What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogslife

Coach
Anthony Mundine was on a bit of coin in 97 and didn't see out his contract. Factoring in inflation, the Broncs now have an extra $2mil in cap space

insert.pause

First Grade
Does the cap have to be for 25 players or can you have less ?

Has to be for 25 players. A lot of those Broncos players listed would have been on the second tier cap and in some cases the 20's cap, so they don't have to be replaced with minimum wage players in the top 25 squad. The reason the Broncos have cap space to afford Barba, Kennedy, Lowrie, Vidot and Mills is because the cap has risen and they have lost a few players from the top 25 squad which need to be replaced. Pretty simple really. You don't know how they have managed their roster for 2015 when Milford starts and when potentially Smith starts, guys there now may not be resigned when they come off contract in 2015. They have one recognised half on their books and hes inexperienced. Hardly sounds like a roster that is over the cap.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
What you don't seem to understand, Jason, is if you cut 12 players and free up $1mil cap space to sign Cam Smith.....you still need another $880k minimum to sign another 11 players to replace the 12 you cut.

Thanks for the basic maths lesson. Obviously you missed the section where I pointed out that not everyone we have cut WAS on a basic salary ergo your sums based on everyone we've cut being on a baseline salary package are irrelevant.

I am well aware that NRL clubs must maintain 25 players under the salary cap.

But people here are taking it for granted that we "have to be" rorting the cap because we are alleged (though of course never proven) to have done so previously.

My point is simply to show that we have available cap space to buy players because we've cut a sh*tload over the past few seasons. Yes a lot of those players will have to be depth or young up and comers on little coin, because that's what the salary cap enforces.

A few of our higher paid players have also been cut and with the salary cap increases and our lack of major signings prior to Barba over many years we clearly have a significant amount of cap space.

I think it likely that even the most rabid anti-Bronco would be willing to concede that spending $2m or $3m or whatever on someone like a Cameron Smith or a DCE would very likely attract the attention of the salary cap auditors, so I'd be astonished if our books weren't as clean as a preachers sheets right now, given the reports of the amounts of money we are allegedly willing to spend that are being thrown around.

RWB

Bench
It's probably just easier if all the great accountants on here tell us which clubs are and aren't over the salary cap at the beginning of each year so we don't have to go through ridiculously tiresome, ill-informed & repetitive arguments.

Kiwi

First Grade
Anthony Mundine was on a bit of coin in 97 and didn't see out his contract. Factoring in inflation, the Broncs now have an extra $2mil in cap space

And Barba was on 350k which gives the "bred not bought" bulldogs about the same to find a replacement. Of your club and mine one has been stripped of points and suffered serious fines, breaches etc for salary cap cheating, gee I wonder which one that might be.

dogslife

Coach
Well obviously the Donks have a better accountant than we did in 02, because clearly I'm not alone in thinking salary cap is a foreign term at your club. Kudos on that one, he must've graduated top of his class.

Either that or those thoroughbred brown paper bags are getting fatter :lol:

Last edited:

Kiwi

First Grade
Well obviously the Donks have a better accountant than we did in 02, because clearly I'm not alone in thinking salary cap is a foreign term at your club. Kudos on that one, he must've graduated top of his class.

Either that or those thoroughbred brown paper bags are getting fatter :lol:

ok pumpkin you take your evidence to the NRL. Should I be careful, I mean people think bulldog fans are nothing more than middle eastern thugs who wreck trains and cause problems at games, so it must be true under your logic so I wouldn't want to upset you and suffer your wrath.

RHCP

Bench
Where can I find the 'Player Salaries' section of the NRL website? You guys seem to know a lot about them.

Everybody seems to be forgetting that every club is over the cap except the one I support.

some11

Referee
If you walk into the Broncos Leagues Club, go upstairs to the boardroom and look in the books you'll find we're way over the cap, Maranta is on $750k.

Kiwi

First Grade
If you walk into the Broncos Leagues Club, go upstairs to the boardroom and look in the books you'll find we're way over the cap, Maranta is on $750k.

he had a bad year so did deserve the pay cut though you have to admit

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Back onto the rumours...

Cam Smith has signed for the Broncs.

Karmichael Hunt -> Broncs in 2014.

Martin Kennedy -> on the bench for 2014 due to ASADA.

no name

Coach
Yeah, I heard from someone that the Storm had pretty much given up hope of Smith staying.

Not sure how reliable the source is but.

POPEYE

Coach
Hunt/Barba/Milford . . . "You tackle, I want the ball . . . no it's my ball, your turn to tackle . . . I don't do that shit . . . f**k, look what you did"

Status
Not open for further replies.