What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
Sorry I didn’t know you were the high and mighty here where I had to answer too. My bad.

Well you don't have to answer.

But it doesn't exactly lend any weight to your point of view if you can't answer a simple question, does it? I was genuinely interested in a discussion, but you seem more interested in dismissing other opinions.

How about a story instead? A bit of a demonstration.

When I was young and first came into grade cricket, well before I realised I was just an average cricketer and started angling for rig-based selection, I struggled against inswing. Basically looking back it was a function of not really having an awareness of where my off stump was, so if a guy started to swing the ball back at me I would play a half-hearted poke and either get bowled/lbw or nick off.

At the club, we had an ex-Sydney first grader, left arm fast bowler who swung the ball back at right handers pretty much at will. This guy has a career bowling average of f**king 9 in Canberra. My skipper got him to bowl at me every single training session. He got me out at will and gave me a fair few bruises to boot.

We never really said much, apart from the typical aggro fast bowler sledging. Good guy, I mean, but he was competitive and he definitely trained how he played. What he would do was sledge the shit out of me when he got me out, which was often. He’d hoop one back into the stumps or find both edges of the bat probably two out of every ten balls. The he’d come down the pitch and sledge me for playing that way.

He was more of a tormentor than a mentor, but I learned more from facing him than anyone else. Because he was so good compared to me, he could just hammer away at my weakness, and I had to learn how to defend that. Not only that, but wrapped up in his sledging were bits of advice. “That’s a f**king dumb shot, why do you wanna hit every single ball” when you get out nicking a short length ball….well really, strip that back and it’s actually saying “leave that shit alone.”

I learned from him, but he was never a mentor.

Now, it’s a different sport, and obviously not the elite level, but you don’t reckon Mahoney is going to have an opposed session against Issac Luke and learn from him in the same way? You don’t reckon he’ll watch Luke draw defenders in, or how he chooses when to run, or how quickly he gets the ball to the halves, or whatever, and learn from that? You don't think playing and training alongside him will teach Mahoney or Schneider a single thing? It's an established concept; young players learn from the more experienced ones. Mahoney could definitely stand to learn to stop throwing forward passes. He has the wrong name to be able to get away with it, for starters.

You do not have to be a mentor for younger players to benefit and learn from your experience. We have a need at hooker, which is our weakest position, and Issac Luke is a good player with a wealth of experience. Do you seriously think Reed Mahoney would learn nothing from him? It isn't enough to sign him just for that, but he is definitely far better than what we have and his experience is a bonus.

So again, I'll ask you for the sake of discussion. Why do you seem to believe that a player must be a mentor to teach someone something? And what metric do you use to establish that our older players have not taught the younger ones anything? Because that's hard to quantify, as I said earlier, so I'd like to learn from you if you have a way of doing it that I've missed.

Or can you, perhaps, acknowledge that you made a sweeping statement without actually considering what it might be missing? There's nothing wrong with realising there might be more to the story than you originally considered and there is nothing wrong with discussing your point of view.

Bazal

Post Whore
He is high risk and low reward.Reeks of BA getting desperate. Flushing 350k.

Kaysa has three try assists in his entire career. He has also spent as much or more time injured than Luke has.

Good luck trying to convince anyone Kaysa is a better option than Luke. I don't even think Kaysa's mum would back you on it.

hindy111

Post Whore

But it doesn't exactly lend any weight to your point of view if you can't answer a simple question, does it? I was genuinely interested in a discussion, but you seem more interested in dismissing other opinions.

When I was young and first came into grade cricket, well before I realised I was just an average cricketer and started angling for rig-based selection, I struggled against inswing. Basically looking back it was a function of not really having an awareness of where my off stump was, so if a guy started to swing the ball back at me I would play a half-hearted poke and either get bowled/lbw or nick off.

At the club, we had an ex-Sydney first grader, left arm fast bowler who swung the ball back at right handers pretty much at will. This guy has a career bowling average of f**king 9 in Canberra. My skipper got him to bowl at me every single training session. He got me out at will and gave me a fair few bruises to boot.

We never really said much, apart from the typical aggro fast bowler sledging. Good guy, I mean, but he was competitive and he definitely trained how he played. What he would do was sledge the shit out of me when he got me out, which was often. He’d hoop one back into the stumps or find both edges of the bat probably two out of every ten balls. The he’d come down the pitch and sledge me for playing that way.

He was more of a tormentor than a mentor, but I learned more from facing him than anyone else. Because he was so good compared to me, he could just hammer away at my weakness, and I had to learn how to defend that. Not only that, but wrapped up in his sledging were bits of advice. “That’s a f**king dumb shot, why do you wanna hit every single ball” when you get out nicking a short length ball….well really, strip that back and it’s actually saying “leave that shit alone.”

