What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
add Hetherington and Elliot numbers to that and ......wow......just wow.
We seem to like buying the "cheap" version of players, but still paying them close to their contemporaries that are much better. It's like, maybe if we pay Adam Elliott like Cam Murray, he'll start playing like Cam Murray?

We pay blokes on what they might do for us, rather than what they've demonstrated they can do for us. In part that's because we're just not a fashionable club, too.

Apey

Staff member
KPP on close to $800k has not been anywhere near good value so far. Like him and hope we can re-sign him but that's elite back-rower money.
Of all the numbers mentioned I find this one the most difficult to believe is true. I guess logically its unlikely that just one of the figures mentioned is wrong, but it does really sound like nonsense for a 23 year old who has 60 games in England.

That being said, we shouldn't be surprised. Fans of other clubs act like we're paying Ponga $5M but 90% of our salary cap is going somewhere else and these are some fine wage thief candidates.

I will say, of the ones mentioned, Brailey is surprisingly the least of our concerns, even given his limitations.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Given players refuse to make salaries public, I give all of these kinds of videos and figures almost no credit. Not to say our cap isn't out of whack and some overpaid, but I put no stock into those numbers.

Apey

Staff member
Given players refuse to make salaries public, I give all of these kinds of videos and figures almost no credit. Not to say our cap isn't out of whack and some overpaid, but I put no stock into those numbers.
The sad reality is that given each club has to spend 95% of the 11.25M salary cap, there are going to be at least 5 players around the 700k+ mark. Ponga is obviously one of them. Best isn't yet(?) but will be next contract (with an increasing cap). DSaf, Hastings & Friz are the next candidates given their positions and/or experience. Any way you cut it, Hastings and DSaf are going to be on 700k+ each.

I do find the KPP money very hard to believe though as I said, especially considering we have Friz. 775k after 60 games in a second tier comp. Still, given his upside, he's still ahead of DSaf in the deserving stakes.

aqua_duck

Coach
From memory Elliott’s contract was something like $1.4 mil over 3 years or something along those lines which IMO is perfectly reasonable for a solid first grader with over 150 games under his belt. Hethrington has been a disaster as has the constant contract renewals for Brailey.
I mentioned in another thread the whole Brailey situation makes absolutely no sense, was initially signed to a 3 year deal from 2020, he subsequently tears his ACL after 2 games and misses the rest of the 2020 season, in 2021 we apparently started negotiating to renew him early in the year and was finalised later that year. How do you sign a bloke for 3 years then re-sign him for a further 3 years after only like 10 games?

From memory Elliott’s contract was something like $1.4 mil over 3 years or something along those lines which IMO is perfectly reasonable for a solid first grader with over 150 games under his belt. Hethrington has been a disaster as has the constant contract renewals for Brailey.
I mentioned in another thread the whole Brailey situation makes absolutely no sense, was initially signed to a 3 year deal from 2020, he subsequently tears his ACL after 2 games and misses the rest of the 2020 season, in 2021 we apparently started negotiating to renew him early in the year and was finalised later that year. How do you sign a bloke for 3 years then re-sign him for a further 3 years after only like 10 games?
yeh I thought it was weird at the time. Crazy business decision. It will be 100% the Knights style to continue to slam their heads into a wall with his contract moving forward.

Woody90

Juniors

We seem to like buying the "cheap" version of players, but still paying them close to their contemporaries that are much better. It's like, maybe if we pay Adam Elliott like Cam Murray, he'll start playing like Cam Murray?

We pay blokes on what they might do for us, rather than what they've demonstrated they can do for us. In part that's because we're just not a fashionable club, too.

Not sure how Elliott’s gotten onto the overpaid list as he’s only on about 460k per year which is completely reasonable for a starting lock. For the record I would replace him if we had the opportunity but his salary is hardly crazy given how much experience he had before joining.

DSaf and Hetherington we knew are horribly overpaid and I really hope we are trying to get rid of them, and it’s not just normal made up speculation. Brailey was probably with his salary prior to injuries but now obviously not.

I didn’t realise KPP was on that much money. Way too much for a bloke that was untried in the NRL. Shows how desperate we were for players in 2022. We were all talking upgrading his contract but no way knowing this info.

perverse

Referee
Because he's a good bloke mate, and we hitched our ride to him as a leader and captain very very early on. We then stuck our fingers in our ears and hoped it'll all sort itself out for a few years.

I swear we go all-in on players as a club way too often, well before they've earned that right - and there's rarely (or never) a backup plan.

Woody90

Juniors
Also who was responsible for these contacts? I don’t want to blame Parr as I feel like most were initiated before he arrived?

Knight Tales

Bench
O’Sullivan’s appointment could carry a lot more weight here than it has at past clubs where a high profile and successful coach resided. Gardner seems to moving for people who make his CEO duties a lot lighter when it comes to big decisions around recruitment and management. Given how he fumbled his first few years as sole decision maker, it is good to see him learning.
My prior references to him being Politis like have more to do with his business acumen. Not the game knowledge and cut throat approach Nick has in spades.

Rod

Bench
FWIW Toohey said the KPP figure for one isn't accurate.

Apey

Staff member
FWIW Toohey said the KPP figure for one isn't accurate.
To expand on that, he said that KPP is on "plenty" but also "he's not on near that this year".

My interpretation is that he will be on close to that next year, which is what the original report was about.

Latest posts