What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Alex28

Coach
Maybe we are better off without Jonah. If he isn’t smart enough to realise he is going to waste a third of his career waiting for the Dally M winning halfback to not re-sign with the club past 2026 when he could be playing first grade, maybe he isn’t the smart halfback we need.

What terrible advice he is getting.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Success breeds success. I never said the Storm aren’t well run. They’re very well run. I just said it’s easier when things fall in your lap. Brisbane having a monopoly over the best juniors nursery in the country + being the biggest franchise in Australian sport + always polling in first in “which club would you like to play for if not the club you’re already at” surveys is a bigger competitive advantage than any other club has had, so that shows you how poorly that club is run. It’s weird that the Roosters have been more successful than them & are the ones who always get the big free agents and that’s only happened because the Broncos have fumbled the bag somewhat.

Penrith are very different. They were mired in mediocrity and actually did implement a long term plan and stuck with it. They combed through a shitload of teenagers to find kids like Cleary and Luai - Cleary being the son of a former great player is a happy coincidence, nothing was handed to him - and moulded them into the players they want. They had a philosophy about how the game should be played and how halves should be developed - watch Isaiya Katoa play and it’s uncanny how similar his kicking technique etc is to Cleary’s - and they stuck by it. They convinced Jarome Luai to wait his turn while Cleary learned his trade with a more experienced halves partner in James Maloney, all the while results were mediocre and the pressure to find a quick fix was massive.

They accomplished all this while being one of the least appealing clubs to free agents and no one thinking of them as a “big club” - even still, to this day, you had Spencer Leniu describing the Roosters as “the pinnacle of the NRL” after he just played for a three time defending premier the Roosters haven’t beaten in 5 years. It’s remarkable.

Penrith have inarguably put themselves on a level above everyone else. Would have thought accomplishing feats Melbourne hasn’t sniffed without cheating the salary cap would make this hard to argue with but I suppose not. I admire Penrith because they are what the Knights should aspire to be if we invest in the things we do have going for us. The path Melbourne and the Roosters have taken is not one which is available to us.

If you want to know what the Storm would look like in the NRL era without a fair amount of serendipity, look at the Sharks. Very comparably well-run clubs, very similar operations in a lot of ways.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Maybe we are better off without Jonah. If he isn’t smart enough to realise he is going to waste a third of his career waiting for the Dally M winning halfback to not re-sign with the club past 2026 when he could be playing first grade, maybe he isn’t the smart halfback we need.

What terrible advice he is getting.
We don’t know if he has decided that. Guys like Brent Read say what the clubs tell them to say. That’s how you get access. He’s reported Reece Walsh as having signed an extension multiple times.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
He could get a heap of TPA’s if he wanted to. The point is he didn’t, and helped to f**k our cap a little bit more than it already was.

Okay, so, here’s what I’m hearing.

When Kalyn Ponga posts an ad on his Instagram for an online phone game:
… it is, in fact, the Knights paying for this? They negotiated a contract which said “$1.4 million per season to play rugby league for the Knights, and also promote competitive match 3 online phone games and local car dealerships”?

When he gets to training, does AOB haul him into his office to scream at him for not seeming sincere enough when he was talking about how much he loves Call of Duty in an ad he saw the night before?

No? Well I’m suggesting it’s possible, just maybe, that he is in fact getting a bit of money on the side from third parties.

Apey

Staff member
Success breeds success. I never said the Storm aren’t well run. They’re very well run. I just said it’s easier when things fall in your lap. Brisbane having a monopoly over the best juniors nursery in the country + being the biggest franchise in Australian sport + always polling in first in “which club would you like to play for if not the club you’re already at” surveys is a bigger competitive advantage than any other club has had, so that shows you how poorly that club is run. It’s weird that the Roosters have been more successful than them & are the ones who always get the big free agents and that’s only happened because the Broncos have fumbled the bag somewhat.

Penrith are very different. They were mired in mediocrity and actually did implement a long term plan and stuck with it. They combed through a shitload of teenagers to find kids like Cleary and Luai - Cleary being the son of a former great player is a happy coincidence, nothing was handed to him - and moulded them into the players they want. They had a philosophy about how the game should be played and how halves should be developed - watch Isaiya Katoa play and it’s uncanny how similar his kicking technique etc is to Cleary’s - and they stuck by it. They convinced Jarome Luai to wait his turn while Cleary learned his trade with a more experienced halves partner in James Maloney, all the while results were mediocre and the pressure to find a quick fix was massive.

They accomplished all this while being one of the least appealing clubs to free agents and no one thinking of them as a “big club” - even still, to this day, you had Spencer Leniu describing the Roosters as “the pinnacle of the NRL” after he just played for a three time defending premier the Roosters haven’t beaten in 5 years. It’s remarkable.

