What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Cameron Smith may be about to re-sign with the Melbourne Storm, source -

http://www.nrl.com.au/smith-set-to-stay-with-storm/tabid/10874/newsid/76172/default.aspx

Smith set to stay with Storm
By Melissa Woods
AAP
1:00pm Fri 07th February, 2014

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith looks to have turned his back on Brisbane to play out his NRL career with the Storm.

Smith appeared certain to be lured to the Broncos on a multi-million dollar deal but Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy is now optimistic his captain will stay put.

The Australian skipper is tipped to make an announcement at the Storm family day in Melbourne on Saturday prior to their trial match against Canberra at AAMI Park.

"He hasn't said to me 'this has happened' but I can just tell by the way that he's talking to me that it looks a bit more promising than it did before Christmas," Bellamy told SEN radio on Friday morning. "Before Christmas I was certainly of the thought that he would be leaving but I'm thinking the other way now."

Smith is off contract at the end of the season and it was thought that he was leaning towards moving his young family back home to Brisbane to be closer to relatives. A holiday post World Cup, where he led the Kangaroos to victory, appears to have changed his mind and he's decided to remain alongside his Test teammates Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater.

"It's been a roller-coaster since it started," Bellamy said.

"Hopefully that gets sorted out in the next few weeks."

POPEYE

Coach
Maybe the green jumper at the BBL semi was a hint, the home of sport seems to have won Cam over.

Maybe Eddie the tosser Maguire with his Ch9 connections has put a horse's head in his bed

Maybe Smith has milked the cow dry enough to put it out of it's misery

Maybe there's more records to be broken in Melbourne

Maybe Smith and his cohorts never had any intention of separating

Maybe some of us don't give a shit for the reason as long as he stays

super_coach

First Grade
a Friend who has very close links with rugby, tells me Burgess done deal and Souths have signed a player from the Shire to replace him with. The player from the Shire is a real talent

RWB

Bench
looks like it will take a huge chunk of change to keep Smith. 4mill according to this article, and if it's bigger than the Broncos that 4 million is only for 3 years. I'd rather the Storm be spending that sort of money on Smith than the Broncos, even if we don't get DCE either I'm very happy with our squad for 2015.

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/n...resigned-to-fate/story-fniabjcr-1226821018330

Smith is Brisbane's great premiership hope in the near future, don't kid yourself.

Kiwi

First Grade
Smith is Brisbane's great premiership hope in the near future, don't kid yourself.

Not gonna lie, having him at the club would certainly improve our chances, Smith is that type of player, but I certainly would rather another club tie up in excess of 1.3 million a year for him. We were offering 4mil over 3 years, the storm raised their offer by 400k to out bid us on price, like I said I would rather them than us. There will be other hookers if McCullough has a bad 2014. If the very public chase of Smith isn't enough to wake him up nothing will. As it stands in 2015 McCullough is our weakest link, we are fine everywhere else.

RWB

Bench
Not gonna lie, having him at the club would certainly improve our chances, Smith is that type of player, but I certainly would rather another club tie up in excess of 1.3 million a year for him. We were offering 4mil over 3 years, the storm raised their offer by 400k to out bid us on price, like I said I would rather them than us. There will be other hookers if McCullough has a bad 2014. If the very public chase of Smith isn't enough to wake him up nothing will. As it stands in 2015 McCullough is our weakest link, we are fine everywhere else.

Even though you don't have one proven First Grade half in the squad?

Kiwi

First Grade
Even though you don't have one proven First Grade half in the squad?

Last year we had two proven halves with a lot of experience, look what that did for our attack.

Hunt has played a good amount of first grade, not in his preferred position, but he knows what is expected of him and I think Hunt will improve this year a lot with more game time in the 7, and with Milford joining him in the halves in 2015 I think our weakest link is McCullough out of Barba, Milford, Hunt and McCullough. The main spine of our backline has gone from Norman, Prince and Wallace to Barba, Milford and Hunt, I'm excited for the first time in a while.

Last edited:

ek999

First Grade
Last year you had two shit experienced halves. This year you have two shit inexperienced halves.

Kiwi

First Grade
Last year you had two shit experienced halves. This year you have two shit inexperienced halves.

Meh our 6 might be a problem for this year, but not 2015 which is what I was discussing with RWB. Plus we have Barba, the Bulldogs made it to the Grand Final with shit halves on the back of Barba, and only looked good when he was on the field last year with shit halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.