What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Bench
KP TPA being investigated by NRL. Expect more news to follow. Not much in it from the Chammas article. Don’t have a non paywall link. Sorry in advance.

Last edited:

Woosh

Head Moderator
Schuster has been a hot topic of conversation internally at the club since he was offered to the Knights by his agent Mario Tartak following his highly-publicised exit from the Sea Eagles.
Schuster walked away from a three-year, $2.4 million contract with Manly late last month after the player and club agreed to a mutual termination.

Tartak has been quietly shopping the 23-year-old to rivals since then, with St George-Illawarra rumoured to be one club who has expressed an interest.

For their part, the Knights have been weighing up the pros and cons of a potential offer, with Schuster's asking price believed to be around the $350,000 mark. Intriguingly, the Knights still have a spot left in their top 30 roster this season and have until June 30 to fill it.

There is no question Schuster, whose uncle John is a former All Black who had a cult-like following when he played for the Knights in the early '90s, is a prodigious talent.
At his best, he would no doubt provide the Knights with a huge point of difference in attack.

But the downside is the baggage he now carries with his overall work ethic both in games and at training often called into question when he was at Manly.

O'Brien's coaching philosophy is pretty simple.
Above all else, it's about effort, desire and resilience, three words that have rarely been associated with Schuster during his 50-game NRL career.

Ironically, the player likely to have the most to lose if the Knights do decide to go after Schuster is injured off-contract five-eighth Tyson Gamble, whose game is largely based around effort and enthusiasm.

Advisor under the spotlight

A number of former Knights employees who either resigned or were pushed out of the club could be forgiven if they had a quiet chuckle to themselves earlier this week when the Kalyn Ponga-third party contract drama exploded in the media with the spotlight firmly focused on the role controversial behind-the-scenes "advisor" Blake Cannavo has at the club.

Home away from home

Is pressure coming from the NRL for the Knights to forfeit a home game next season if they are to play in Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane?
As many as three NRL clubs who are giving up home games this weekend have publicly stated they won't be prepared to do so again next year, putting pressure on clubs like the Knights who have always played at Suncorp Stadium as an away game in Magic Round.

Housing the next generation

We told you weeks ago Wests Group are bank-rolling a much bigger development budget to improve the Knights junior pathways.
The club has already opened an academy in Muswellbrook and will do likewise at Wyong and on the mid-north coast.
As part of the big spend, Wests have also started construction on a new multi-bedroom complex at a cost of around $4 million that will house young pathways players who move to Newcastle from out of the area.
It's understood a block of land has been cleared for the build to begin in the near future.
Meanwhile, the Knights have signed teenage Kiwi winger Sosaia Latu on a four-year deal that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2028 season.
Latu starred for the Knights in this season's S G Ball competition.
The club is also on the verge of extending outstanding young front-row prospect Cody Hopwood to the end of 2027.

Premierships not a focus

The Knights are set to continue with a policy of playing younger players in higher grades with coach Adam O'Brien declaring development is more important than premierships in pathways competitions.
"We are going to continue to push our best young players up rather than leave them in their age groups to give them the best chance of becoming NRL players," he told us.

Apey

Staff member
Schuster for 350k? That's a tough one. Money-wise its low risk for someone of his talent. The problem is I think he will be a lazy bum for his entire career so I reckon whatever money you're giving him has to be money you're 99% likely to waste.

Yosh

Coach
He is a left sided player who isn't really a 5/8th. Could be fun watching him and KPP link up. Marzhew, Best and Schuster is a chunky left backline.

Woody90

Juniors
Id prefer to keep Gamble than sign Schuster. If he doesn’t have much more interest I wouldn’t be against giving him a contract for this year only given we have a spot left to see how he trains. He’s always been lazy but losing that massive contract might be a wake up.

perverse

Referee
No thanks to Schuster. I don't think we're the club to turn him around, if it can be done at all.

Pleased to read about the pathways spending though. More of that please.

Rod

Bench
I would say no if it means losing Gamble.

If you can squeeze him in for this year somehow then perhaps it's worth a look. I almost wouldn't write off any player these days unless they've been to jail etc. And raw talent is probably something we could do with more of.

Knight Tales

Bench
If it works he could turn us into contenders. The difference his best and worst is staggering. However his ability is undeniable. And if we get him fit anything is possible. His hands are magic.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If it was a train & trial deal I’d consider it because there’s basically no risk but $350K is solid week-in/week-out first grader money and he definitely ain’t that at this point so no thanks.

Apparently Gamble out for 10 rounds. Feel terrible for the lad. Really like him and I hope he gets another contract here to show his worth.
he should have taken his offer and not rolled the dice.

I'd offer him a contract but not for any additional money. He's great for depth.

Old dog

Bench
Signing Schuster means letting someone go, Gamble or Pryce, I’d keep Gamble love his attitude, Schuster is a “show me the money type” without putting in, Pryce has potential with a little bit of something.
Bottom line keep Gamble and chose between Shuster and Pryce which is a win/lose or lose/win situation