What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Apey

Staff member
Guess we're not really playing hardball any more as far as $$ is concerned then?

Jono078

Referee
Significantly more than the original offer. Does it sounds like we're saying if the Roosters offer you better then go ahead and take it?

Also wonder if they have back-up targets if they do pull the offer if he doesn't sign soon?

Jono078

Referee
Joey does a weekly show with Danica Mason on YouTube and he said he didn't know what the Knights were thinking and we just needed to get it done to keep him here... Great footy player but that's not how you manage a roster. This is not the Hagan era.

I want to keep Watson - but it's not at an all costs situation. 100 backing the club in this instance. Also telling that he hasn't signed with another club yet, so clearly we've assigned a fair value to him.

Spot On

Coach
Watson has added a pass to his game, is a genuine threat every time he runs, has been sound defensively and looks to be improving every week this season.

Managing a roster under the new rules and copying the style of play that is seeing the better teams murder their opposition most weeks requires a player like Watson.

I don't know if many people listen to much of what Johns says but he may have said something that makes a bit of sense this time.

PhilGould

Bench
Article in the DT says it's down to Knights or Roosters. Knights wanted a decision by Friday but still none has been made. Roosters offer is apparently $300k.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Connor Watson’s contract situation has dragged on after the Newcastle utility missed a club-imposed deadline on taking up their offer despite being offered a ‘competitive’ deal from the Knights.

The Knights wanted an answer from Watson before he took to the field for his 100th top-grade game when he plays Cronulla on Sunday. It is understood they wanted a decision by Friday.

Instead, they are still awaiting word from the 25-year-old, who indicated he needed more time before he locked in his future. Watson is weighing up an offer between staying at the Knights or rejoining his former club, the Roosters.

The Roosters have offered a deal worth about $300,000. Watson shares a close bond with ex-coach Trent Robinson, after playing 38 NRL games in two years at the Roosters before joining Newcastle in 2018.

The Knights have made it clear they want to retain Watson, according to coach Adam O’Brien.

“The one thing you can describe Connor Watson as is professional,” O’Brien said. “He is a very popular member of the team. We want to keep Connor and I think our offer reflects how much we value him. From what I understand it’s more than competitive with our rivals.

“I think it comes down to a decision from Connor himself on where he sees himself next year. But it’s more than competitive, our offer. I’d love for Connor to continue with us and hopefully be a member of any future success we have.”

Watson has featured in every Newcastle game this season. He has split his time between lock and starting off the bench.

O’Brien conceded he wanted it sorted soon.

“It’d be good to get done,” he said. “The team and Connor himself, and myself, are just focused on getting today right. It’s not consuming me too much.

“There’s always a process with these things and we’re going through it at the moment but Connor will make a decision, I would imagine, sooner rather than later.”

Zoidberg

First Grade
Article in the DT says it's down to Knights or Roosters. Knights wanted a decision by Friday but still none has been made. Roosters offer is apparently $300k.
Only 300k?
Maybe our offer is lower than we think
and we really did lowball him with our initial offer.

Yosh

Coach
300k??? Surely he will be getting a better offer here at the Knights. What is he waiting for?

If we get Watson for 3 years on 350k, isn't that a great deal for the club?

perverse

Referee
lol, if he wants to join the Roosters for 300k then he can go for all I care. If he leaves for that then he clearly doesn't particularly want to be here. He'll be playing off the bench for them, too... so I dunno what the fuss is about tbh. I can't imagine we've offered him less than that, and we shouldn't be forced to pay more than what he'd get elsewhere to stay,

PhilGould

Bench
The original 3 year deal he signed here was rumoured to be ~$500k but he got injured while negotiating his latest deal. Apparently signed a much smaller 1 year deal for this season.

Yosh

Coach
To be honest, I'm quite happy with Gagai's signing. Returning to redeem himself and we need the experience. Niu would have been great but I think we didn't get a bad deal with Gagai. If he stays fit that is.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
$300K for Watson seems really low, way less than most of us here were speculating. So is our offer less than this or around the same?

I’m glad these are the numbers we’re talking about rather than $400K-$500K

It also leads me to believe that Mann and Fitz haven’t been re-signed on much which is a positive.

Latest posts