What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
I actually think it has legs. Surely we dont go into 2019 with Kaysa and Mahoney as only hooker options. Kaysa is always injured and Mahoney could still be a bust.

TheRam

Coach
We do know the first year was heavily subsidised by Manly.

He would've been on overs for sure but when he left us he was coming back into form. He was worth about $500k. But that was in 2015. Three years later he surely would've been on the slowdown. What price leadership though? We'll never know.

We do know. By his own admission he showed none and would piss off straight after training. In fact I would argue that that is displaying very poor leadership, when one of the most senior recruits of the past decade is brought to the club and he can't be F'ed to hang around and build proper relations with the club and players that can really only develop when someone invests more of themselves then just the bare minimum of training and game day duties. What sort of leadership and direction from a big name player is that (especially for the younger members of the squad)?

No like I said I would argue that he was a terrible influence overall. He definitely was no Petro Civoniceva who was brought for the exact same reason to the Panthers and was a brilliant leader for the entire squad or even James Graham. Now they are the type of leaders you bring to a club in desperate need of leadership. Not a bloke that after retirement goes on a podcast and swearing like a sailor drags his former club and team mate down the gutter where he already is to join him.

That has always been his personality trait and BA should have known better. Terrible leadership from BA for ever letting it happen in the first place. When it comes to personalities BA seems to have no f**ken clue. It's just flip a coin stuff.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You don’t need to be social to be a leader. There’s a leadership group and they each bring different strengths. But any leader will tell you they need to keep some distance from the followers.

84 Baby

Referee
Case in point, this merkin supposedly a good leader but also a giant merkin

bb8005c8b1f623cac0218cf1c615e8b0

TheRam

Coach
He was the icing on the cake that Parra desperately needed. At the time, a hooker that won a better share of the ball (when scrums meant something) usually gave their team a distinct advantage. The Eels lost some major games before we had Edge in the team because we struggled to win possession in the scrums against teams with a better rake. A bonus was his leadership which he had honed at the Dragons before heading to Parra.

A truer statement has never been spoken in regards to this. We could of won at least 2 earlier GF's if we has a better ball winner that's for sure.

lingard

Coach
Interesting topic Ivor.
I think The Mayor might come out on top but Edge and Price would be very close seconds . Higgs was pretty good as well.

I saw Thornett play at Cumberland Oval, but was a bit young to appreciate what sort of captain he was. He certainly had a huge effect on their winning percentages when he played, though.

lingard

Coach
I would say the criticism that he is a slow learner (which you have just introduced) is arguably more valid than the previous criticisms which suggested he was a crazy, cooky, weird mutherf**ker trying to introduce training regimes from Satan himself.

Could be both, though.