What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Chimp

Bench
I’d be very disappointed to lose Katoa - I think it can sometimes go unnoticed how good he is out of our own end. Yes he has the flashy finishes, but he does a hell of a lot of grunt work for us too.
Back on Hynes, I really don’t see that value on leaving him on the lower wage, everyone acknowledges he’d be getting offers in and around $1m if he went to open market - if we don’t at least increase him towards that, it has potential to cause disruption- maybe not with Nicho himself, it you can guarantee his manager will be agitating, and clubs will be in his managers ear.
Give him what he’s worth, stave off any threat of ever losing him. It would cost us a hell of a lot more to bring in a suitable replacement, who’d likely not be as good anyway.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I see your point chimp I really do but I think respect works both ways and upping him could open a can we don’t want to open. He isn’t on the open market cos we contracted him and he signed it.

He could have said 1 year and I will back myself but he wanted the security. That’s great the club won this one, Nicho wins the next one.

Chimp

Bench
I see your point chimp I really do but I think respect works both ways and upping him could open a can we don’t want to open. He isn’t on the open market cos we contracted him and he signed it.

He could have said 1 year and I will back myself but he wanted the security. That’s great the club won this one, Nicho wins the next one.
Yeah, I totally get your point also - the clubs should be able to ‘do a good deal’, but reality is they can’t nowadays. Problem is managers don’t like it when clubs do a good deal and will start agitating. Last thing we want to do is have Nicho (or his manager) even thinking about what he could be getting elsewhere. The fact he’s no a free agent means diddly squat nowadays - his manager will still field ‘if Nicho was free, we pay him $1m’ type calls, and that’s where the rot begins.
We want him here and happy.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
The way this plays out I reckon is we end up locking him up around the same time other pieces fall into place. Extending Fitz and 2024 signing of note, we will have cap. Nothing will happen soon unlike what buzz wants.

morton's beanie

Juniors
He's not going hungry. To bump his pay up 50% 1 year into a 3 year deal is getting way too hasty. If he gets merkiny because we don't he can f**k off. Get $1.5m a season at a bottom 4 club.

I don't think Nicho is that guy though and the club and him are on the same page. He'll be paid well but he'll also have a side around him because he's not a greedy f**k taking all the coin.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Nicho seems genuinely grateful for the opportunity we gave him and loves the Cronulla lifestyle. Massive fan of Fitz and feels like he’s achieved nothing at the Sharks at this point. I’d sweeten the deal by upping him to 700k this year....$800k in ‘24 then $900k for a further 3 years. I wouldn’t let him go to market at the end of the year or someone will offer him really silly money. Not saying he’d take it but it’d put more pressure on the club to up the ante further. And while I’m a big fan of big sexy....wingers are replaceable whereas Nicho probably isn’t. I’m more interested in the guys like Ronnie and Nicho that are devoted to the club and are prepared to take slight unders to be part of the Fitzy culture and long term vision of the club in general.

Last edited:

morton's beanie

Juniors
Simple fact is anyone can offer him anything at any time. The idea that rivals can't talk to players/agents till November is a myth. They just can't make an official offer until a certain date. - Nicho could have a handshake agreement with the Dolphins for 2025 right now.

So he doesn't need to wait to test the market. The market would already be testing him.

I think we re-sign before any of that "end of contract looming" or '"gone to market" shit but keep our powder dry and communication strong, keep him happy, looked after and properly paid for a guy who wants to win (not just be the best paid).

azzah72

Bench
I want to keep our backline intact, It was our best asset last year and the camaraderie from the team comes a lot from the back 5 guys ... well at least 4 of them imo.

lolesi

First Grade
believe the katoa rumour started as a joke. false info told to a person who believes they are in the know to see if they ran with it, which they did.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I hope our relationship with Roosters is in good order with what is happening with Keary
If he happens to medically retire they will have a spare million laying around if they want to make a play for Hynes.
Yes Manu can be switched to halves for them but is has not stopped them in the past

Frenzy.

Immortal
Katoa can go and get fekked.

Seriously, he's not on the same page. He's not sharing the coach/club/majority of players/fans vision and building process.

Remember when Ronnie came out before the World Cup and said everyone wanted to stay and would pretty much take unders to stay

Katoa is betraying this. That makes him corrosive and I'd show him the door as soon as someone knocks.