What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured signings 2014 / 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

First Grade
All those players you still have to pay though and the basic wage is a lot higher than it used to be. Realistically your average first grader (i.e. the bottom end of your squad) will receive 200-300k at least now. It'd be more for some of the blokes you mentioned, maybe a bit less for some of the blokes promoted from the juniors that may still be on a small contract...but it still averages out to needing at least a million dollars for say 4 of those blokes.

I'm not saying Parra don't have juniors. My point was that you can't use juniors as a reason for being able to buy so many players when the majority of the salary cap is, or will be taken up by blokes that aren't juniors anyway.

If a team like the Roosters can keep star a studded side together with mostly bought players, and Souths can buy almost all the key players needed to win a premiership then I see nothing wrong with what the Eels are doing, nothing at all, good on them for being proactive and getting key players that they need.

Noname36

First Grade
If a team like the Roosters can keep star a studded side together with mostly bought players, and Souths can buy almost all the key players needed to win a premiership then I see nothing wrong with what the Eels are doing, nothing at all, good on them for being proactive and getting key players that they need.

I'm certainly not excusing what the Roosters, Souths, Bulldogs or Broncos do either but enough has been said about them on this matter.

Incorrect

Coach
Lmao what?

Another case of:
Player at the club "playing for next to nothing"
Player left the club "was on ridiculous money"

Who ever said Morgan was playing for next to nothing? Certainly not I. If the dollars I was told he is on are ballpark, not re-signing him should allow the club to sign a better/established outside back or top up 2 or 3 other contracts for the likes of Mo'eroa, Pauli, Folau etc, not a bloke like Morgan who drifts in to first grade only when injury and suspension dictate it be so

Kiwi

First Grade
I'm certainly not excusing what the Roosters, Souths, Bulldogs or Broncos do either but enough has been said about them on this matter.

I am certainly not going to lay the boot into a club and it's fans for doing what every other club is trying to do, just because they start doing it well like other clubs isn't a reason as far as I'm concerned. Other cellar dwellers just need to pick their act up, it wasn't that long ago Souths were the laughing stock of the competition, poor crowds, getting their arses handed to them weekly, they made the right changes and now they are the team to beat. Eels shouldn't be attacked for sorting themselves out.

Noname36

First Grade
I am certainly not going to lay the boot into a club and it's fans for doing what every other club is trying to do, just because they start doing it well like other clubs isn't a reason as far as I'm concerned. Other cellar dwellers just need to pick their act up, it wasn't that long ago Souths were the laughing stock of the competition, poor crowds, getting their arses handed to them weekly, they made the right changes and now they are the team to beat. Eels shouldn't be attacked for sorting themselves out.

Of course you're not going to. Your own coach said himself a couple of weeks ago that your club is able to abuse the current ridiculous third party rules (or lack there of) to get an advantage. I don't imagine you'd see a problem with it.

natheel

Coach
I think Johnston would get around the 400-450k mark and if Norman goes which is what is expected than that's his coin straight onto Johnston

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Rabbitohs are trying to recruit every player In the market? Rabbitohs are hard fought just trying to keep our home grown talent right now
And your mob didn't do same to get where you are at???? Get a great coach, buy some stars with some smart purchases and use young local talent on the cheap to cover the holes in your squad. It's what you guys did and also what the a Roosters did the year before.

Last season we were paying 750k out of our cap for players no longer at the club, add in Hayne leaving and front loading contracts for this season and letting go Plodders on massive overs and we have plenty in the cap to chase star recruits. We finally get our shit together and people accuse us of cheating :lol: even funnier coming from a Souffs fan.

Kiwi

First Grade
Of course you're not going to. Your own coach said himself a couple of weeks ago that your club is able to abuse the current ridiculous third party rules (or lack there of) to get an advantage. I don't imagine you'd see a problem with it.
EVERY club does it. If you think otherwise you are very naive. Some clubs do it better than others

Kiwi

First Grade
I think Johnston would get around the 400-450k mark and if Norman goes which is what is expected than that's his coin straight onto Johnston
Yep Norman was signed for overs. Would be a great swap for the Eels

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Yep Norman was signed for overs. Would be a great swap for the Eels

You're dreaming mate Norman is playing like one of competition best 5/8th at the moment, worth well more right now than what he signed him for, we just simply pair better with foran and sandow than foran and Norman, if he were to stay on similar coin because we couldn't keep sandow, we'd be just as stoked

Incorrect

Coach

Yeah 400K is about what I reckon he'd be after or at least what I'd be prepared to pay (and this would only be a modest top up from Morgan's last contract is what I'm led to believe)... but that's still risky IMO for a guy who has proven himself as a winger only at this point. He may well end up a fine fullback in time and you end up with a bargain on your hands, but at this stage you could only pigeon-hole him as a winger....

BranVan3000

Coach
:lol: what? You dont just pay him once and than he is yours forever, you gotta you know keep paying him every year.

No the point is we invested in a big player. But we didn't go into the market trying to buy every single one and other club's products. Since the GI signing it is almost entirely players who have debuted for the club who are now playing for us. It's funny Roosters and Souths get crap for the cap but are basically two of the only clubs where 90% of the roster was developed in house

Everything the Eels are doing has been poached from Manly/Souths development systems

betcats

Referee
No the point is we invested in a big player. But we didn't go into the market trying to buy every single one and other club's products. Since the GI signing it is almost entirely players who have debuted for the club who are now playing for us. It's funny Roosters and Souths get crap for the cap but are basically two of the only clubs where 90% of the roster was developed in house

Everything the Eels are doing has been poached from Manly/Souths development systems

Yeah and the investment in Inglis is a big reason you wont keep all of those young guys.

yobbo84

Coach
Inglis and Stewart are the only two big-name signings in our top squad that we have "poached" from another club. Tom Burgess you could probably also count as he was playing ESL.

Along with talented local juniors (Johnston, Walker, Sutton, etc), the majority of our squad are astute lower-grade signings who have become quality NRL players (George Burgess, Luke Keary, Issac Luke, Chris McQueen, Kirisome Auva'a, etc).

Incorrect

Coach
Inglis and Stewart are the only two big-name signings in our top squad that we have "poached" from another club. Tom Burgess you could probably also count as he was playing ESL.

Along with talented local juniors (Johnston, Walker, Sutton, etc), the majority of our squad are astute lower-grade signings who have become quality NRL players (George Burgess, Luke Keary, Issac Luke, Chris McQueen, Kirisome Auva'a, etc).

Don't forget Reddy...

Noname36

First Grade
EVERY club does it. If you think otherwise you are very naive. Some clubs do it better than others

I don't think you understand the nature of third party sponsorship.

It's not so much that some clubs do it better than others, it's that some clubs can do it better than others. Third party sponsorship is pretty much determined by the market you're in. A club like the Raiders is actually very successful and wealthy but they're never going to attract large amounts of third party sponsorship because there's just not enough interest in that Canberra market.

Likewise there are very, very few wealthy Newcastle based companies that could provide third party sponsorship for the Knights. There are a couple of wealthy mining companies but they already sponsor the club and third party sponsorship needs to be independent.

To say clubs just need to get their shit together is so naive because the only way they could really do that would be by picking up the whole club and moving it to a new location.

betcats

Referee

Tom and George Burgess both came from Bradford so they dont count imo but I wasnt having a go at you for poaching players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts