What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Loose Cannon

Bench
All for this to happen. Would be a fantastic swap deal.

Main issue would be Gagai definitely staying in the centres, but that might happen regardless (despite all the evidence which suggests it is suicide).

Apey

Staff member
Good deal for us. Randall is the Crossland of hookers. I worry about Braileys ability to stay on the field but I also worry about Randall being on the field as our first choice hooker. Get it done.

Jono078

Referee
Some stats for Marzhew last season. Played 17 games, including one where he played 4 minutes off the bench which pulls the numbers down a bit:

- 6th winger for metres per game with 152.1
- 3rd winger for post contact metres metres per game with 60.9
- 2nd to only James Tedesco for tackle busts per game at 6.9, 4th for total tackle busts with the rest of the top 10 all playing 4+ more games. 27 more than Latrell in the same amount of games, 37 more than To'o in 1 less game.

vs the Rabbitohs in round 14 he had 272 metres, 90 post contact metres, 15 tackle busts

Would be an exciting pickup but keep in mind there's a reason the Titans would be willing to let him go despite all of the above, for Chris Randall in return no less.
There may be a reason, but a fresh start could do him good too if the Titans aren't on the Marzhew train.

I mean the numbers dont lie there. I think his positives on the field far outweigh the negative.

I couldn't do another season with Tuala kick returns or Randall being in the 17 on gameday.

PhilGould

Bench
2 comments from the Titans forum that pretty much sum up Marzhew

"I know we need hooker cover but this would be up there with an all time bonehead move. Marzhew could be anything if he puts it all together consitently. Even with his limited game time last year he was still top 5 in tackle breaks. Give them Herbert and 2 packets of minties"

"Controversial but for me, it's a no brainer.

This pains me to say but I'm just gonna rip the bandaid off and say it - Marzhew is extremely overrated by the Titans fanbase. There is a reason Parra never debuted him, no club picked him up, and why he's still not a first choice winger here. His carries are great. His defensive decision making, positioning, execution, effort areas and communication are all issues and haven't improved after a long time. Errors under fatigue is an ongoing issue as well. Marzhew has been in NRL systems for 5 seasons - what suggests that he's ever going to get it together?"

Yosh

Coach
Well Randall has a very low ceiling and plays a position we have covered. We need a metres eater and Marzhew at least has a high ceiling. Let's get it done.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah but we're swapping him for Randall..

It's not like we're swapping them Dom Young for him.

We have cover for Brailey in Crossland, Mann and I'm sure Huth will get a call up this year if required.

Apey

Staff member
2 comments from the Titans forum that pretty much sum up Marzhew

"I know we need hooker cover but this would be up there with an all time bonehead move. Marzhew could be anything if he puts it all together consitently. Even with his limited game time last year he was still top 5 in tackle breaks. Give them Herbert and 2 packets of minties"

"Controversial but for me, it's a no brainer.

This pains me to say but I'm just gonna rip the bandaid off and say it - Marzhew is extremely overrated by the Titans fanbase. There is a reason Parra never debuted him, no club picked him up, and why he's still not a first choice winger here. His carries are great. His defensive decision making, positioning, execution, effort areas and communication are all issues and haven't improved after a long time. Errors under fatigue is an ongoing issue as well. Marzhew has been in NRL systems for 5 seasons - what suggests that he's ever going to get it together?"
Wonder how he compares to Tuala though. Tuala certainly doesn't offer much in yardage but is probably better defensively?

Old School

Juniors
Tuala, Best, Gagai, & Ponga could all be used alternatively as turnstiles, now that is a glowing recommendation of our coaching & recruitment!

Bdubs

Juniors
I have concerns with Marshew's effort areas as stated by some above. His meters are great, but thats only half the game. The other half, which is the more important side and the side we have serious issues is in defense and chasing back in defense.

As a straight swap with Randell, then it is worth the risk. We have seen what Randell offers, which isn't much. Marshew has a much higher upside if we can tap into it. Also it gives us more depth in outside backs.

Whoever we are going to use to play hooker, i hope that Buderus is with them the entire pre season working on what is required of hookers in first grade

Old dog

Juniors
So if Brailey goes down injured round 1 for say 10-12 weeks who plays hooker, Mann and Crossland are fill ins for short periods and believe Huth has gone to local side.
By al means let Randall go but get a replacement hooker first

Jono078

Referee
So if Brailey goes down injured round 1 for say 10-12 weeks who plays hooker, Mann and Crossland are fill ins for short periods and believe Huth has gone to local side.
By al means let Randall go but get a replacement hooker first
Would you still look for a hooker if Randall remains here?

If the answer is no then I honestly do not see what difference it makes. Crossland and Mann are capable to fill Randall’s void.

Also want to comment on Marzhew’s efforts.. I get what a few of you are saying but you also don’t put up the numbers he has without some kind of effort either.

Old dog

Juniors
Would you still look for a hooker if Randall remains here?

If the answer is no then I honestly do not see what difference it makes. Crossland and Mann are capable to fill Randall’s void.

Also want to comment on Marzhew’s efforts.. I get what a few of you are saying but you also don’t put up the numbers he has without some kind of effort either.
Yes, Randall is currently best back up but not to the mark needed, we seem to be in the habit of letting players go and leaving gaps in roster

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yes, Randall is currently best back up but not to the mark needed, we seem to be in the habit of letting players go and leaving gaps in roster
Tbh I think it’s a nett gain overall. Randall doesn’t do much else but tackle, and even then he’s not really a dominant defender, if we had Mann/Crossland as backups instead of Randall I actually think we’d benefit from a better running game and I don’t think we’d lose a whole lot in defence.

Latest posts