What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
Yes but if history has shown us anything over the last 10 yrs in particular, I won't be counting my chickens just yet with any of these juniors till they actually make a proper go of it in the NRL.

The hype around Parra juniors has generally been a massive let down. Not since Hayne has there been any junior that any of us would term a standout superstar. A few decent plodders here and there like Mannah and Alvaro, but not much else.

So I'll be keeping my powder dry before I go off on this next batch coming through. Yes this maybe a very pessimistic approach as a fan, but it is what it is. The club has made me like this. They have broken me.

84 Baby

Referee
Yes but if history has shown us anything over the last 10 yrs in particular, I won't be counting my chickens just yet with any of these juniors till they actually make a proper go of it in the NRL.

The hype around Parra juniors has generally been a massive let down. Not since Hayne has there been any junior that any of us would term a standout superstar. A few decent plodders here and there like Mannah and Alvaro, but not much else.

So I'll be keeping my powder dry before I go off on this next batch coming through. Yes this maybe a very pessimistic approach as a fan, but it is what it is. The club has made me like this. They have broken me.
I've made this argument in other sports, but I reckon the sheer volume of junior numbers we have doesn't lend itself to uncovering superstars. NYC withstanding, we have consistently pumped out competition winning teams in junior comps. This leads to having champion teams of good team players, e.g. Mannah but the individual players aren't put under enough competitive stress playing in "crap" teams against better squads e.g. Latrell Mitchell (I don't actually know his junior pedigree so it's a guess) that they improve individually to be competitive against not just a better squad, but also to the point where opposition game plans that focus on neutralising the individual aren't effective. That's what puts them in good stead to become superstars.

But I'm certain that if we pumped out looser junior sides with the occasional Hayne that you would whinge about that too

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon you just get lucky sometimes and good players come through.
There been plenty of average guys coming into side. None of real class.

But these guys are decent

Terepo,Alvaro,Jnr, Tepai

Jnr and Tepai can still play origin if improve a little.

A club our size should be unearthing 1-2 juniors a year. And Id expect every 3yrs an origin class player. That should be the norm and expectations.

This season alone other teams unearthed plenty of stars. Harder for our guys who come into a losing team and had little game time but some signs are there that we have some solid juniors ready to break into the team and make a difference.

Glenneel

Bench
Non Parra juniors
Xerri - Sharks - 18yo - Center
Blore - Panthers - 18y0 - Back row - Lock
Leniu - Panthers - 18yo - Middle
Metcalf - Manly - 19yo - Half
Toa - Knights - 18yo - Outside back
Crossland - Knights.. 18yo Maybe. Hot and cold - Half
Lamb - Roosters 20yo - Half
Butcher - Roosters 18yo - Back row - Lock
Curran Roosters - 18yo - Back row - Lock

Parra Juniors
Brown - Parra - 18yo - Half - 5/8
S. Utoikamanu - Parra - 18yo - Middle
Schneider - Parra - 18yo - Hooker
Dunster - Parra - 19yo - Outside back
Parry - Parra - 19yo - Outside back
F. Utoikamanu - 19yo - Back row
Kaufusi - Parra - 19yo - Middle
Salesi - Parra - 20yo - Back row - Middle
Sam Huges - Parra - 17yo - Lock - Middle
Many thx RLF.
Unfortunately most too young for NRL yet. Don't we have any 20yo players coming thru good enough or was Keppie the only one and Parra did nothing to secure him?
What about Michael Tupou, not good enough?
I mean the amount of time and money we spend developing these players and they become 20 and just disappear. With a bit more intensive training and being more mature might be all they need to be a very good player. Why stick with a player for 4-5 years if there is no hope of advancement once they turn 20?

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Many thx RLF.
Unfortunately most too young for NRL yet. Don't we have any 20yo players coming thru good enough or was Keppie the only one and Parra did nothing to secure him?
I mean the amount of time and money we spend developing these players and they become 20 and just disappear. With a bit more intensive training and being more mature might be all they need to be a very good player. Why stick with a player for 4-5 years if there is no hope of advancement once they turn 20?

Most aren't too young for first grade. I think the only ones who probably won't have a chance at playing first grade next year are: Schneider, F Utoikamanu, and Hughes. The rest will have an opportunity if they're top 30.

We offered Kep a development deal, manly offered him a top 30 deal. Why do you assume that just because you offer a player a contract they'll sign it? And if you don't sign them it means you didn't offer anything?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Many thx RLF.

Considering most of those kids (6 out of the 9) mentioned except Schneider (injured) F Utoikamanu (injured I think) and Hughes (assuming not ready yet) have already played NSW cup this year, there is a fair chance they could play NRL within the next 12-18 months (kaufusi already has).

Additionally Salmon (19) and Mahoney (20) have already debuted and most likely close to top 17 next year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Well you do need 20-25 under 20 players to field a side and not all are going to be NRL players.

If we (and other clubs) only focused on players likely to play NRL, the 20’s might as well be a 7’s tournament (and even that wouId be tough!!) as there won’t be enough players to fill sides!

Many thx RLF.

