What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Frenzy.

Immortal
It is understood Martin was shopped to the Sharks by his management, but with Cronulla battling salary-cap issues, the Warriors have emerged as the front-runners to snare the Broncos utility back.

I call bullshit on this. The Sharks, if they need him for something, could have just borrowed him

Frenzy.

Immortal
Fifita looks set to get a new long term deal.

Monday Buzz: Andrew Fifita’s Sharks future, Tigers’ shameless cash grab & NRL Round 20 highlights, lowlights​

Former Cronulla coach John Morris wanted to get rid of front-rower Andrew Fifita early last year – and I agreed with him.
He looked overweight, lazy and a waste of salary cap money, soaking up around $850,000-a-season.

I also didn’t like some of the issues from his past.

Now the Sharks want to sign him long term or for as long as he wants to be there.

Not as a footy player (he’s 33) but in a role in the football department.

Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to admit you were wrong, especially after a conversation with Craig Fitzgibbon on Sunday morning.

The new coach came in last October with a fresh set of eyes.

Andrew Fifita showed a glimpse of his 2016 form with a barnstorming try against the Rabbitohs. Picture: Getty Images.

Andrew Fifita showed a glimpse of his 2016 form with a barnstorming try against the Rabbitohs. Picture: Getty Images.

Fifita had almost died last year in a freak accident in a match against the Newcastle Knights.

The coach was immediately impressed when he arrived in the Shire.

“I’d met him previously in NSW Origin camp and thought he was a good guy,” Fitzgibbon said.

“But I underestimated his care factor for the club and the love he has for his teammates.

“He’s got a winning mentality, that no matter what the situation, the game can be won.

“He’s all positive around the group in everything he does.”

Fitzgibbon didn’t care about the size of his pay packet or the strain on the cap.

“Andrew had been handed a long-term contract and he was entitled to that,” Fitzgibbon said.

“I’m happy for him and really admire that he’s come such a long way from the serious injury.”

Fifita is set to sign a long term deal with the club in an off-field role. Picture: Getty Images.

Fifita is set to sign a long term deal with the club in an off-field role. Picture: Getty Images.

Fifita had a blinder against the Rabbitohs on Saturday night.

The sold-out crowd started chanting his name after a barnstorming try similar to his premiership-winning touchdown in the 2016 grand final.

This wasn’t about skill but more his determination and resolve to get the football over the line no matter who was standing in the way.

Like Fitzgibbon, Sharks chairman Steve Mace cannot speak highly enough of the 244-game veteran.

“He is the cultural heartbeat of our club,” Mace said, “the real heart and soul.

“Among other things he plays an important role in luring and retaining pathways talent.

“The kids coming through have the highest respect for him.

“And so does everyone else at the Sharks.”

The crowd at PointsBet Stadium was electric, and proof of why we must support suburban-ground footy. Picture: Getty Images.

The crowd at PointsBet Stadium was electric, and proof of why we must support suburban-ground footy. Picture: Getty Images.

Fifita looks set to get a new long term deal.

Monday Buzz: Andrew Fifita’s Sharks future, Tigers’ shameless cash grab & NRL Round 20 highlights, lowlights​

Former Cronulla coach John Morris wanted to get rid of front-rower Andrew Fifita early last year – and I agreed with him.
He looked overweight, lazy and a waste of salary cap money, soaking up around $850,000-a-season.

I also didn’t like some of the issues from his past.

Now the Sharks want to sign him long term or for as long as he wants to be there.

Not as a footy player (he’s 33) but in a role in the football department.

Sometimes it doesn’t hurt to admit you were wrong, especially after a conversation with Craig Fitzgibbon on Sunday morning.

The new coach came in last October with a fresh set of eyes.

Fifita had almost died last year in a freak accident in a match against the Newcastle Knights.

The coach was immediately impressed when he arrived in the Shire.

“I’d met him previously in NSW Origin camp and thought he was a good guy,” Fitzgibbon said.

