What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2011/2012 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patorick

Staff member
Means nothing until the signature is on the contract though.

There were similar stories regarding Orford in 2009.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Means nothing until the signature is on the contract though.

There were similar stories regarding Orford in 2009.

Agree with this bloke, what do you guys thing they will say, nah we are f**ked, gonna lose a few stars cause we won the title and now everyone wants more cash along with the backloaded contracts already.

No matter what club, once you win a title you will lose a few players, the bad thing for manly is the players they have off contract are the halves who will want the biggest pay rise with the likes of watmough, king, kite, ballin, t rex etc all already wrapped up and extended they will be on backloaded deals as your cap would be stretched. That's not even listing blokes like lyon, matai, williams, stewart etc.

It shits me when you see it happen to clubs, they should be rewarded for bringing through talent, though in saying that i won't complain if it means we land Foran.

ceagle

Bench
We are going to have to shell a few to keep DCE and Foran, I'm looking at B.Stewart and Lyon.

Also a few rumors running the mill

From twitter
“@RLW_Mole: @berkeley_eagle Foran will stay, Stewart bros and Cherry maybe not so...”

“@NRL_RUMOUR_MILL: According to Matty Johns both Stewart brothers will be at the Dogs 2013, Dugan to resign with Canberra DCE and Foran to resign with Manly”

It's from Matty Johns so most likely bullshit.

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I'd happily give up both Stewarts and Lyon to keep DCE and Foran. It's a no-brainer, even Manly couldn't get this one wrong.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Dunno about that, i don't think Des badly wanted to go, they f**ked that up.

As for giving up Lyon and both Stewarts for foran and dce i don't think thats a good call.

Lyon won't leave, he will retire so won't happen.

Brett and Glenn for dce and foran sure, though i doubt they will command anywhere near the same money. Despite what some manly fans think Glenn Stewart is no Gallen. Not to mention his last deal wouldn't be anywhere near the money they would need, or what he would want now.

skeepe

Immortal
We are going to have to shell a few to keep DCE and Foran, I'm looking at B.Stewart and Lyon.

Also a few rumors running the mill

From twitter
“@RLW_Mole: @berkeley_eagle Foran will stay, Stewart bros and Cherry maybe not so...”

“@NRL_RUMOUR_MILL: According to Matty Johns both Stewart brothers will be at the Dogs 2013, Dugan to resign with Canberra DCE and Foran to resign with Manly”

It's from Matty Johns so most likely bullshit.

Why would any of those players resign? When's the last time any player resigned? I can't think of one.

Parra Pride

Referee
If the DT is right (which is highly unlikely) why would you be offering $650,000 a year to someone as injury prone as Dugan? Surely you would be waiting for him to string a couple of injury free seasons together before chucking that kind of money at him.

RWB

Bench
There's no way he's worth 650k yet and is a big risk but at the same time they just can't afford to lose him either.

Paying overs is just the reality of the market if you want to keep good youngsters.

Ladmate

Bench
Big overpayment. Is he really worth more than Marshall, Smith, Slater and he's in the ballpark for JT money as well. However, I can't blame them. Losing Dugan would be absolutely terrible for them.

Spot On

Coach
If the DT is right (which is highly unlikely) why would you be offering $650,000 a year to someone as injury prone as Dugan? Surely you would be waiting for him to string a couple of injury free seasons together before chucking that kind of money at him.

He also has a lot of trouble using the ball in backline movements. I swear this bloke can't pass. 650K is insane.

skeepe

Immortal
650k would include some significant third party deals I'd imagine - while the level of corporate support available in Canberra is nowhere near that of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, they've shown in the past that if the player's good enough, they'll come to the party.

It may seem like a lot for a player who has realistically achieved very little, but you only have to listen to the praise he gets from rep camps to see that it's worth every dollar.

Dugan is someone other players want to play with. His re-signing will keep other players at the club, or attract others who may not have bothered considering an offer from Canberra otherwise.

Most of all though, it was something the Raideemrs had to do to show that they're still going to be competitive in the future. We've always been more a club that produces its own players rather than makes marquee signings. If we couldn't sign big name players, and couldn't keep the marquee players we develop, then we'd be destined to be a bottom half club for a very long time.

So yeah, it's a lot of money, but in my opinion it's money well spent.

super_coach

First Grade
Dugan, no doubt a great player but not sure if he will ever play enough ganes to warrant mega bucks. He strikes me as a player that will always have injury problems, similar to Mullins and Negas. Anyway hope it happens love to see players sticking with their clubs rather than heading to the dogs or the chooks

Status
Not open for further replies.