What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

perverse

Referee
Good stuff re: Jacob Gagai. Has some wraps, like his brother. I think Dane is going to keep getting better and better, too.

Frederick

Staff member
Mason's manager busy on contract
By BRETT KEEBLE

Oct. 17, 2012, 11:03 p.m.
EVERGREEN international Willie Mason remains unsigned for next season, but his manager is confident of finalising a new two-year deal with the Knights sooner rather than later.
After more than a year in the sporting wilderness, when he struggled to settle at English Super League club Hull Kingston Rovers or French rugby union club Toulon, Mason was a revelation at the Knights this year and was rewarded with Wayne Bennett's coach's award.
Mason's manager, Sam Ayoub, told the Newcastle Herald that he and the Knights had still not completed formalities on a new contract for the 2004 Churchill Medallist, but indicated it was only a matter of time.
"We're still sorting through a couple of little things, but we were before I left," said Ayoub, who returned on Tuesday from an overseas trip.
"I'll get back onto it when I get back into the office, but there was no issue overall."
Meanwhile, English Super League club Wakefield Trinity Wildcats are believed to have firmed as favourites to sign former NSW prop Justin Poore, who had been targeted by the Knights.
The 27-year-old is weighing up offers of two-year deals from Wakefield and Newcastle.
● Knights centre Dane Gagai will be joined in Newcastle by his 17-year-old brother Jacob, who is on the verge of signing a three-year deal with the club according to the Mackay Daily Mercury.
A five-eighth for Souths Mackay under 18s and a Brisbane Broncos scholarship player, Jacob will live with Dane and Knights lock Alex McKinnon, and train with the club's National Youth Cup (under-20s) squad when pre-season training starts.
"I'm really excited about it. Having Dane there will be a big bonus," Jacob told the Mercury.
LINK

Byron Knight

Juniors
I thought we had already re-signed Roberts? Anyway, no Poore either.

The Newcastle Knights have re-signed promising playmakers Tyrone Roberts and Adrian Davis.

Chris Haddad, who manages both players, told the Newcastle Herald that Roberts had agreed to a new two-year deal today, while Davis has been retained for another season.
Roberts has played in 25 NRL games, including 18 this year after skipper Kurt Gidley needed shoulder surgery.
Davis is yet to make his top-grade debut.
Another Haddad client, former Parramatta prop Justin Poore, has knocked back a one-year offer from Newcastle to join Wakefield in Super League.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/408318/knights-re-sign-tyrone-roberts-and-adrian-davis/?cs=306

RHCP

Bench
So we still maybe 2 props short? Where we gonna get em from?
Sims and Vaivai are both promising. Whether they are ready for first grade is another question all together.

Neville might get pushed up with the overflow of backrowers we have.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well that was Poores golden chance to resurrect not only his FG reputation but possibly his rep career too. Going off to the ESL at 27 for 2 years will send him backwards imo.

I certainly hope this means that Nev will get moved to the front row. I dont think it would be smart to promote Sims or Vaivai straight into FG without giving them some time in NSWCup first

I see at as a big reflection of where Poore is at career wise. The fella clearly does not back himself to go one better. He just pocketed over a million dollars from Parra so money was not the issue IMO. His loss.

I hope we are in the game for Tamou or Scott as of Nov 1. Matt Scott is the more likely of the two to leave. NQ will bust a nut keeping Tamou and JT as they have plenty of young talent in the forwards. IMO the best forward pack in the NRL by plenty.

I have a gut feeling we will make a play for Thurston as Tinkler will want to make a big statement that he is not backing down despite speculation regarding his empire. Heskey is proof positive of that.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I'm not unhappy we missed out. He can't cut it in the NRL. Hit the jackpot at Parra and good for him. We need better up front. A lot better.

Yosh

Coach
I'd personally take Tamou obviously but Scott would have to be my favorite Queenslander, or the one that I hate the least...

Imagine having JT on the books... We'd look a thousand fold better. However, we are prone to injuries as a club so I'd hate to risk everything on one player.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Rochow will step up big time next year I reckon. He made a good fist of it in his debut year and will kick on.

I couldn't agree more mate. Rochow really hit the ground running this year. When players start off in FG, the inexperience usually shows with silly plays, pushed passes and handling errors. This wasn't the case for Rochow.

He looks like a real player of the future. It would not suprise me at all, if in a few years he was playing rep footy.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Rep footy? Probably a bit of a stretch if we're talking anything more than a Country jumper mate

The kid has ticker and composure and will make a reliable FGer but I dont see anything in his game just yet to suggest anything more.

Id be happy for the young fella to prove me wrong though

RHCP

Bench
Rochow has had a good start to his career but I honestly can't make a call on where he'll end up on such a small sample space.

I think Rochow needs to add another 5kg of lean muscle mass. He looks kinda small to me.. Could just be the TV playing tricks on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.