What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
Toohey reckons he's heard nothing about Matt Scott, but he wouldn't go near him given his age and injuries. He also reckons knights have heard nothing from souffs about sims, and that the Broncos offer is too low

Was Toohey a Kade Snowden fan and supportive of his signing at the time it happened does anyone remember?

slotmachine

First Grade
Good news. Didn't make much sense to go from Napa who would be 26 when he arrived to a 33 year old. Brown and Mooney just finished getting rid of the guys here for a superannuation deal. Probably his manager talking up his price.

Matt Scott would have the same immediate effect that Craig smith had when he joined our club.

Do you mean we'll get the spoon again?

Johns Magic

Referee
And how old will he be turning in 2018 when he will be at the Knights?

LOL.

Can you admit yet that Matt Scott is not turning 33 like you stated.

Can you admit yet that Matt Scott will not be 33 when he arrives like you stated.

"Oh well if I go a year into the future and then go to the end of the year maybe I can twist this so I look like I was right."

steven p white

Juniors
I think weighing all the risks associated with signing Matt Scott, the positives outweigh the negatives. As mentioned in a previous post I would be looking for the Ben Kennedy effect i.e someone who leads & sets an example with his actions, discipline & character. The last time we saw anything like that was when Danny Buderus retuned to the club, he may not have had the "c" next to his name but he set the example for for everyone to follow, that was the last season we had any success at all & have been lacking inspiration & leadership ever since. Look at Scotts efforts over the last 18 months playing busted, you would never have known it, as he has too much pride in his performance to give less than 100% week in week out as well as on the big stage in the finals & internationals. Playing & training with him, you could only hope some of it would rub off on the young guys who are leaderless at the moment. Just teaching them to play with energy & go forward hard ,scrapping for every meter would be a step in the right direction. He would give them the hard edge they need on the field & it wouldn't hurt that he brings no baggage off the field (scandals) with him. Hopefully our luck gotta change soon & this might be the start. We seriously need a work ethic & will to win instilled into these young blokes & lose the attitude of "maybe next week" .

slotmachine

First Grade
Can you admit yet that Matt Scott is not turning 33 like you stated.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I must be the only one who thinks Beau Scott was incredibly poor value. First year he was either injured or terrible, second year he had an OK season but probably didn't earn his pay cheque and the last year he quit and mailed it in.
And he was 4 years younger than what Matt Scott will be.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think Matt Scott and Beau Scott are different classes personally.

There is definitely a risk signing an older player, but the Sharks won the comp this year led by Gallen, Luke Lewis and Michael Ennis in their pack. They were not only great players but great leaders and they were 35, 33 and 32 respectively on Grand Final day.

slotmachine

First Grade
If they were talking about 500k instead of 750k it would be a lot more palatable, but that's the "Newcastle is a joke" tax at work I guess.

Glendale

Juniors
Agree with everything's that's been said and I can see both sides of the argument. However I do think the positives far outweigh the negatives. Having Scott here as the mentor to the Saifitis would be extremely beneficial.

Frederick

Staff member
Agree with everything's that's been said and I can see both sides of the argument. However I do think the positives far outweigh the negatives. Having Scott here as the mentor to the Saifitis would be extremely beneficial.
Yeah this is what I meant by the comparison to Craig smith. An elder statesman leading a younger pack.

Seems like his signing might be a certainty. Toohey said the knights are keeping their cards close to their chest regarding recruitment, but that the source up there is usually spot on

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I don't know how anyone can question us signing Matt Scott. He is a current Australian and Qld prop and any club will be chucking big money at him, he's earned that right by being an absolute gun.

Sure he's getting on in age but that is a pretty small downside compared to what he'd bring to the team

I think Matt Scott and Beau Scott are different classes personally.

There is definitely a risk signing an older player, but the Sharks won the comp this year led by Gallen, Luke Lewis and Michael Ennis in their pack. They were not only great players but great leaders and they were 35, 33 and 32 respectively on Grand Final day.

Don't forget Heighno, he was 34 at the time too.
Note for you guys, Mooney had something to do with all of their signings.
The fella knows what he is doing, have faith.

Knight76

Juniors
Don't forget Heighno, he was 34 at the time too.
Note for you guys, Mooney had something to do with all of their signings.
The fella knows what he is doing, have faith.

Yeah credit where it's due there. Brown is just the most public face of the team management wise.

Johns Magic

Referee
Barry Toohey article saying we are doing due diligence on Grevshmuhl.

Fensom potentially someone we could bring in immediately but doesn't sound like we're going for it at this stage.

I've seen Grevsmuhl play some really good games and in form he would be an asset.

There are rumours doing the rounds about some personal issues. Not sure how true they are?

Maybe good idea to start him on a one year deal and see how he goes? I haven't heard any other clubs linked to him?

Latest posts