What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
No, our halves and Norman are the least of our problems. Norman is a decent defender and our attack is pretty good when we hold the ball.

Let's not forget Norman went from being our sole play maker to sharing the role with Moses without an off season to build the combination, along with playing with 3 different fullbacks. They have plenty of improvement in them.

Additionally Norman appears to be a pretty popular member of our team - do we really want to stuff up the dynamics of our playing group!! Just ask the dogs !!

I think our attack was quite poor for most of the season considering we had the likes of Gutherson, French, Radradra, Jennings and Norman. We always looked lost and disjointed in front of the opposition goal line apart from the times we played the Broncos and consequently rarely blew teams off the park. I hope it improves next season.

Has he ever had an injury or drama free season?

Can't blame a guy for getting injured. Comes down to luck.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think our attack was quite poor for most of the season considering we had the likes of Gutherson, French, Radradra, Jennings and Norman. We always looked lost and disjointed in front of the opposition goal line apart from the times we played the Broncos and consequently rarely blew teams off the park. I hope it improves next season.

I agree at times it hasn't looked the best but got to factor in Moses/Norman has only played half a season together and we have used 3 fullbacks. And before Moses came we had a few different half spine combos too. It's hard to build combinations that many changes.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just on the Moylan Norman hypothetical, I wouldn't swap them purely based on defence. We've already got one iffy defender in the halves, but Norman has improved leaps and bounds in this regard.

Moylan is a deadset turnstile

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just on the Moylan Norman hypothetical, I wouldn't swap them purely based on defence. We've already got one iffy defender in the halves, but Norman has improved leaps and bounds in this regard.

Moylan is a deadset turnstile
And he hates contact, he doesn't like getting whacked. At least both our halves are willing to take the ball to the line.

Djay

Juniors
Norman wasn't at his best this year by any means but you'll find before his injury he was carving up, since he came back he hasn't been the same, I think you'll find he was never 100%, yes he does owe us but to discuss the fact about having another half come in is laughable.

His been injured and it's clearly hampered him he was still strapped up on Saturday night, I think an off season with him and Moses will do wonders for everyone involved.

Our halves are gonna be our halves for years and will only get better, you could almost say Moses has become a solid defender for a half and Norman is very good for a half and has size, they don't mind contact and they like running the ball a good off season and no injuries with a constant fullback in Gutherson and we will be looking good.

Still think we should look at Lichaa too, once the shackles came off you can see what he can do and he can defend and play 80.

I've heard about the Paulo rumours aswell, I think Canberra need to offload someone seeing as they signed Gubb and you'll probably find Paulo isn't to happy, would take him back in a heart beat then our forward pack would be awesome.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
In the lower grades Pauli and Tanginoa showed enormous promise. Both had solid starts to their NRL career but I felt that one just did not have the desire whilst the other was too short and a bit of too much weights not enough speed work.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I mostly agree, but I think its too much to say he was our biggest disappointment. And I think that ultimately Moses might become the better player. But Norman is still a class above most, not in the elite Thurston/Cronk category but only a rung below and our halves will only be better for the experience of this finals series and a solid off season together.

I reckon the thing thag prevented us this year, and recent years, from scoring loads of points was lack of combinations. A lack of middle options to hold the defence from sliding is a close second, teams know we have to shift the ball to score.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
In the lower grades Pauli and Tanginoa showed enormous promise. Both had solid starts to their NRL career but I felt that one just did not have the desire whilst the other was too short and a bit of too much weights not enough speed work.

Anecdotally, I think Kelepi was one of the fastest straight line runners we had in the forwards.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Still think we should look at Lichaa too, once the shackles came off you can see what he can do and he can defend and play 80.

Yeah I think he would be a good pick, probably better then the options we have for next.

Reckon he hasn't signed for anyone due to his asking price.

eel01s

Bench
Definitely need to work on our attack in the 20m zone. Too often it was one our running, only to try a cross field kick of shift to the wing on the last. Moses does provide options, and I think King will too.

Just need a full off season together and hopefully we will be more potent. Although without Semi we may struggle.

On Auva'a, does anyone else think he deserves to be a starting centre with Jennings? He really impressed me in the second half of the season, and boy does he run straight and hard.

Definitely need to work on our attack in the 20m zone. Too often it was one our running, only to try a cross field kick of shift to the wing on the last. Moses does provide options, and I think King will too.

Just need a full off season together and hopefully we will be more potent. Although without Semi we may struggle.

On Auva'a, does anyone else think he deserves to be a starting centre with Jennings? He really impressed me in the second half of the season, and boy does he run straight and hard.
I've sometimes wondered if he could go even further in than centre. He seems to be built solid enough and I'd imagine he'd be hard to stop running angles at the opposition try line. I don't know what his stamina is like though.

Noise

Coach
I've sometimes wondered if he could go even further in than centre. He seems to be built solid enough and I'd imagine he'd be hard to stop running angles at the opposition try line. I don't know what his stamina is like though.

Would probably get gassed earlier and he would have less room playing left or right 2nd row so would look less effective. Plus I strongly doubt he would be better than Mau (even though he didn't have a great year) , Edwards and Tep so there would be no room for him.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I'd wait and see how Auva'a does in the off-season. He'll probably be training as a winger first and a centre second in the up-coming months, so hopefully with an entire off-season dedicated to catching bombs he can gain confidence and start taking them in proper games.

Would probably get gassed earlier and he would have less room playing left or right 2nd row so would look less effective. Plus I strongly doubt he would be better than Mau (even though he didn't have a great year) , Edwards and Tep so there would be no room for him.
Well sure, you use more energy then you run out faster. But there are people his size playing in the forwards. If you believe the Eels site stats then he is 186cm and 100kg, almost identical to Scott at 185cm, 100kg.

Noise

Coach
Well sure, you use more energy then you run out faster. But there are people his size playing in the forwards. If you believe the Eels site stats then he is 186cm and 100kg, almost identical to Scott at 185cm, 100kg.

I'm not saying he's not big enough. I'm saying that he won't have the workrate of Mau, Edwards and Tep in both attack and defence. And if he is not as good as those guys why would we move him into their position?

I'm not saying he's not big enough. I'm saying that he won't have the workrate of Mau, Edwards and Tep in both attack and defence. And if he is not as good as those guys why would we move him into their position?
But how do you know he wouldn't or couldn't have the workrate of those guys? Atm he's probably just doing what BA has told him to do. And why couldn't he be as good or better than those guys (Moeroa excepted as he's a lot bigger)? And Scott probably only has one more year.

Bandwagon

Staff member
We will still need a big body on the wing for kick returns, Arrvarrr just needs to learn the position better and to read the kick better.

Latest posts