What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
Sorry Glenn....I can't ever remember Dick Thornett captaining Parramatta in the sixties..Ken, yes,Dick no. Parramatta had a good record against Balmain in the sixties..I followed the team FANATICALLY in that era. I can still 'see' match incidents in my 'recall section" of the brain. Keith Barnes landed 6 goals for the Tigers from 8 shots.(The game was at the SCG in 1964) ..Parra scored two tries - one by Dick Thornett, the other by Bobby Bugden, but Brian Hambly could only land one goal from 4 attempts, and Dick Wilson and Billy Rayner were sent off)....Arch Brown was signed as a goal kicking winger in 1965...Not being a smart arse..just trying to correct an error. Dick kicked TWO field goals against Balmain in a Tuesday night game at Redfern in 1967..and the Eels won 11-6, with Keith kicking 3 goals for the Tigers. Dick kicked a field goal in Parra;s 16-11 LOSS to the Tigers at Cumberland....but the Tigers scored 4 tries to one (scored by Ivor Lingard)..Archie Brown kicked 3 from 3...George Rubener kicked 2 from 5 for Balmain..

Here you go @parra pete , the 3 games you mentioned.

upload_2018-11-16_7-45-59.png

upload_2018-11-16_7-46-18.png

upload_2018-11-16_7-46-58.png

Glenneel

Bench
Sorry Glenn....I can't ever remember Dick Thornett captaining Parramatta in the sixties..Ken, yes,Dick no. Parramatta had a good record against Balmain in the sixties..I followed the team FANATICALLY in that era. I can still 'see' match incidents in my 'recall section" of the brain. Keith Barnes landed 6 goals for the Tigers from 8 shots.(The game was at the SCG in 1964) ..Parra scored two tries - one by Dick Thornett, the other by Bobby Bugden, but Brian Hambly could only land one goal from 4 attempts, and Dick Wilson and Billy Rayner were sent off)....Arch Brown was signed as a goal kicking winger in 1965...Not being a smart arse..just trying to correct an error. Dick kicked TWO field goals against Balmain in a Tuesday night game at Redfern in 1967..and the Eels won 11-6, with Keith kicking 3 goals for the Tigers. Dick kicked a field goal in Parra;s 16-11 LOSS to the Tigers at Cumberland....but the Tigers scored 4 tries to one (scored by Ivor Lingard)..Archie Brown kicked 3 from 3...George Rubener kicked 2 from 5 for Balmain..
Now it was a long time ago but I'm positive it was Balmain and Dick was captain as Ken wasn't playing but it was definitely at Cumberland. I might be wrong with the final score but we lost and the other team didn't score a try and I'm positive we scored 3 tries. And Dick kicked the goal from right in front of my viewing position, and its not classed as a field goal but penalty goal!

Glenneel

Bench
Extra glad we didn't sign Hayne with these new allegations over his head. A distracted Hayne would be worse than a injured Hayne imo.

emjaycee

Coach
Now it was a long time ago but I'm positive it was Balmain and Dick was captain as Ken wasn't playing but it was definitely at Cumberland. I might be wrong with the final score but we lost and the other team didn't score a try and I'm positive we scored 3 tries. And Dick kicked the goal from right in front of my viewing position, and its not classed as a field goal but penalty goal!
Between 1960 and 1973 we did not keep the Tigers tryless at Cumberland.

upload_2018-11-16_10-11-15.png

Source: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/...0LS0xMTEtMTk2MC0tLS0tMjAtLS0tLS0tLS0xOTczLQ==

Happy MEel

First Grade
he'd been cleared of those before last year
Not the civil suit. In saying that, If these allegations are proven then I don’t want the merkin anywhere near our club.

We’ll still need someone of similar ability to join the club if we want to even compete for spots 10-8.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Not the civil suit. In saying that, If these allegations are proven then I don’t want the merkin anywhere near our club.

We’ll still need someone of similar ability to join the club if we want to even compete for spots 10-8.
a civil suit wouldn't be anything compared to actually being charged and facing the possibility of being sent to the big house and sharing a cell with Bubba

emjaycee

Coach
How come the crowd numbers vary wildly?
Dunno, could be lots of reasons. The same as how they can vary so much these days.
Weather probably played a part as would of our position on the ladder (and the Tigers position).
The years we got better crowds seem to be the years we made the semi's or came close however not sure if this is causal or not, or even vice versa.