What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Vee

First Grade
Reported on 7 news tonight Ryles has knocked back illasox and signed as asst coach with Melbourne.

Last edited:
Is it true the Roosters have suspended Ryles?

Nope. Noting official but they more or less told him not to turn up till further notice is what the media have been saying. The reports are that when he signed with them last year, he promised he would see out his contract (which was for 3 years), so then when he then started looking at going to the Dragons it ticked off some of the powers that be. It brought up the ghosts of how Adam O'Brien left the club to go to the Knights after only 1 year, and was considered poor when compared to how Craig Fitzgibbon saw out his contract and then signed to take up the coaching job at the Sharks starting this season.

This stuff has been coming from New Ltd sources, so I cannot vouch for its veracity or what not.

Lucas

Juniors
No assistant coach should be forced to stick out their assistant coach contract when another club is offering a senior coach position to them.

No assistant coach should be forced to stick out their assistant coach contract when another club is offering a senior coach position to them.

Oh ok. By that logic then let's allow playrs then to break their contracts when they get a better offer :rolleyes: Sorry, but if you are an assistant and you want that option, get it included in your contract. Don't say you will stay the course for all 3 years when you sign it, and constantly tell your boss that during the first season, but then do a complete 180 the next year. It's that kind of attitude that leads us to the farcical situation we have in rugby league wiuth contracts (oh, and yes, clubs exploit is just as much too).

Lucas

Juniors
Oh ok. By that logic then let's allow playrs then to break their contracts when they get a better offer :rolleyes: Sorry, but if you are an assistant and you want that option, get it included in your contract. Don't say you will stay the course for all 3 years when you sign it, and constantly tell your boss that during the first season, but then do a complete 180 the next year. It's that kind of attitude that leads us to the farcical situation we have in rugby league wiuth contracts (oh, and yes, clubs exploit is just as much too).
Ummmm, they do.

Maximus

Coach

It's pretty scummy standing in the way of someone getting promoted. I'm not sure why you think it's the same as a player going for more money.

MugaB

Coach
Just depends on the club they are assisting... thats just my opinion... the riff don't seem to have an issue letting assistants go elsewhere for a NRL coaching gig, as there was only a limited amount of spots... we just lost 2 this year, to bulldogs and warriors.. no one complained about it, and they were all open about it and supported their venture off alone.. seems that the rosters have been upset by the ryles camp even just having a look over the fence, it was enough to toss out that traitor, im sure Melbourne are sweet now after they got their man, Ryles was never going to the dragons, as much as Ciraldo was never going to the tigers, as soon as Bellamy steps away, Ryles will run that ship, and thats a really well mantained one at that..
Dragons need a Flanagan, or Hassler, they cant have some rookie coach.
If i were the rosters i'd be happy for my assistants to get gigs elsewhere, it shows that the club is doing well with its systems

Just depends on the club they are assisting... thats just my opinion... the riff don't seem to have an issue letting assistants go elsewhere for a NRL coaching gig, as there was only a limited amount of spots... we just lost 2 this year, to bulldogs and warriors.. no one complained about it, and they were all open about it and supported their venture off alone.. seems that the rosters have been upset by the ryles camp even just having a look over the fence, it was enough to toss out that traitor, im sure Melbourne are sweet now after they got their man, Ryles was never going to the dragons, as much as Ciraldo was never going to the tigers, as soon as Bellamy steps away, Ryles will run that ship, and thats a really well mantained one at that..
Dragons need a Flanagan, or Hassler, they cant have some rookie coach.
If i were the rosters i'd be happy for my assistants to get gigs elsewhere, it shows that the club is doing well with its systems

See if you feel that way when you sign an assistant on a 3 year deal and they want to leave after 1 or at best 2. Justin Holbrook left when still under contracty (iirc) but with the club's blessing to go to the Gold Coast. Then we sign O'Brien to replace him. He was on a 3 year deal and after 1 year wanted out to go to the Knights. Begrugdingly he was released to go to the Knights. Then Ryles 2 years later.

Only assistant coach who has done it the right way is Fitzgibbon. He said he'd stay and finish his contract, which he did and then he went to the Sharks.

