What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Juniors
Parr is trying to clean up messes made over the past couple of seasons in one off season. Can't blame him too much if he fails but he is definitely taking it in the right direction. If we get Miller and can keep all four of our spine fit for 2023, I reckon we should be in a shout for a top 8 finish.
It is far better than it was a week ago. It was looking positively scary how our season for 2023 might unfold. We will see if Klemmer was the disruption he has been rumoured to be when the Safs need to retain midfield dominance. Their new halfback will be sure to tell them.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Parr is trying to clean up messes made over the past couple of seasons in one off season. Can't blame him too much if he fails but he is definitely taking it in the right direction. If we get Miller and can keep all four of our spine fit for 2023, I reckon we should be in a shout for a top 8 finish.
When have we ever had all four of our spine fit for any decent length of time though?

I also think we need to be on the lookout for another backup hooker too. Randall has shown he doesn’t cut it unfortunately and I’d be pretty concerned if Brailey does his knee again.

mozza91

Coach
Should definitely take a look at Edwin Ipape.
He was great at the World Cup and is only 23. Could be a very good number 14 for us. Has a great running game so he and Brailey could form a pretty lethal rotation.

Jono078

Referee
Damn, Yosh, it’s like you forgot for a moment that AOB still our head coach 😝

Yosh

Coach
Damn, Yosh, it’s like you forgot for a moment that AOB still our head coach 😝
I believe he has in the form of Brian McDermott. I can't see AOB staying for more than 4 or 5 games into 2023.

PhilGould

Bench
“Mate, I would have loved to stay – I loved the place but that’s how footy works. Some things happen like this,” Klemmer said.

“I don’t think they wanted to extend me so I thought coming here was a big opportunity for me to come down.

“It’s different for me coming from Newcastle, a different approach, different coaching. It’s a breath of fresh air. Video, skills on the field, it’s serious.

“Obviously picking my family up again and moving down to Sydney is a bit tough and I thought it would be exciting. Being here the last week or so, it has been eye-opening and seeing how happy everyone is around here has been pretty good.”

Jono078

Referee
“It’s different for me coming from Newcastle, a different approach, different coaching. It’s a breath of fresh air. Video, skills on the field, it’s serious.

“Obviously picking my family up again and moving down to Sydney is a bit tough and I thought it would be exciting. Being here the last week or so, it has been eye-opening and seeing how happy everyone is around here has been pretty good.”
Ooft. Some damning comments there.

PhilGould

Bench
Same generic comments every player gives when they're being paraded around in their new colours for the first time, wouldn't read too much into it. Same interview he says he didn't want to leave so mustn't have been that bad.

Old dog

Juniors
Obvious a case of no extension so move on to greener ($$$$) pastures, if he had stayed 2023 might have been difficult to obtain another club

Knight Tales

Juniors
I am happy for Klem. Still sad he is gone. We are not in a place to dwell on it. A lot of factors at play as to why we cannot fill the FB spot. I can’t help but think the biggest one is reluctance from players to sign on for it in case KP fails at 6. Cos there is only outcome there. The new player gets shafted so KP can return to the 1. Add Pryce to the mix and that adds another roadblock to potential moves.

Burwood

Bench
I’m happy Klemmer is gone, but wish him well. Even when he was consistently running 150m+ a game, he was making very little impact and we were struggling to win. His money can have much more impact elsewhere.

PhilGould

Bench
TITANIC BID FOR KNIGHTS RAKE

Newcastle are again in discussions with a rival club about a potential player swap just a week after doing a deal with the Tigers.

Fresh from the Jackson Hastings-David Klemmer deal the Knights are now in talks with the Titans who are keen on securing back-up rake Chris Randall.

The Titans want to offer Randall a multi-year deal and see him as perfect cover for their new recruit Sam Verrills at dummy half.

Randall still has 12 months left on his deal at Newcastle. The Knights and Titans are in conversations about a potential player swap which could include giant winger Greg Marzhew joining Newcastle if the Knights let Randall go.

Marzhew is also off-contract at the end of next year and is unlikely to be given a multi-year extension at the Titans.

Randall provided excellent cover for the Knights this year after Jayden Brailey was sidelined for a large chunk of the year.

Brailey is an 80-minute player but the Knights also have a host of players in their squad who could relieve him including utilities Kurt Mann and Phoenix Crossland.

Marzhew and winger Dom Young would give the Knights two strong ball-carries on each of their flanks.

PhilGould

Bench
Marzhew is a ball of muscle and a very good yardage runner. Can't defend to save his life though.

We've got 3 young hookers that could be close to first grade, one is on a development contract so could get a run sometime later in the season. Mann or Crossland should be playing hooker full time in reserve grade in the meantime. In trouble if Brailey goes down again but same can be said with Randall here.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’d be happy with the Randall-Marzhew trade. Crossland & Mann can do the job at backup hooker and we wouldn’t exactly lose anything from what Randall offers anyway, in fact I actually think Crossland’s dummy half running is better and Mann is more dangerous in broken field play.

I didn’t watch much of him this year but Marzhew has a reputation of being a metre eating winger which is good. If he’s as bad in defence as some say then it’s not like we’re losing anything when compared to Tuala who can’t tackle and also doesn’t make many metres either. Also if the forwards do their job in the middle then our wingers won’t be put under as much pressure in D which is what tends to happen way too often.

PhilGould

Bench
Some stats for Marzhew last season. Played 17 games, including one where he played 4 minutes off the bench which pulls the numbers down a bit:

- 6th winger for metres per game with 152.1
- 3rd winger for post contact metres metres per game with 60.9
- 2nd to only James Tedesco for tackle busts per game at 6.9, 4th for total tackle busts with the rest of the top 10 all playing 4+ more games. 27 more than Latrell in the same amount of games, 37 more than To'o in 1 less game.

vs the Rabbitohs in round 14 he had 272 metres, 90 post contact metres, 15 tackle busts

Would be an exciting pickup but keep in mind there's a reason the Titans would be willing to let him go despite all of the above, for Chris Randall in return no less.