the time comes. The hard part is finding the right players.

Iamback

Coach
Take emotion out of decisions.We can't have a whole backline on healthy coin.
We have cheaper options in the lower grades that can replace him.

The money should be spent where we need it. A top prop to replace Fish. And maybe a decent 5/8 to strengthen the team.
Money won't be the problem when the time comes. The hard part is finding the right players.

Correct. Imagine being $150k short of getting Haas

you don't waste cap space