What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

parra pete

Referee
Have a story about Dick Thornett who was the captain. We were playing Tigers at Cumberland Oval and we had scored three tries to nil (worth 3 points then) and was awarded a penalty. The black winger (who we bought to kick goals but had yet to be successful with about 5 kicks for goal) walked over to place the ball. Thornett went over and angrily snatched the ball off him and 40 metres out and about 15 metres in drop kicked the goal and the fans went mad. Needless to say we were beaten 12-11 as Keith Barnes kicked 6 goals that day. Such is the history of Parra in the 60s.

Sorry Glenn....I can't ever remember Dick Thornett captaining Parramatta in the sixties..Ken, yes,Dick no. Parramatta had a good record against Balmain in the sixties..I followed the team FANATICALLY in that era. I can still 'see' match incidents in my 'recall section" of the brain. Keith Barnes landed 6 goals for the Tigers from 8 shots.(The game was at the SCG in 1964) ..Parra scored two tries - one by Dick Thornett, the other by Bobby Bugden, but Brian Hambly could only land one goal from 4 attempts, and Dick Wilson and Billy Rayner were sent off)....Arch Brown was signed as a goal kicking winger in 1965...Not being a smart arse..just trying to correct an error. Dick kicked TWO field goals against Balmain in a Tuesday night game at Redfern in 1967..and the Eels won 11-6, with Keith kicking 3 goals for the Tigers. Dick kicked a field goal in Parra;s 16-11 LOSS to the Tigers at Cumberland....but the Tigers scored 4 tries to one (scored by Ivor Lingard)..Archie Brown kicked 3 from 3...George Rubener kicked 2 from 5 for Balmain..