What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

slotmachine

First Grade
which top 4 team would Elliot be a starter in?

Don't get your weird fascination with Eliott tbh.

If we look at the top 4 sides he's not as good as Yeo and Radley but they would be on double the $$$.

He's not much worse than Cam McInnes or Trent Loiero though.

The Broncs have the best lock in the game and they have the same number of wins as we do.

Last edited:

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Pat Carrigan and Cam Murray are in the bottom 8.
Sam McIntyre/the ghost of Jason Taumalolo, Tom Eisenhuth etc are locks that are in the 8.
This point largely proves nothing at all.

Yosh

Coach
If Elliot is on 500k, then he is the least of our worries. That's not too bad value in the cap.

Ponga must be psyed we are finally putting a good roster around him. I hope the two English stay long term. Still gutted Dom left.

Still praying we can snag Katoa.

Woody90

Juniors
there were 3 or 4 teams after Elliot (saw an interview with him ) , Canberra and Newcastle weren't the only bidders.

Not sure where 460K has come from. I remember he's on coin around 550K

Even at 460K he's average at best. Players like Lucas on a pie and a coke is what makes a roster competitive.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/a...ws-story/3e21bea9e5ee166282fd8765e237eddd?amp

1.4 mill over 3 years is 466k.

He’s not my favourite player and would replace him if we had an unlimited cap but you can’t expect him to play like Yeo or Carrigan on 466k.

Woody90

Juniors
Don't get your weird fascination with Eliott tbh.

If we look at the top 4 sides he's not as good as Yeo and Radley but they would be on double the $$$.

He's not much worse than Cam McInnes or Trent Loiero though.

The Broncs have the best lock in the game and they have the same number of wins as we do.

He seems to think that somehow it was possible for us to have a top 4 player in every position.

When you have a 1.4million dollar fullback you need to take lower cost options in other areas.

Even Penrith and Storm don’t have top players in every single position across the field. The only club that I say goes close to top 4 in every position is the Roosters and even their recruitment lately has been a bit wtf.

Elliott wouldn’t be anyone’s first choice if we had an unlimited salary cap, but we don’t. If we have to cop an Elliott to keep Ponga that’s an easy one to me.

Last edited:
He seems to think that somehow it was possible for us to have a top 4 player in every position.
top 8 in most positions at a minimum pass mark for the roster.

I'll use Lucas as a perfect example of what the roster should ( and will ) look like after O'Sullivan has had a dig. - More young fellas developing, on the up, playing above their pay grade, and far less Elliot type players

Players on Elliot coin need to be performing at a minimum to their pay grade ( for the roster to be successful they need to be performing above the pay grade )

I stand by the comments Elliot is a typical Knights player, playing below what he is on. He's bottom 8 in his position on a consistent basis.

Knight Tales

Bench
I am looking forward to the next 18 months regardless of the cap issues into next season. If it means we cop another year of this for longer term gains. The club ultimately has to decide if O’Brien is the right man beyond next season. Cos of O’Sullivan has a war chest to recruit with then the coaching appeal of this place becomes perhaps it’s highest since our inception.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
which top 4 team would Elliot be a starter in?
I think that’s a bit of a weird measuring stick, if you want to make the argument that we need a better starting middle to contend with the top teams I could probably go with that argument but as mentioned he’s on about $460k a year (contracts typically aren’t divided totally equally in terms of salary so he might be on a little more next year but the entirety of his deal averages out $460k a year).
For what it’s worth he was the starting 13 for a raiders team that went to AAMI park and beat the storm week 1 of the finals in 2022 and he was the starting 13 for us last year when we finished 5th.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
top 8 in most positions at a minimum pass mark for the roster.

I'll use Lucas as a perfect example of what the roster should ( and will ) look like after O'Sullivan has had a dig. - More young fellas developing, on the up, playing above their pay grade, and far less Elliot type players

Players on Elliot coin need to be performing at a minimum to their pay grade ( for the roster to be successful they need to be performing above the pay grade )

I stand by the comments Elliot is a typical Knights player, playing below what he is on. He's bottom 8 in his position on a consistent basis.
Weird obsession with Elliot.
Every team has players who aren't the best in their position to fill a squad. It's called a salary cap.
Lucas is incredible value for money and obviously teams really value those guys but realistically teams aren't flooded with that luxury. They are lucky to have a few of them in their 17. Be realistic
Even the successful teams have plenty of guys like Elliot with similar coin and similar playing ability. Like I said it's a salary cap ffs.

I think that’s a bit of a weird measuring stick
on the contrary - that is the measuring stick. How many players in the roster playing above their pay grade, performing in the top % of their position is precisely the measuring stick and aim of a successful roster.

For a sneak glimpse into Elliot compare his last weekends stats to his opposing number - which club got the better value ?

Weird obsession with Elliot.
Every team has players who aren't the best in their position to fill a squad. It's called a salary cap.
Lucas is incredible value for money and obviously teams really value those guys but realistically teams aren't flooded with that luxury. They are lucky to have a few of them in their 17. Be realistic
Even the successful teams have plenty of guys like Elliot with similar coin and similar playing ability. Like I said it's a salary cap ffs.

If he is on average coin for his position he is playing BELOW average, bottom 8 in his position. The stats dont lie.

That's what's wrong with the roster, I expect he wont be re-signed.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
lol . bottom 8 of locks ( players in his position ) not the team 😀
You said which top 4 team could he be in. Don't move the posts. That type of analsyis is useless for the reasons I gave.

As for in his position, I think he is value. He is on pretty low money for a veteran and is middle of the pack at worst.

Knight Tales

Bench
I think that’s a bit of a weird measuring stick, if you want to make the argument that we need a better starting middle to contend with the top teams I could probably go with that argument but as mentioned he’s on about $460k a year (contracts typically aren’t divided totally equally in terms of salary so he might be on a little more next year but the entirety of his deal averages out $460k a year).
For what it’s worth he was the starting 13 for a raiders team that went to AAMI park and beat the storm week 1 of the finals in 2022 and he was the starting 13 for us last year when we finished 5th.
In other words not a bottom eight level lock as the claim in here. He can also cover backrow and hooker. Which is why him staying as a bench forward as he ages is a good investment. Not on the money his on now though.

Latest posts