Penrith have inarguably put themselves on a level above everyone else. Would have thought accomplishing feats Melbourne hasn’t sniffed without cheating the salary cap would make this hard to argue with but I suppose not. I admire Penrith because they are what the Knights should aspire to be if we invest in the things we do have going for us. The path Melbourne and the Roosters have taken is not one which is available to us.

If you want to know what the Storm would look like in the NRL era without a fair amount of serendipity, look at the Sharks. Very comparably well-run clubs, very similar operations in a lot of ways.
How are the Storm like the Sharks? They've had several coaches in the last 15 years that aren't in the same postcode as Bellamy, they don't make plodders look a million bucks, I wouldn't say they have anything resembling a long term culture of success by any metric.

Your argument seems to be if other teams had been "lucky" enough to have found Smith, Slater, Cronk, Munster, Paps etc then they'd be successful too. Well, yeah. But the argument doesn't extend to Cleary, Luai, Yeo for some reason. It's not like Storm sniped their blokes from other teams in their mid 20s.

Storm have been the benchmark of success due to their "systems" for almost 15 years now. No doubt Panthers currently are the most successful club but imo we don't know yet if this will result in long-term, consistent success beyond some generational players. You talk of the Storm all-time greats yet despite their losses, the Panthers have managed to keep a core of Cleary, Yeo, Edwards, To'o, Leota and until this year JFH & Luai. The first two in particular will go down as some of the best players ever to play the sport in their position.

Here's some "luck" - since 2020 Panthers have had the following players missing games from their 5 finals runs (none of them GFs) while their opposition has often been missing at least 1 star (Storm 21 Prelim lost 2 props in the first half, Latrell 21 GF, Nelson 2024 GF):

Leota - 2
Cleary, Luai (+ 23 GF injury) Edwards, JFH, Taylan May - 1

No team gets anywhere without a certain element of luck. Hell, the Panthers had the biggest rule change in the last 20 years come in in 2020 that completely changed the way the game was played, after failing to make the 8 in 2019 which just happens to coincide with the start of their run.

Knight Tales

Bench
Not at all, I just cant see how compared to the Storm the Knights are an attractive proposition for the young fella - and frankly the Knights organization only has itself to blame. Can't even muster a professional process/ press release for their marque signing. Not exactly a great look.

what? Players I've criticized and mentioned to let go ( long ago mind you) - Dsaf, Brailey, Hetherington, Elliot, Hastings. ( 16% of the roster ?) Cannot see KPP staying beyond next season if his reported salary is correct. - jettison these cap thieves and replace them with young players of a high ceiling potential ( Sully has started this already) and funnel the savings towards retention and most importantly - quality halves.

The rest offer value for the cap expenditure. Lucas is a favorite, Ponga is the arguably the best player of his generation and worth every penny, Best a beast. Gags and Friz invaluable mentors. Marz I rank up there with the best on his day and on a pie and a coke, along with Crossland and Croker are players you wins comps with by consistently exceeding their pay grade.
There has to be a balance though. And we have made the eight on four occasions in AOB’s five years here. As much as we criticise his style of play, stronger rosters have come up short of us.
So the selling of the club to players may not be as hard as you believe it is. Pezet would see any offer to leave the Storm as a massive gamble at only 21. It is not specific to it being us.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Well yeah there’s always luck involved. The greatest halfback of all time happening to be born in Cessnock + also having a very good brother who plays five-eighth + a generational crop of backline and forward players being born in the Hunter and Mid North Coast region all around the same time was like being kissed on the dick by fate. The Knights followed that up by systematically f**king up the pathways system (Brian Smith, as I understand it, is a huge culprit on this front, and should get way more hate than Wayne Bennett does from Knights fans). This is an example of poor management and a badly run club, which I believe is steadily being corrected, but it’s honestly harder to take a bad situation and fix it than it is to start from scratch.

I think the Sharks and Storm comparison is apt:
- Relatively weak local juniors catchments, so a reliance on sniping talented older teens from other systems or taking in rejects with untapped potential and turning them into first graders.
- Proper use of reserve grade as a genuine part of development pathways.
- Cheated the salary cap to chase premierships a bit over a decade ago and ended up basically getting away with it, having exactly one premiership from that era show for it.
- Innovators in dirty on-field tactics.

Yeah sure the Sharks have had less stability in the coaching ranks, but not in the football department. They have Craig Fitzgibbon now who has the second best win % of any active coach. I’d say his job is secure.

I agree they don’t have as much of a “culture of success” as Melbourne, but their lowest ladder finish in the last ten seasons is 9th, with four top 4 finishes and one premiership. There are literally only maybe 3 fanbases who wouldn’t bite your hand off if offered that as what would happen in the next ten years for their team.

They haven’t been doing it as long as Melbourne, but they didn’t have the benefit of entering the comp as the one expansion team in a season where three clubs were being removed - allowing the new club first dibs on all of the best players from those three clubs. You want to know why Melbourne won a comp straight away and the Titans and Dolphins haven’t replicated it? That’s why.

Latest posts