What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured signings 2014 / 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
what souffs have done very well and what we're trying to replicate is to identify where your youth talents are strong and to buy for where they are not.

in souffs case, they have let go of some very impressive up and coming hookers (eg korisau, maybe mcinnis might go) and halfbacks (eg sandow) and purchased to fill their prop (burgess's) and fullback gaps (inglis)

penrith are doing just that now by identifying strength in their backline filled by their juniors and are now poaching quality up front (merrin).

yes there is a benefit in having first dibs to your juniors if they're identified correctly, but nothings never not for sale, there's always a price, especially when it involves a sign on fee that doesn't count under any caps.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
Yep Norman was signed for overs. Would be a great swap for the Eels

At the time he was signed for overs but I think he's more than pulling his weight now. Your team could do with him ;) haha but honestly if we lose Norman it would be mixed feelings. But we could have a halves pairing of

6. Foran
7. Norman

Or

6. Foran
7. Sandow

If be happy with either

yobbo84

Coach
Tom and George Burgess both came from Bradford so they dont count imo but I wasnt having a go at you for poaching players.

George never played ESL - he was a lower grader. He came straight to our NYC squad before progressing to first grade.

Tom on the other hand spent two years playing ESL with Bradford.

betcats

Referee
George never played ESL - he was a lower grader. He came straight to our NYC squad before progressing to first grade.

Tom on the other hand spent two years playing ESL with Bradford.

He was signed to Bradford and came through their development squads, im sure they wanted to keep him. It doesnt get more poached than that imo.

Josh mansour was a lower grader who went into our reserve grade side and into FG, does that mean we developed him? lol cmon be realistic.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
No the point is we invested in a big player. But we didn't go into the market trying to buy every single one and other club's products. Since the GI signing it is almost entirely players who have debuted for the club who are now playing for us. It's funny Roosters and Souths get crap for the cap but are basically two of the only clubs where 90% of the roster was developed in house

Everything the Eels are doing has been poached from Manly/Souths development systems

Who are we buying from every Club that is a prospect?

Foran is an established first grader
Scott if we get him is a vet

Johnston if we get him is the only prospect we would be buying

We have plenty of our own juniors coming through that will be in the 17 in the future. We just need the players around them in positions we don't have the strength in like Fullback or where we have great prospects and Scott and Watmough are to help bring players in.

natheel

Coach
Inglis and Stewart are the only two big-name signings in our top squad that we have "poached" from another club. Tom Burgess you could probably also count as he was playing ESL.

Along with talented local juniors (Johnston, Walker, Sutton, etc), the majority of our squad are astute lower-grade signings who have become quality NRL players (George Burgess, Luke Keary, Issac Luke, Chris McQueen, Kirisome Auva'a, etc).

Tim Grant is a pretty decent signing too. Former state of origin rep and signed for 4 years

BranVan3000

Coach
I think Johnston would get around the 400-450k mark and if Norman goes which is what is expected than that's his coin straight onto Johnston

Way way overs for a second year rookie. I mean he has amazing speed but other than zipping around others and good instincts for the game, he hasn't shown a great deal else. At this point he doesn't have a big step, no real tackle breaking, no big fend. If his manager is able to get him 450k I hope Souths management go nowhere near him. He hasn't earned that sort of pay yet

BranVan3000

Coach
Who are we buying from every Club that is a prospect?

Foran is an established first grader
Scott if we get him is a vet

Johnston if we get him is the only prospect we would be buying

We have plenty of our own juniors coming through that will be in the 17 in the future. We just need the players around them in positions we don't have the strength in like Fullback or where we have great prospects and Scott and Watmough are to help bring players in.

Uh in recent years you've nabbed Hopoate, Foran, Watmough, Norman, Sandow, Peats, and still trying to expand that list for next year

BranVan3000

Coach
He was signed to Bradford and came through their development squads, im sure they wanted to keep him. It doesnt get more poached than that imo.

Josh mansour was a lower grader who went into our reserve grade side and into FG, does that mean we developed him? lol cmon be realistic.

Yes Panthers get credit for Mansour. They took a bet on an unproven rookie. Meanwhile Eels are poaching wanted talent

betcats

Referee
Yes Panthers get credit for Mansour. They took a bet on an unproven rookie. Meanwhile Eels are poaching wanted talent

Everyone does that. Souths may have brought a lot of kids through their ranks but the victory last year was off the back of Inglis and Burgess, two wanted talents.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Inglis and Stewart are the only two big-name signings in our top squad that we have "poached" from another club. Tom Burgess you could probably also count as he was playing ESL.

Along with talented local juniors (Johnston, Walker, Sutton, etc), the majority of our squad are astute lower-grade signings who have become quality NRL players (George Burgess, Luke Keary, Issac Luke, Chris McQueen, Kirisome Auva'a, etc).

As much as I despise Souths they have done wonderfully well with their junior retention over the past few years and this is the key to their success.

natheel

Coach
Uh in recent years you've nabbed Hopoate, Foran, Watmough, Norman, Sandow, Peats, and still trying to expand that list for next year

Peats wasn't wanted
Norman wasn't wanted
Hopoate was on a 2 year gap and we were happy to take him
Foran and Sandow are the 2 we poached that were wanted by other clubs

Also Watmough wanted out of Manly.

Who cares if we have got a few players from other clubs. Souths have done it in the past and still do. All clubs do it

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore

We've let the buzzards pick our young talent for years, but now we're pushing back and giving as good as we got, we are evil?

Other teams have torn apart our wanted talent for years (and fair play to them). It's our turn now.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Peats wasn't wanted
Norman wasn't wanted

Who cares if we have got a few players from other clubs. Souths have done it in the past and still do. All clubs do it

:lol:

You must be trolling with the Hopoate comment. Please.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Peats wasn't wanted
Norman wasn't wanted

Geez there's some revisionist history in this one. Couldn't care less about the purchasing/poaching issue back and forward, but this is a pretty lol post.

Peats was released from his contract because of an opportunity, not because Souths weren't happy to keep him on their books. Same deal as with Koriosau

Norman -Griffin was confident of him staying but the offer was too good to turn down. He wasn't unwanted.

Hopoate - Eels signed him in advance before his mission. You make it sound like you took him in like a stray puppy.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Geez there's some revisionist history in this one. Couldn't care less about the purchasing/poaching issue back and forward, but this is a pretty lol post.

Peats was released from his contract because of an opportunity, not because Souths weren't happy to keep him on their books. Same deal as with Koriosau
Correct.
Peats had re-signed with The Rabbitohs just months before Eels approached him and asked him to get a release. He was signed up till the end of this year. In fact Maguire had taken such a liking to him he was often being started over Luke.
It could very well have been him playing in the Grand Final last year instead of Api
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2013/03/13/rabbitohs-re-sign-nathan-peats-for-seasons-2014-and-2015.html

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Way way overs for a second year rookie. I mean he has amazing speed but other than zipping around others and good instincts for the game, he hasn't shown a great deal else. At this point he doesn't have a big step, no real tackle breaking, no big fend. If his manager is able to get him 450k I hope Souths management go nowhere near him. He hasn't earned that sort of pay yet
I totally agree with you there. I love AJ. He's probably one of my favourites to watch but he only debuted in Round 8 last year so to get anything over 250k is too much IMO. If it came down to a choice between him and Turgess I'd take Turgess. Not saying I wouldn't want AJ but forwards are integral to a teams go forward and GI can create those same finishing passes for whoever we'd bring in to replace him. Of course I'd prefer we kept both ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts