What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Frenzy.

Immortal
This may have been posted but I haven't seen it so will re post

CRONULLA’S FAB FIVE MAKE PAY CUT PACT

Cronulla star Ronaldo Mulitalo says pay cuts have ‘got to happen’ if the club has any chance of keeping their starting back five together beyond 2023.

The Sharks are facing a feeding frenzy with Will Kennedy, Sione Katoa, Jesse Ramien, Sifa Talakai and Mulitalo set to hit the open market from November 1.

But Mulitalo revealed the five players have had numerous discussions about the club’s salary cap squeeze and made a pact to take a pay cut in a bid to remain together at the Shire.

“For all us, we all know we’re probably going to have to take a pay cut at some point, that’s just got to happen,” Mulitalo said.

“Sifa has played Origin, Sione is an international, Jesse is on the cusp of Origin and is having an outstanding season.

“It’s tough for the club, we just have to try and find some way of fitting us all in. I‘m pretty confident something will happen.”

“We’ve all had conversations about being together. We have won championships together through the juniors and through reserve grade, so we want to stick together.”

So serious are the backline quintet of not being torn apart by a salary cap squeeze, Mulitalo revealed their respective managers will meet to hash out a plan to fulfil the wishes of their clients.

Ronaldo Mulitalo says he is ready to take a pay cut to keep the Sharks back five together. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images) Ronaldo Mulitalo says he is ready to take a pay cut to keep the Sharks back five together. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

“Our managers are all trying to get together, everyone wants a bit of the cake and it’s about how much we dish out to everyone,” Mulitalo said.

All five players are in fine form and have been crucial to Cronulla’s rise on the NRL ladder this season.

Talakai is now a NSW Blues player, while Jesse Ramien has factored in Origin selection discussions and Mulitalo and Katoa are international representatives. Kennedy is in career-best form at fullback.

It appears inevitable the players will field enticing offers from rival outfits, if any are allowed to hit the open market in just over two months time.

Any delay in negotiations could mean the club won’t be able to lock in the stars until after the Rugby League World Cup with all, except Kennedy, likely to feature in the tournament.

The Sharks are in extension talks with Mulitalo and the winger is keen to make a deal before the finals series.

“I have had talks, we all have. I think the club is communicating with us about it all so we’ve had those little conversations,” Mulitalo said.

“But we have the season to focus on. If I can’t get it done before November 1, which is not ideal, I’m sure it will be done by the end of the year.”

With the Sharks in reach of a top two finish there are fears contract talks could become a distraction heading into the finals.

Siosifa Talakai is set to hit the open market from November 1. Siosifa Talakai is set to hit the open market from November 1.

But Mulitalo insisted the focus remained solely on winning Cronulla’s second premiership with players no longer content riding the success of the club’s historic title in 2016.

“I think for us, we were riding on that for so many years, their success. Obviously we want to honour them but we have to build our own legacy and build our own history in this jersey,” he said.

“We spoke about really making a dent, rather than just being a part of it. The last time in 2020 we just made up the numbers … but now we have stability at the top and Craig Fitzgibbon.

“His standards are so high. Then you have guys like Dale Finucane and Cameron McInnes that have set the bar, they have come in and shown us what winning looks like and what it takes to win.”

Fitzgibbon’s ‘standards have done more than turn the Sharks into a competitive outfit but have also ‘tightened the screws’ on off-field expectations.

Mulitalo believes that has been the key to Cronulla’s turnaround in 2022.

“Touch wood, we haven’t had anything off the field, if you look at our history we maybe haven’t been the best,” Mulitalo said.

“He’s tightened the screws around off the field stuff. He talks about being a better man, that’s what comes before everything.

“It shows we are serious about our footy and how we hold ourselves in public and we stand tall anywhere we go.”

lolesi

First Grade
To be honest even at 29 I’m surprised Api signed with them. I guess the fact he’s won Premierships already softens the blow going to a basket case Club and of course a generous pay day.

DCE is a bit of an odd individual but eventually someone slapped some reality into him and he realised joining the Gold Coast was a fast tracked way of ruining his career.

Munster is way too competitive to go to a Club like the Tigers. He’s going to get a pay day wherever he goes and he has choices and the Tigers choice will be last I’m sure.
oh I have no doubt he ain’t going to tigers. no one with half a brain would go to that rabble.

horrible club.

Not a Sharks rumour.

But can’t believe the Tigers are that naive to think they could get Munster.

Even if it is a ridiculous 7million for 5 years.

That club is so embarrassing it’s not funny.

Also if this is the desperate stupidity they are going to do to get talent at their Club we better make a move to sign who we want to keep by November 1.

I can see them making big plays for our unsigned players.
I think their only hope is to merge with the Illawarra /Stain George Steelers. Got a certain ring to it .... Illawarra/stain , Wests /balmain , Tigpies . Could call themselves "Merged Losers" Surely the fans would get behind them! Should have plenty Player talent . Just a little lacking in the Financial management side of things.

Ronnie just get your contract sorted out mate and let the Club decide who out of the other 4 they want to keep.

Players shouldn’t assume they will all be required beyond 2023.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
We lose two props, going with the kids?

Right price I would take Klemmer 2 years and Tamou 1 year. What is Pele doing?

Weaponhead

Coach
We lose two props, going with the kids?

Right price I would take Klemmer 2 years and Tamou 1 year. What is Pele doing?
Oregon Kaufusi is coming. Klemmer at the right price could work as long he fits into the role within the rotation. He is a starter who makes yards and would allow BHU to come off the bench where I reckon he is more effective.

Tamou is done. Would not consider.