At the end of the day, Its just a matter of opinion.
As for the 20yo i guess that is why Parra are taking back there Isp team to allow 20yo to continue to develop within the club and allowing them the extra year or 2.
Regarding Keppie. His a big unit and a decent player, But only 2 years ago he couldnt get a starting spot in our SG Ball side. I'm not sure if he is a 1st grader just yet. Very similar biuls to Lane who we not long purchased.
As for Toupou - Very explosive player. But very lazy as well. His lateral movement is pretty ordinary defensively. But who knows what he is like in a year or 2,
But i have no doubt in my mind we have 5-6 Nrl players coming through and i honestly believe we have 2 superstars coming through. Just my opinion and the opinion of others not only at our club.

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I've made this argument in other sports, but I reckon the sheer volume of junior numbers we have doesn't lend itself to uncovering superstars. NYC withstanding, we have consistently pumped out competition winning teams in junior comps. This leads to having champion teams of good team players, e.g. Mannah but the individual players aren't put under enough competitive stress playing in "crap" teams against better squads e.g. Latrell Mitchell (I don't actually know his junior pedigree so it's a guess) that they improve individually to be competitive against not just a better squad, but also to the point where opposition game plans that focus on neutralising the individual aren't effective. That's what puts them in good stead to become superstars.

But I'm certain that if we pumped out looser junior sides with the occasional Hayne that you would whinge about that too

Also we didn't have a a head coach in long enough to implement a plan for juniors to first grade and see it through. Each head coach would have a different line of thinking as to what they want in a junior, as this changed every 2 seasons what we wanted coming through the system changed.

Considering most of those kids (6 out of the 9) mentioned except Schneider (injured) F Utoikamanu (injured I think) and Hughes (assuming not ready yet) have already played NSW cup this year, there is a fair chance they could play NRL within the next 12-18 months (kaufusi already has).

Additionally Salmon (19) and Mahoney (20) have already debuted and most likely close to top 17 next year.

As far as i know. F Utoikamanu is ready to go and expect a big year from him. Wouldn't surprise me at all if given the opportunity in 1st grade. He is that good. The best back rower in the club hands down. But coming off an injury will take a little time. But he is back to full training.
Regarding Schneider from talking to one of our trainers - He is back to full training and killing it. Again coming back from an injury will take time but wouldn't surprise me either if he is there abouts at some stage next year or the following.

There is no doubt i get excited about the juniors we have coming through but its hard at times to contain myself with exceptional talent like Brown, Schneider, F. Utoikamanu. S Utoikamanu.
You talk to anyone at any level at any club and i guarantee these are the names known and mentioned bye some of the most respected footy brains in our game.

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Yeah Filia has been injured since the 18's origin. He had to have neck surgery and unfortunately I believe there's been complications post surgery that has prevented doctors from clearing him to play. Very unfortunate as he has a lot of talent, was playing 20’s when he was only 17.

If Schneider puts in the work, and he will, there's a very good chance that he plays a few ISP games next year. Hughes played 1 game of 20's this year and was decent. Another 17 year old that played 20's was David Hollis, if people are concerned about height in our forward pack moving forward if these 2 continue through to first grade they'll go a long way to alleviating that.

84 Baby

Referee
This season and for the foreseeable future there are 480 NRL players per year, who's playing lifespans are 10-15 years roughly.
I'm not sure on junior squad numbers, but even at a bare 17 players that's an additional 200-300 odd coming of age each year. And as you said they may not get an opportunity for another 5 years. Even if the NRL attrition rate was sub 10 years, it's refill rate is probably at worse every 2 and a half years. The numbers are simply against juniors. Add to that the available rookie spots within the top 30 (so not the actual development contracts) would be very minimal because for example David Gower is a safer option in a season than an Oregon Kaufusi. And that's not just our club, that's every club. You'd assume top 8 mainstays like the Roosters & Sharks to have more room for rookies, but they've each side a Morris FFS

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Many thx RLF.
We had three players graduate from our 2017 NYC grand final side and two of them (Leleisiuao and Stone) were poached from other clubs. There was also Mahoney, who started 2018 in Flegg, and he was poached from Canterbury’s SG Ball side a couple of years ago.

The Roosters also signed Dean Matterson out of that team but he might only have been on a part-time contract with Wyong, to help keep his brother’s price down. In which case I don’t consider him a proper NYC graduate.

How many 20 year olds will graduate out of this year’s Flegg side? So far we know of Keppie (top 30 at Manly). Tupou, Dresler and Faingaa might be others, plus there’s a few players still eligible for Flegg next year who could find themselves on full time contracts.

Bolgeel

Juniors

I agree with you Ram, I too am broken and it hurts. I guess I’m just too optimistic in the hope that we do something great in my lifetime..finger, toes, legs and arms crossed lol

hindy111

Post Whore
At the end of the day, Its just a matter of opinion.
As for the 20yo i guess that is why Parra are taking back there Isp team to allow 20yo to continue to develop within the club and allowing them the extra year or 2.
Regarding Keppie. His a big unit and a decent player, But only 2 years ago he couldnt get a starting spot in our SG Ball side. I'm not sure if he is a 1st grader just yet. Very similar biuls to Lane who we not long purchased.
As for Toupou - Very explosive player. But very lazy as well. His lateral movement is pretty ordinary defensively. But who knows what he is like in a year or 2,
But i have no doubt in my mind we have 5-6 Nrl players coming through and i honestly believe we have 2 superstars coming through. Just my opinion and the opinion of others not only at our club.

Who are the 2 superstars?