What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Vision

First Grade
Absolutely. Totall agree with all this.

Excuses and rose coloured glasses are too often the order of the day with some fans re certain players.

Similar story with Pearce and the pressure he is always under when kicking.
Ok so if we move him to 5/8 how long will it take him to grow into that role ? A season at least would be fair? I have no doubt he'd become one of the best 5/8's in the game but how long until that happens

So we remove one of the best fullbacks in the game and add in an unproven rookie, Hoy hasnt exactly kicked the barn door off its hinges and the jury is out if he would become a good NRL player..

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't buy the opposition aiming their attack at him thing. That will happen with any decent playmaker and they keep producing, and he is already copping several head highs a game. The kids tough and would handle it.

As for his dangerous kick returns, I see that as a myth, he isn't dangerous on kick return. I can't recall a time when he has scooped up a grubber and jinked his way through the kick chasers and ran away to score. In fact his best attributes are his ball playing skills and his ability to step and jink around a defender to create space. Attributes suited to 5/8.

Cleaning up balls is a fullbacks job so presumable any other fullback worth playing in the position would be able to take up this slack.
Clearly his time at 5/8th last year was a real success......

Knight76

Juniors
Clearly his time at 5/8th last year was a real success......

Meh, a lot has changed since then. The was a different team dynamic, different coach. Media was all over him then as the messiah and I don't think that would happen this time around.

For mine it's a very good option. Who do you want partnering Pearce in the halves, someone they can form a good combination with, get along with, know each others games etc. Ready made combo right there.

Ponga already plays like a 5/8 anyway in the way he attacks, sometimes at second receiver, somethings first receiver opposite to where Pearce is. He is a dangerous ball runner up at the line and we have seen him plenty of times slice straight through the D for a try. OB wants a ball running 5/8 yeah? Tick.

But, not only can he bust open the line all by himself, he can set the players outside him up and has an uncanny knack of finding space when there shouldn't be any. Has a good cutout pass in him. All very strong half skills.

How we use him now, he can't be that traditional fullback role, the support runner, backing up half chances etc as he is more often in the line somewhere....like a half or 5/8.

We want to get him involved in the play as much as possible, so put him at 5/8, feed him the ball whenever he calls for it and let someone else run the ball back from kicks in to the teeth of the kick chase.

Knight Vision

First Grade
It would be hard having an assistant you know is a premiership
winning coach under you. Speculation seems to follow Flanno wherever he goes about biding his time till his suspension ends.
Only a weak leader that doubts his authority fears strong subordinates.

This was a good indicator to Nathan Browns approach to assistant coach appointments, people who wouldnt be a threat to his position.

Good, strong and ambitious assistant coaches is exactly what AOB should be looking for.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I think we aren’t using Ponga well in attack. He seems to be trying to model his game off Tedesco, hang around the ruck, push up waiting for a half break. Ponga’s natural game is so much more than that. Sure, hang around the ruck on the 1st 2 plays, but then he needs to move out wide and call for early ball to do his thing, create a hole or set up his outside men out wide. Tedesco can’t do this as well as Ponga.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I think we aren’t using Ponga well in attack. He seems to be trying to model his game off Tedesco, hang around the ruck, push up waiting for a half break. Ponga’s natural game is so much more than that. Sure, hang around the ruck on the 1st 2 plays, but then he needs to move out wide and call for early ball to do his thing, create a hole or set up his outside men out wide. Tedesco can’t do this as well as Ponga.
Couldn’t agree with this more.

I commented on this in the Warriors game thread. He was sniffing behind Mann a good majority of the game. The ruck is not the place we lay successful plays on. We are one dimensional up the guts.

Green had him playing 3 wide in his first game, and accommodating the lacklustre opposition, it worked fantastically.

I really think he is trying to help Pearce at first receiver, but it is detrimental to us scoring points. He tore the Tigers and Sharks apart standing wider.

aqua_duck

Coach
Meh, a lot has changed since then. The was a different team dynamic, different coach. Media was all over him then as the messiah and I don't think that would happen this time around.

For mine it's a very good option. Who do you want partnering Pearce in the halves, someone they can form a good combination with, get along with, know each others games etc. Ready made combo right there.

