What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Fangs

Coach
While not ideal I'd rather this outcome over having it drag into the off-season.

From a purely football perspective the 2024 competition is ours to lose and off-field issues aren't going to help anyone.

And remember we were in 20/21/22 grand finals whilst paying off multiple players at other clubs. So its not the end of the world.

Blade23

Juniors
It seems strange to pay for 2.5 years rather than have him play for us. I can only presume the relationship between him and the club has broken down to the point of being unreconcilable. I am guessing cap relief for the "no fault" stand down, will be used to prepay his salary so the impact is reduced in future years. Hopefully, we were able to negotiate a discounted salary as well. Otherwise we have a $500k lead weight for the next 2.5 years.

I think the whole thing is so sad. He has overcome a difficult upbringing to get this far. He doesn't seem to be able to escape his past enough to find a clear path to happiness. If he is found guilty, that is just a terrible outcome and I feel sorry for his wife/girlfriend having to endure this.

No winners here. The club, T May and least of all his wife/girlfriend. Just sad.

What?? What is the point? I assume this means he can play for another NRL team

He couldn't stay. The situation was untenable. I don't agree with some of the actions the club took leading up to it though.

Termination payouts are usually counted in the cap for the length of a players existing contract. If they have 2 years remaining. It comes off the cap over those 2 years.

The no fault stand down rules allow relief in various circumstances. Even in early payouts.

Best case the whole termination payout is exempt.

Even in the worst case scenario. We get relief from the period he was stood down this year, to his court case date next year. The back part of his last contract and the first 5 months of his new contract. That is roughly just over $400k in relief we are allowed to claim. For just that period.
We are then allowed to take that cap exemption off the termination payout figure, and spread the remainder over 2 years. And I am told from a cap perspective on that worst case scenario we will be minimally impacted over those 2 years.

Bred not Bought

Juniors
He couldn't stay. The situation was untenable. I don't agree with some of the actions the club took leading up to it though.

Termination payouts are usually counted in the cap for the length of a players existing contract. If they have 2 years remaining. It comes off the cap over those 2 years.

The no fault stand down rules allow relief in various circumstances. Even in early payouts.

Even in the worst case scenario. We get relief from the period he was stood down this year, to his court case date next year. The back part of his last contract and the first 5 months of his new contract. That is roughly just over $400k in relief we are allowed to claim. For just that period.
We are then allowed to take that cap exemption off the termination payout figure, and spread the remainder over 2 years. And I am told from a cap perspective on that worst case scenario we will be minimally impacted over those 2 years.

So IF the payout is $600k. We can take the cap exemption of say about $400k off the $600k and spread the remaining $200k over the 2 years?

Iamback

Coach
While not ideal I'd rather this outcome over having it drag into the off-season.

From a purely football perspective the 2024 competition is ours to lose and off-field issues aren't going to help anyone.

And remember we were in 20/21/22 grand finals whilst paying off multiple players at other clubs. So its not the end of the world.

McLean x 2
Cole being locked in on cheap deals allows us to cover the extra and it not affect centre depth

Fangs

Coach
McLean x 2
Cole being locked in on cheap deals allows us to cover the extra and it not affect centre depth

Cole and Casey look terrific. I'd be tipping both to start in 2025 and depending on injuries that might come sooner in 2024.

Iamback

Coach
Cole and Casey look terrific. I'd be tipping both to start in 2025 and depending on injuries that might come sooner in 2024.

Alamoti playing these games on the wing opens up more options for next year which is a good thing

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Blade with us plebs NOT knowing the ins and outs of the situation. I think you've explained it well. May had worn out his welcome at the club.

Perhaps as a hangover to what went on with Tyrone when the club backed him to the hilt, (or sections of the club did). Penrith suffered some poor PR, and sadly some of that has stuck to the club.

Maybe it was the club feeling that Taylan's situation was headed in the same direction, and wanted to cut it off, before it was too drawn out.

The club made a mistake obviously in re signing him, with these issues hanging round like stale farts.

Yep mistakes were made by the club, hopefully they learn from this and move onwards and upwards.

Girds89

Bench
I said it when it first happened and i maintain it. Whether he is found guilty or not i hope taylan and his partner and child all recieve the help they need..

Taylans a young man. Hes no doubt done some silly things and these dv charges are serious but regardless to guilty or innocent i hope he learns from this and makes it a turning point in his life.

Hes a very talented footy player.. would love to see him turn it around and put his head down and get another chance down the track..

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I said it when it first happened and i maintain it. Whether he is found guilty or not i hope taylan and his partner and child all recieve the help they need..

Taylans a young man. Hes no doubt done some silly things and these dv charges are serious but regardless to guilty or innocent i hope he learns from this and makes it a turning point in his life.

Hes a very talented footy player.. would love to see him turn it around and put his head down and get another chance down the track..
The type who's done what he's accused of doesn't change. A lower level of human life

All if true of course

Last edited:

kinghippo

Juniors
The Parra rumours will be rolling in for a while.
Suggestions today Sivo, RCG and Matterson on the chopping block.

Latest posts