“But I underestimated his care factor for the club and the love he has for his teammates.

“He’s got a winning mentality, that no matter what the situation, the game can be won.

“He’s all positive around the group in everything he does.”

Fitzgibbon didn’t care about the size of his pay packet or the strain on the cap.

“Andrew had been handed a long-term contract and he was entitled to that,” Fitzgibbon said.

“I’m happy for him and really admire that he’s come such a long way from the serious injury.”

Fifita had a blinder against the Rabbitohs on Saturday night.

The sold-out crowd started chanting his name after a barnstorming try similar to his premiership-winning touchdown in the 2016 grand final.

This wasn’t about skill but more his determination and resolve to get the football over the line no matter who was standing in the way.

Like Fitzgibbon, Sharks chairman Steve Mace cannot speak highly enough of the 244-game veteran.

“He is the cultural heartbeat of our club,” Mace said, “the real heart and soul.

“Among other things he plays an important role in luring and retaining pathways talent.

“The kids coming through have the highest respect for him.

“And so does everyone else at the Sharks.”

Brilliant, was hoping he'd stick around post football.

Poss

Juniors
So no playing contract for next year for Fifita? Could be ok on a lower wage as a backup bench like he has been used this year. We have Kafusi coming but unless we are signing another middle, we should give big Andy another year on low coin?

Tiger Shark

Bench
So no playing contract for next year for Fifita? Could be ok on a lower wage as a backup bench like he has been used this year. We have Kafusi coming but unless we are signing another middle, we should give big Andy another year on low coin?
No, we have added JC and Tom also to next years squad.

Inferno

Coach
Fitzy had quite a while to cast an eye over our middles and made the decision to sign JC and TH over Frank the tank.

Hasn't put a foot wrong yet with retention or recruitment so I don't think it's a big loss.

Special K

Coach
Pele was ahead of Col and Hazleton on November 1st when Fitzy showed up. He is now behind them and both have been re-signed in the last 6 weeks. I'll back Fitz on this.

Am I the only one who is wondering about Royce? I'd like to keep him around.

R-15-3

Bench
Pele was ahead of Col and Hazleton on November 1st when Fitzy showed up. He is now behind them and both have been re-signed in the last 6 weeks. I'll back Fitz on this.

Am I the only one who is wondering about Royce? I'd like to keep him around.
I think hunt is only staying if we fail to sign another more established big middle. Rumours floating around about a number of different players and if any of those are true I think hunt won’t be needed.

chewsta

First Grade
I'm with you on Royce. I'd like to see him stick around too. He is a real handful carting the ball up at speed. Starting to get a bit of confidence in himself out there too.

Not fussed at all on Pele to be honest, from what I have seen of him he seems to be either a real shy kid or he is just lazy, I can't quite put my finger on it. If he had that killer attitude that someone like Ronnie has, he would be terrifying.
Good luck to him.

I’d like to keep Royce but it if we can improve the squad with a better player then so be it I’ll back Fitzy’s and the rest of the recruitment teams judgement.

Oh and Buzz we don’t give a f**k that you admit to being wrong about something. It happens so often it’s no surprise. Do I have to remind you that you were one of the biggest whingers about moving Morris for Fitzy? What a royal dummy spit that was.

I’d like to keep Royce but it if we can improve the squad with a better player then so be it I’ll back Fitzy’s and the rest of the recruitment teams judgement.

Oh and Buzz we don’t give a f**k that you admit to being wrong about something. It happens so often it’s no surprise. Do I have to remind you that you were one of the biggest whingers about moving Morris for Fitzy? What a royal dummy spit that was.
In regards to the Sloth and his dummy spit over Morris, I reckon that was more to do with the fact the club did not give him the inside goss on what was going on.
His drunken ego was hurt because the club he goes for did not give him the big news.
You ever noticed that since then he has been given some inside info and at the same time he has stopped bagging management?
It's not coincidental.

Latest posts