What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

nick87

Coach
Yeah but for Nofo?
I mean i dont really care who it's for... you cant trumpet Cotric as a major signing and talk about how he's such a great signing and how Raiders fans saying "eh, i dont know about him at that money" are just salty and then 12 months later sending him packing without me getting some real joy out of it

I dont think it is legit but the fact its even a thing, a rumour, a whisper in the wind, tells you that those who said the dogs made a mistake with that signing were 100% correct. And i say that understanding Cotric is a tremendously good footballer and talent. But paying that money for a winger was NEVER, EVER a good idea.
It's not for JAC either even though he's cheaper and better.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It would be objectively hilarious to see Cotric shipped out a year into a deal after Bulldogs fans were extremely defensive about my criticism of them spending the money they did on Cotric to begin with 😀

Honestly it was just about trying to get players here in the first place. A state of origin winger signing may have assisted others coming over. That we may have decided that it's best we reduce the amount we are spending on our backline cause the forwards need some serious work, and it's probably easiest to move him on now while his stint at the Raiders can be remembered. I think overall it's probably was worth the move at the time to get that first domino to fall. And if someone like the Tigers wants to take on a 600K winger. Well who are the Dogs to stop them from having a nibble.

dogslife

Coach
Obviously the plan was for him to play in the centres, but defensively he was a liability there.

Team running last paying overs for an above average talent is hardly groundbreaking either. Quite frankly, I'd be a little miffed as a supporter if we decided to rest on our laurels and not go after whoever is available when we're in such a shit position. We've got plenty of players on truly horrific contracts (Napa, Hopoate and the like), Cotric is the least of our concerns tbh.

Obviously the plan was for him to play in the centres, but defensively he was a liability there.

Team running last paying overs for an above average talent is hardly groundbreaking either. Quite frankly, I'd be a little miffed as a supporter if we decided to rest on our laurels and not go after whoever is available when we're in such a shit position. We've got plenty of players on truly horrific contracts (Napa, Hopoate and the like), Cotric is the least of our concerns tbh.

Problem is, so far to most extents, signing rumours for the Bulldogs all seem to be about backs. Until the Dogs get some better forwards, it wouldn't matters who they have in the halves or the backs. The old adage "forwards decide matches, backs decide by how much" still rings true.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Milford to parra for the rest of the year. Opinions ploise @hineyrulz @Bazal

I’m so sorry
Benny Hill What GIF

Mark B

Juniors
Not a dumpster fire of a signing just yet. With all the teams based out of Qld it does not mean he has to up stumps and move to Sydney. We will see.

aqua_duck

Coach
To be fair the dogs appear to be going in for Finucane, TPJ and Vaughn too
When I hear about the players the bulldogs are targeting I fear that they'll turn themselves into the new wests tigers. When you already have players with questionable reputations like Naden, Elliott, Hethrington on board I'm not sure Vaughan and TPJ are the right characters to add to the mix. Yesterday we saw how prone they are to brain explosions and now they want to add 2 of the biggest brain explosion merchants into the mix

When I hear about the players the bulldogs are targeting I fear that they'll turn themselves into the new wests tigers. When you already have players with questionable reputations like Naden, Elliott, Hethrington on board I'm not sure Vaughan and TPJ are the right characters to add to the mix. Yesterday we saw how prone they are to brain explosions and now they want to add 2 of the biggest brain explosion merchants into the mix

That could be where Phil Gould coming on board could be a very astute signing. He may not get everything right in what he does, but he ouwld be unlikely to sign them. If he did, he'd recommend they be on bonsus, short term, contracts, with penalty provisions or easy termination clauses in them. I mean have a look what happened at Penrith when he cleaned out some players who, despite talent, were proving problematice off field - he got rid of them

reanimate

Bench
Rumour: every off-contract player -> Bulldogs.
The Bulldogs have reportedly won the race for the signature of unwanted Broncos enforcer Tevita Pangai Jr.

Meanwhile the Bulldogs are closing in on the signature of former Dragons prop Paul Vaughan.
The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Bulldogs had signed Tevita Pangai Jr on a $2.2m deal beating the Tigers to the punch.

The deal was reported as a three-year contract from next season until the end of 2024 after the Broncos reportedly agreed to release him.

Earlier Speaking on Fox League’s NRL Tonight, Brent Read from The Australian revelead the Bulldogs are set to announce the signing of Pangai Jr in the next two days.

“This is close,” Brent Read said on NRL Tonight on Monday night.

“Tevita’s management were talking with the Broncos tonight about a settlement or a payout figure that could make the deal go through with, it looks like Canterbury.

“Canterbury are very confident that they have won the day with Tevita Pangai.

“I would expect an announcement in the next day or two on this.

“Tevita I am not sure he will be at Canterbury this season. I think they are looking at him for next season onwards.

“It might be that Tevita leaves Brisbane this season before August 1 and plays for someone else for the remainder of 2021 and then moves to Canterbury.

“But Canterbury are very confident that they have won the day with Pangai Jr.”
BULLDOGS CLOSING IN ON SACKED DRAGONS STAR

The Bulldogs are working with the NRL Integrity Unit in a bid to try and sign sacked Dragons prop Paul Vaughan.

Phil Rothfield revealed on NRL 360 that the issue is whether Vaughan would have to serve part or all of his eight week suspension for the infamous Covid breach party.

“I think Paul Vaughan will be there as well at the Bulldogs,” Rothfield said on NRL 360.

“It is a complicated one because they are talking with the integrity unit about if they sign him now does that work off the eight week suspension he owes.

“Or can they wait and sign him next year and will the suspension be gone by then. That’s the conversation they are having.”

“When the NRL first put it out they said wherever he ended up that is where the eight week suspension had to be served,” Paul Kent added.

“Which is such a deterent.”

“But the NRL won’t let the Bulldogs sign him for $20,000,” Rothfield said.

“It will have to be a realistic eight week contract.”

aqua_duck

Coach
That could be where Phil Gould coming on board could be a very astute signing. He may not get everything right in what he does, but he ouwld be unlikely to sign them. If he did, he'd recommend they be on bonsus, short term, contracts, with penalty provisions or easy termination clauses in them. I mean have a look what happened at Penrith when he cleaned out some players who, despite talent, were proving problematice off field - he got rid of them
I feel like most of their signings reek of short term desperation from Barrett to save his coaching career rather than it being part of any long term vision to build something.
When you try build your culture around guys like TPJ, Elliott, Hethrington, Dufty, Naden and Vaughan what could possibly go wrong?

dogslife

Coach
At a certain point you have to make choices on what's available. Let's not pretend we're a destination club at the moment, we don't have the luxury of picking and choosing all the great blokes that are off contract. We're at least at a point where some players will sign for us, no one wanted to come play for Dean Pay

I feel like most of their signings reek of short term desperation from Barrett to save his coaching career rather than it being part of any long term vision to build something.
When you try build your culture around guys like TPJ, Elliott, Hethrington, Dufty, Naden and Vaughan what could possibly go wrong?

Very true.

Latest posts