So its not quite the same at all.

MugaB

Coach
See if you feel that way when you sign an assistant on a 3 year deal and they want to leave after 1 or at best 2. Justin Holbrook left when still under contracty (iirc) but with the club's blessing to go to the Gold Coast. Then we sign O'Brien to replace him. He was on a 3 year deal and after 1 year wanted out to go to the Knights. Begrugdingly he was released to go to the Knights. Then Ryles 2 years later.

Only assistant coach who has done it the right way is Fitzgibbon. He said he'd stay and finish his contract, which he did and then he went to the Sharks.

No its not, i get the whole breaking the contract is really bad business, but these gigs aren't waiting around for those assistants, theres already NRL coaches without jobs waiting to snag another one.
Craig was probably the outliner due to sharks having no issue with him porting over to them after his contract was done, it all depends on the club tgey are going to aswell

Maximus

Coach

If you don't want to lose coaches, maybe don't hire highly regarded coaches as assistants.

Oh and if you guys decide you are going to force coaches to stay out contracts instead of taking a head coaching job, good luck getting any decent coaches in the future.

If you don't want to lose coaches, maybe don't hire highly regarded coaches as assistants.

Oh and if you guys decide you are going to force coaches to stay out contracts instead of taking a head coaching job, good luck getting any decent coaches in the future.

Were they "high profile coaches" when signed? Nope. They were assistant coaches. Only reason people considered they had profile is due to who they had worked with. If you doubt me, go and have a look at all the mentions about whom they'd worked under before being signed as a head Coach.

Additionally look at many sports, you can't go out in many of them an actively recruit assistant coaches who are under contract to become head coaches. Only one you can, as far as I am aware, is in the NFL, and that is because it is a league wide policy that has been embedded for decades.

Anyways, I'll leave it there as, this is going off topic I suspect, if we continue.

Maximus

Coach
Were they "high profile coaches" when signed? Nope. They were assistant coaches. Only reason people considered they had profile is due to who they had worked with. If you doubt me, go and have a look at all the mentions about whom they'd worked under before being signed as a head Coach.

Additionally look at many sports, you can't go out in many of them an actively recruit assistant coaches who are under contract to become head coaches. Only one you can, as far as I am aware, is in the NFL, and that is because it is a league wide policy that has been embedded for decades.

Anyways, I'll leave it there as, this is going off topic I suspect, if we continue.

You may notice I never wrote high profile.

Umm Mikel Arteta was an assistant coach at Man City when Arsenal signed him. He left mid season.

You may notice I never wrote high profile.

Umm Mikel Arteta was an assistant coach at Man City when Arsenal signed him. He left mid season.

Yes, and they had to pay Man City around 2 million pounds sterling in compensation. So you mention it why? It tends to reflect what I was saying.

Dogs Of War

Coach

Wrong. In the NFL it really is a follower the winner league. So assistant coaches become a hot commodity. They can interviewed and be employed for a better role such as a head coach. So you see teams which have been successful lose their assistant coaches hoping some of that magic rubs off on them. You cannot steal an assistant coach to be an assistant coach at another club.

The NFL has much better rules about approaching players and staff to sign elsewhere. But they don't have competition from other sports for their stars.

nick87

Coach
It's a pretty standard operation around world sports that teams aren't blocking assistants being hired to become HC's, in fact i don't recall a single time where a team has tried to hire an assistant as a HC and they've been blocked from doing so, love to know of an example of this happening?

Aside from being a really shitty thing to do, there is no point in it... you block an assistant from a massive career opportunity and a bigger pay day and what do you think that does to his work ethic and commitment to your organisation? You think he'll keep putting in the same level of effort? Think he'll care as much about that club?

No, he's been resentful and stop giving a shit, he'll play out his contracted period and f**k off as soon as he can for an organisation that actually gives a shit about him. It's a pretty silly thing to be upset about tbh

Keep digging that hole fellas. When it happens to your club repeatedly I'll bet you'll change your tune, especially if a player does it using the exact same justification principles you are going on about for assistants and why it is, in your opinion, "okay".