What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Elliott is so so far from the issue with the team, talk about getting in the weeds.

We need a 6,7,9, and Phoen the Peen to the bench.
you cannot afford a top 6 7 and 9 when you have too many Elliot's, Brailey, Dsaf's, Hetherington etc in the side- that's the way the cap works

Paying only 10% overs on your starting 17 and you'd already be over 1 million in the hole = a blue chip spine signing.

rookies are always typically on nothing for their first FG contract and then they get upgraded significantly.
and that is precisely my point- a rookie on less money is better than the Elliots of the roster. The Elliots of the roster are collectively cap killers

A rookie is better bang for buck and hopefully a closer emotive tie to the club = hopefully to stay for a bit less further down the track in his career

Can you explain what you think fantasy points are so we can understand your argument a bit better?

Better to ask the question - "can you tell me which coaching staff, recruitment officers, or any serious analyst in the game considers fantasy points ?"

Do you think for one moment that the roster manager of any team in the NRL looks at fantasy points?

Ummm how much of the cap should we pay this bloke ? Oh let me look at his fantasy points ? seriously ?

The answers - None - No - and No

Apey

Staff member
It's not the 2010s any more, the average salary for a top 30 player (using 100% of cap) is 388k this year. It depends how much Elliot is on really. 500k is pushing the upper limit of what I'd pay for him, sure. I still think he's a ways down the list of concerns though. Lock is an important position these days, he's probably on a bottom 8 lock wage.

Woody90

Juniors
It's not the 2010s any more, the average salary for a top 30 player (using 100% of cap) is 388k this year. It depends how much Elliot is on really. 500k is pushing the upper limit of what I'd pay for him, sure. I still think he's a ways down the list of concerns though. Lock is an important position these days, he's probably on a bottom 8 lock wage.

He’s on 466k.

Edited - may be front loaded or back ended - but apparently evens out at 466k.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Personally, when I want to know a player’s worth I compare them to a player who signed their last contract after a grand total of 4 NRL games and who plays a totally different position.

• Haha
Reactions: Rod
Personally, when I want to know a player’s worth I compare them to a player who signed their last contract after a grand total of 4 NRL games and who plays a totally different position.
that's easy - the 4 game rookie is worth more than he's being paid = cap friend.

The other ? collectively the reason why we lose = cap killer.

PhilGould

Bench
Better to ask the question - "can you tell me which coaching staff, recruitment officers, or any serious analyst in the game considers fantasy points ?"

Do you think for one moment that the roster manager of any team in the NRL looks at fantasy points?

Ummm how much of the cap should we pay this bloke ? Oh let me look at his fantasy points ? seriously ?

The answers - None - No - and No
Who are you arguing with? Where did I (or anyone) say any of those things? In my post I literally said fantasy stats without context aren't a good way to evaluate players, just like your hand-picked stats without context aren't.

This is genuinely like having a conversation with my 3-year old who loves fruit until you try to give him the same exact stuff in a smoothie and he throws a tantrum.

Just curious. How much do you think Lucas is on?
He was signed a while ago so hope he was signed on 200-250K which means the Knights are paying him 300-350K.

Either way given the average salary is 428K, he is good value.

If we had more players giving more return for the money - like Lucas, Crossland, Croker, Leo, Marz filling out the roster we'd have more money for top spine players.

Storm have been doing it for years.

Latest posts