What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
No TPAs. Not going to happen. Only 5 or 6 clubs can buy the best and stack the side with quality around them.

In the past we have paid our players massive overs as it's all we could do to keep them. That has put our cap in deep shit.

I'm all for Brown taking the money ball approach until the cap is balanced and we start getting access to TPA $$$$ like some clubs get. ( Christmas wish list).

If Williams comes cheap enough and Brown is confident he can do something with him then I'm all for it.

Whats Doing

Bench
I don't what it is but Canberra has been recruiting well over the last couple of years as it is a such a sh@thole of a place to live.

Spot On

Coach
Brown has to stick to his word and have Tapine penciled in on the reserves sheet now. I'll be disappointed if he caves on that one.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Why would a player at the top of their game or in their prime come to Newcastle if they didn't already have ties to the area?

Serious question.

I guess a combination of money and being from the country got BK here all those years ago. Hopefully we can do that again.

Yet to be proven but hopefully Hodkinson steps up to being 'a player at the top of their game' and turns out to be the buy we needed to settle our spine.

On Tapine going, I'm hoping that presents a clearer conversation to be had with Rochow fitting into the long term plans of the club and getting him locked down now.

Noname36

First Grade
Think we were better off upgrading Tapine's contract a bit and letting go of Tariq when he's off contract.

I have no doubt we had the money to keep Tapine if we wanted to. Brown just didn't want to offer him more than he's worth and I think that's a nice change given our appalling retention process over the past few years.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I have no doubt we had the money to keep Tapine if we wanted to. Brown just didn't want to offer him more than he's worth and I think that's a nice change given our appalling retention process over the past few years.
I agree but I really think Tapine will come back to bite us unfortunately.

I wouldn't match the Raiders offer but an upgrade to 400k a year based on potential I'd be happy with.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Now we're gonna have to throw some pretty decent coin at Tariq when he comes off contract because our backrow stocks are really thin. I like Tariq but based on what he showed last year, I'd probably invest more into Tapine tbh.

Noname36

First Grade
Now we're gonna have to throw some pretty decent coin at Tariq when he comes off contract because our backrow stocks are really thin. I like Tariq but based on what he showed last year, I'd probably invest more into Tapine tbh.

We don't have to throw anything at Tariq. If he's not happy to stay for what he's worth then I don't have any qualms in letting him walk either. Like you said, if he's not offering much no need to pay top money for him when a stock standard backrower could do the same job.

perverse

Referee
To be honest, I don't think Tariq will have clubs throwing cash at him. He hasn't really ever regained the form that he first illustrated in first grade. He's solid, but he's not "go all-in" awesome. He'll stay to keep playing with his brother I reckon, who has surpassed him for mine.

Tapine isnt anything special, am yet to see anythinf to indicate that he will be anything but an stock standard back rower.

harrywilliams

Juniors
The funny thing is he has the exact same mindset as Leilua. They both have talent and potential but they both look like they'd rather be in the crowd eating hot chips half the time. Tapine is often nowhere to be seen. In the NYC he was our go to player along with Sione and Mamo but in NSW cup and the NRL he has been pretty much non existent and I find it hilarious the Raiders are paying him 500,000 a year. I am sure he's going to be a good player but I think Sticky has blown his load a little too early this time.

perverse

Referee
Tapine isnt anything special, am yet to see anythinf to indicate that he will be anything but an stock standard back rower.

He's no Cory Paterson yet, that's for sure. Now there's a bloke I wish did kick on with us. Years 1 and 2 I thought we were grooming a white SBW that could catch bombs and kick goals.

Noname36

First Grade
To be honest, I don't think Tariq will have clubs throwing cash at him. He hasn't really ever regained the form that he first illustrated in first grade. He's solid, but he's not "go all-in" awesome. He'll stay to keep playing with his brother I reckon, who has surpassed him for mine.

I agree Korbs has overtaken Tariq. I remember when we signed Korbin people telling us he'd end up being the best of the brothers...I thought they were nuts but turned out to be true. Tariq's had a horror run with injury and suspensions. I haven't given up on him by any means and am very happy to have him but given the choice to keep one Korbin would be a no brainer for me.

slotmachine

First Grade
I wouldn't match the Raiders offer but an upgrade to 400k a year based on potential I'd be happy with.

Paying for potential when you don't have the luxury of tpas gets you a spoon worthy squad. You only have to look at us and the tigers.

Tariq hasn't been the same since he broke his leg twice. I think his ceiling is solid instead of destructive these days.

Last edited:

Latest posts