Ponga already plays like a 5/8 anyway in the way he attacks, sometimes at second receiver, somethings first receiver opposite to where Pearce is. He is a dangerous ball runner up at the line and we have seen him plenty of times slice straight through the D for a try. OB wants a ball running 5/8 yeah? Tick.

But, not only can he bust open the line all by himself, he can set the players outside him up and has an uncanny knack of finding space when there shouldn't be any. Has a good cutout pass in him. All very strong half skills.

How we use him now, he can't be that traditional fullback role, the support runner, backing up half chances etc as he is more often in the line somewhere....like a half or 5/8.

We want to get him involved in the play as much as possible, so put him at 5/8, feed him the ball whenever he calls for it and let someone else run the ball back from kicks in to the teeth of the kick chase.
I'm not sure OB wants a ball running 5/8th particularly but rather it's just what we have in the squad, the issue you have ignored is kicking game, we know for sure and certain Ponga has a below average kicking game and Pearce has a horrendous short kicking game, probably the worst I've ever seen from a top line halfback.
I think the fullback position is more versatile than what you're describing, youre thinking that the way James Tedesco plays the position is how every fullback needs to play which isn't the case, Clint Gutherson plays a very different style, as does RTS, as does Latrell, not every fullback needs to play like Tedesco.
With Ponga I don't necessarily want him involved as much as possible but rather involved at the right moments and in the right spots, even that being said I'd argue fullback is now a more crucial position than 5/8th given the way 5/8ths are now usually consigned to just playing down one side of the field

Joel-22

Juniors
would anyone be interested in Marshall on a short-term deal? He wouldn't have to do much. Blake Green for instance is no superstar half, he's just a first grade standard genuine half. Marshall is that and I feel he's less risky than Foran

SamSepi0l

Juniors
would anyone be interested in Marshall on a short-term deal? He wouldn't have to do much. Blake Green for instance is no superstar half, he's just a first grade standard genuine half. Marshall is that and I feel he's less risky than Foran
If we're not going to play Lino for his defence, we won't go anywhere near Turnstile Marshall.

Only way we'd get Marshall is on coin too low for him to accept. We'd need to bring him in with some sort of future after footy. I reckon Marshall would suit ESL.

Tony Morris

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/f960e538b7e6474bfe333985ce0ee9fb

Bailey Hodgson, the cousin of Canberra hooker Josh, has emerged as a target for the Newcastle Knights.

An England youth international, Hodgson, 17, is an outside back whose preferred position is fullback.

The younger Hodgson is signed to Castleford but has yet to make his Super League debut.

The Knights have already signed another talented young English player in 19-year-old strike centre Dominic Young who is signed to a three-year deal from 2021.

Often just happy reading through the posts but may have something to add on this lad. I have friends and family in the UK and reports are suggesting there's a bit of a battle going on to try and get this kid signed across here. Has had every superleague club after him since being 15/16 and now at least 4 clubs over here are wanting his signature. Pals say he jumped to first team training at just 16, his feet are incredible, lightening fast and is a great attacker of the line. Played Fullback for England above his years last year and smashed it with the tournaments MOTM. They tell me he's Josh's Nephew not his cousin, I think the report was amended to show this later.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Often just happy reading through the posts but may have something to add on this lad. I have friends and family in the UK and reports are suggesting there's a bit of a battle going on to try and get this kid signed across here. Has had every superleague club after him since being 15/16 and now at least 4 clubs over here are wanting his signature. Pals say he jumped to first team training at just 16, his feet are incredible, lightening fast and is a great attacker of the line. Played Fullback for England above his years last year and smashed it with the tournaments MOTM. They tell me he's Josh's Nephew not his cousin, I think the report was amended to show this later.
Fullback though?

Knight Tales

Juniors
The Superleague academies are producing gun talents at present.

Last edited:

ryana87

Juniors
Take with an entire truckload of salt

Random on Facebook says Norman stayed back after the game and met with AOB and other officials.

Would take him on a very low contract.

Frederick

Staff member
Take with an entire truckload of salt

Random on Facebook says Norman stayed back after the game and met with AOB and other officials.

Would take him on a very low contract.
Random on Facebook 99.99999% is a saints supporter