What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

soc123_au

Staff member
Garner is a great player and improving. Martin is next level. He intimidates opposing packs. He’s easily our best backrower, makes the NSW and Australian team with ease.
From a money ball perspective Garner is great. Martin is elite based on his best, but has too many games where he offers very little per cap dollar.

Bob

Juniors
What has Mav done to deserve a spot? He's a fringe player
The times he has played 1st grade I don't think he looked out of place, he's only had 11 first grade games of which 8 were winning games, has a tackle percentage of 93% , 2 of the 3 games lost when he played he came on as a 18th man, the other game we lost of the 3 he played 80minutes in the 2nd row against the Storm which we lost 24-22 due to Nathan missing 2 goals and going off injured, Mav as a rookie got through 36 tackles with 2 misses that night, I personally think he has a LOT to offer in 1st grade

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The times he has played 1st grade I don't think he looked out of place, he's only had 11 first grade games of which 8 were winning games, has a tackle percentage of 93% , 2 of the 3 games lost when he played he came on as a 18th man, the other game we lost of the 3 he played 80minutes in the 2nd row against the Storm which we lost 24-22 due to Nathan missing 2 goals and going off injured, Mav as a rookie got through 36 tackles with 2 misses that night, I personally think he has a LOT to offer in 1st grade
He was better in the last few games he played bu he's well down the list for me though. He doesn't offer much from the bench either. So it's start or nothing really

maple_69

Bench
With Fish going we absolutely need Martin’s aggressive defence. That’s his best attribute. Wherever we need to play him to get the most out of him defensively and at the right times is where he needs to be. He’d be an international and origin prop if that’s where we played him. You can’t get the kind of energy, mongrel and aggression he brings from any other player in the comp and rep sides are going to take that regardless of his skill or where he’s going to be standing on the field.

I think Papali’i offers a greater threat in attack on an edge. No reason they can’t interchange within plays and stints as suits us.

martielang

Bench
Players can’t play the way he does every game, it’s not sustainable.

Kinda the point though. Do we call him our best back rower based on 2 or 3 game where’s he’s actually ripped in this year or is he judged on what he offers across the season? Garners body of work across the year has been more impressive and he’s been injured 50% of the season and on 50% of Martins wage.

kinghippo

Juniors
From a money ball perspective Garner is great. Martin is elite based on his best, but has too many games where he offers very little per cap dollar.
From a moneyball perspective Toby Sexton is better than Cleary.
Garner has barely played for the last 2 years. Every minute Martin has been on the field is 20x what we have seen out if Garner.
To actually be talking like Garner is our best after 2 good performances is ludicrous.

I think that is correct if we were struggling to make the 8 or even the 4. Our focus must be on what we need to do to be at our best during the final series, and from that extent I think that Martin is a luxury we can afford.

I agree with this. I think Mac overtakes Garner next year. Garner is very good (he has an innate ability to be able to find space on the field, which is a great quality) but Mav is a specimen and seems to offer a bit more in defence.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I agree with this. I think Mac overtakes Garner next year. Garner is very good (he has an innate ability to be able to find space on the field, which is a great quality) but Mav is a specimen and seems to offer a bit more in defence.
Garner is miles ahead and can actually cover centre unlike Mav who looked lost there

martielang

Bench
From a moneyball perspective Toby Sexton is better than Cleary.
Garner has barely played for the last 2 years. Every minute Martin has been on the field is 20x what we have seen out if Garner.
To actually be talking like Garner is our best after 2 good performances is ludicrous.

I don’t think anyone’s saying Garner is a more talented footballer than Martin but it’s not even a close run race this year, genuinely can’t think of a game when Martin’s outplayed Garner or even stood out this year.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Kinda the point though. Do we call him our best back rower based on 2 or 3 game where’s he’s actually ripped in this year or is he judged on what he offers across the season? Garners body of work across the year has been more impressive and he’s been injured 50% of the season and on 50% of Martins wage.
He’s our best second rower based on the fact that his best game is miles ahead of anyone else’s best game.

It’s as simple as that.

Garner is every chance of getting there, but he ain’t there yet.

I think Garner will probably start next year with Paps, Mav and Scotty battling it out for the bench spots.

WestyLife

First Grade
He’s our best second rower based on the fact that his best game is miles ahead of anyone else’s best game.

It’s as simple as that.

Garner is every chance of getting there, but he ain’t there yet.

I think Garner will probably start next year with Paps, Mav and Scotty battling it out for the bench spots.

Garner has been more consistent although been injured a bit.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeah… but his best isn’t as good as Martin.

Can you see Garner getting picked in the Kangaroos team? Or NSW??

You're right but that's not what people have been saying. We're saying he's been better than Martin this season on form not that he has a higher ceiling or is the better player.