What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

I presume though that if the Warriors offered him a Top 30 spot in 2019 and we kept him on a development contract in 2019, that we're restricting his ability to play in the NRL (as developmemr playersa cant be picked) and contract or not, that would be considered a restraint of trade.

Wow you sound like you’ve studied law at the school of Perry Freakn Mason

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I presume though that if the Warriors offered him a Top 30 spot in 2019 and we kept him on a development contract in 2019, that we're restricting his ability to play in the NRL (as developmemr playersa cant be picked) and contract or not, that would be considered a restraint of trade.
If we are paying him it's not a restraint of trade.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Wouldn’t that be the same as a club offering more money to anyone, regardless of whether they are playing NRL or not? The law doesn’t give a shit about the NRL.

Happy MEel

First Grade
One thing in our favour is that we can offer a MASSIVE f**kEN UPGRADE on 2020, and maybe even something for next year as well. The Warriors can't offer that unless we agree to release him.
Agreed. I’d still be trying to move Taka, Smith or French to find a spot for him in the top 30 next year as our backup half. I guess the post June 30 availability for development players is an option but it wouldn’t hurt to keep our potential long term half happy.

Chipmunk

Coach
If we are paying him it's not a restraint of trade.

Paying him is irrelevant. We're restricting his ability to play in the NRL when he has the ability to do so somewhere else.

It's not about subjective issues like not selecting him. His ineligible because of his contract. That's the restraint.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Klemmer has two years on his contract and Newcastle could not sign Klemmer but eventually they did. Mate, if a player wants to go, he’s gone. Contracts mean shit
It’s a bit different having an unhappy marquee player and leader on massive coin compared to a rookie who is yet to play NRL and is costing us f**k all at the club.

I've been amused no end with all the forum experts arguing which one of Moses or Norman should go to the Warriors when all along this is the guy they have targeted. Finally its out. Blame Cayless for this. It's also the reason I believe there was no "squad" spot for Hayne. He's signed til 2020 but Parra will need to upgrade him. He's the real deal this is no news to Parra. Expect them to fight for him

Happy MEel

First Grade
Paying him is irrelevant. We're restricting his ability to play in the NRL when he has the ability to do so somewhere else.

It's not about subjective issues like not selecting him. His ineligible because of his contract. That's the restraint.
It is absolutely relevant. Do you understand the ability to play NRL is not a legal matter?

Klemmer has two years on his contract and Newcastle could not sign Klemmer but eventually they did. Mate, if a player wants to go, he’s gone. Contracts mean shit

Klemmer had 4 years still with the Dogs.
I agree contracts mean sh#t.

Browns parents moved over here this year so using the homesick card would be hard.
Fantastic kid.
He loves his heritage so eventually at some stage 1000% he will return to NZ. Whether that is next year or in 3 years if given the opportunity he would go.
You can only hope that in some of these young players minds they are greatful and thankful for the opportunities provided by there club and they remain loyal.
I would like to think Dylan Brown would be loyal to Parramatta but who knows.!

Chipmunk

Coach
It is absolutely relevant. Do you understand the ability to play NRL is not a legal matter?

NRL playing deals are still under Australian law just a Contract of Employment.

A Development Contract in the NRL restricts someone's ability to play in the NRL. Contracts that restrict someones ability to employment opions like playing in the NRL is essentially a restraint of trade.

Of course, we could negate all of this by upgrading him to the Top 30.