What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Apey

Staff member
Are you really going to hold a few lean years of his playing career against him even well after his retirement? Blair also played 51 tests for New Zealand which is second all time only behind Ruben Wiki.
Blair has always had a positive reputation in terms of professionalism and work ethic, was also a mentor to the young Polynesian boys during his years at the warriors.
A few lean years is very generous, I'd say over half his career. I doubt Tigers, Broncos or Warriors fans have much good to say about him. Absolutely made a playing career off of playing in peak (cap-cheating) Storm years.

I hope he's much better off the field than he was on the field.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Adam Blair was terrific at Brisbane and pretty good at the Warriors. It’s only really at Wests where he played bad. Something he has in common with most of the players who ever played there.

I understand hating him for how grubby he was, one of the great cheap shot merchants, but he definitely wasn’t bad.

PhilGould

Bench
Am I forgetting someone? Hiring one ex-Storm player from over a decade ago = getting the Melbourne crew together?

Seems like a weird thing to get upset about in general. If he's doing a good job in a similar role at the Warriors currently then that's far more relevant than how good he was on the field back in the day or what jersey he was wearing. He undeniably had a better career than Dobson who he's replacing, but plenty succeed in off-field/coaching/developing roles despite having far less or no experience playing NRL.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
I’m of the school of thought that the most naturally gifted players make awful coaches tbh, so I’m not too bothered about how good Adam’s career actually was.

Burwood

Bench
Haven’t read the article as it’s behind a paywall, but is Blair’s signing an indication that the club are go to have more of a focus on NZ players and pathways?

Would have to imagine it would be good to have someone of his calibre and background to help players and families feel more at home in Newcastle.

Knight Tales

Bench
Am I forgetting someone? Hiring one ex-Storm player from over a decade ago = getting the Melbourne crew together?

Seems like a weird thing to get upset about in general. If he's doing a good job in a similar role at the Warriors currently then that's far more relevant than how good he was on the field back in the day or what jersey he was wearing. He undeniably had a better career than Dobson who he's replacing, but plenty succeed in off-field/coaching/developing roles despite having far less or no experience playing NRL.
I think you are taking a post and reading way too much into it. By old crew I mean O’Sullivan, Blair and AOB. It was an observation mate. No one is saying it is a bad idea. If anything quite the opposite.

Haven’t read the article as it’s behind a paywall, but is Blair’s signing an indication that the club are go to have more of a focus on NZ players and pathways?

Would have to imagine it would be good to have someone of his calibre and background to help players and families feel more at home in Newcastle.
Yeah this is what I got out of it. Hopefully that's the case. Some more Pacific Islanders too would be nice!

Rod

Bench
I’m of the school of thought that the most naturally gifted players make awful coaches tbh, so I’m not too bothered about how good Adam’s career actually was.
I always thought this about Joey. First of all his temperament (which he's fully admitted isn't suited to coaching) but the other thing is you simply can't coach a lot of what made him special.