Now, it’s a different sport, and obviously not the elite level, but you don’t reckon Mahoney is going to have an opposed session against Issac Luke and learn from him in the same way? You don’t reckon he’ll watch Luke draw defenders in, or how he chooses when to run, or how quickly he gets the ball to the halves, or whatever, and learn from that? You don't think playing and training alongside him will teach Mahoney or Schneider a single thing? It's an established concept; young players learn from the more experienced ones. Mahoney could definitely stand to learn to stop throwing forward passes. He has the wrong name to be able to get away with it, for starters.

You do not have to be a mentor for younger players to benefit and learn from your experience. We have a need at hooker, which is our weakest position, and Issac Luke is a good player with a wealth of experience. Do you seriously think Reed Mahoney would learn nothing from him? It isn't enough to sign him just for that, but he is definitely far better than what we have and his experience is a bonus.

So again, I'll ask you for the sake of discussion. Why do you seem to believe that a player must be a mentor to teach someone something? And what metric do you use to establish that our older players have not taught the younger ones anything? Because that's hard to quantify, as I said earlier, so I'd like to learn from you if you have a way of doing it that I've missed.

Or can you, perhaps, acknowledge that you made a sweeping statement without actually considering what it might be missing? There's nothing wrong with realising there might be more to the story than you originally considered and there is nothing wrong with discussing your point of view.

f**k

hindy111

Post Whore
Kaysa has three try assists in his entire career. He has also spent as much or more time injured than Luke has.

Good luck trying to convince anyone Kaysa is a better option than Luke. I don't even think Kaysa's mum would back you on it.

I said id rather Kaysa as we already have him. Same goes for W.Smith and Mahoney

IFR33K

Coach

2 things.

1.It was you that initially said Mahoney and the other rake could learn something off the older player (luke).

2. You considered taking up soccer?

Bazal

Post Whore
2 things.

1.It was you that initially said Mahoney and the other rake could learn something off the older player (luke).

2. You considered taking up soccer?

1-I know, because they clearly can. You refuted it, or at least refuted that our young players have learned anything from the older ones. You also brought up mentors, not me. I have simply been asking what makes you refute it and why a player has to be a mentor to teach something, and all you've really said is "we came last!" as though it's a catch-all for any discussion.

2-I am very, very shit at soccer. And I had to give RL/RU away because my ankle is literally ligament-less, soccer would probably be no good for it either even if I was any good.

I'm so bad at soccer that I'm even shit at alcoholic-grade futsal.

IFR33K

Coach
1-I know, because they clearly can. You refuted it, or at least refuted that our young players have learned anything from the older ones. You also brought up mentors, not me. I have simply been asking what makes you refute it and why a player has to be a mentor to teach something, and all you've really said is "we came last!" as though it's a catch-all for any discussion.

2-I am very, very shit at soccer. And I had to give RL/RU away because my ankle is literally ligament-less, soccer would probably be no good for it either even if I was any good.

I'm so bad at soccer that I'm even shit at alcoholic-grade futsal.

Well, not meaning to be devils advocate here, but what evidence do you have that suggests signing an aging star at the eels in a good thing for the young eels players?

I think the league-based equivalent of your story would be to hire a big fat experienced prop to run at Mahoney's weakest shoulder and step at the last minute, not to buy a bloke who plays the same position? Not that I have a problem with signing Luke.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well, not meaning to be devils advocate here, but what evidence do you have that suggests signing an aging star at the eels in a good thing for the young eels players?

Just established history. Like I said, how do you quantify it? Without sitting down with a player and asking them, I'm not sure you can. That doesn't mean it's not important though...end of the day, we plebs only see a fraction of what goes into developing a successful football player or football side

I do think you can see some influence from guys like Beau Scott and Manu Ma'u in a guy like Alvaro, who was a bit of a beige nice guy but has developed a distinct hard edge in defence especially. But you could also ask if that was just natural improvement, or a product of the coach who is a hard bloke himself.

I think it's pretty fair to say there is established truth to the statement that, in general, younger players learn from the older though, wouldn't you?

Bazal

Post Whore
I think the league-based equivalent of your story would be to hire a big fat experienced prop to run at Mahoney's weakest shoulder and step at the last minute, not to buy a bloke who plays the same position? Not that I have a problem with signing Luke.

Well yes and no.

The point was more to do with learning from a player without him being a "mentor" than what was actually learned.

Dibs

Bench
Dally M is gimicks. Sucks in the dummies. Sandow almost won it.

I operate on facts. I stated statistics showing Lukes form dip. He was great in a souths side that was also great. As Souths form dropped so did his. He looked average in NZ in 2016 and 2017. Behind a good pack he did better but started to miss tackles. His running game has almost halves since the peak of his career and his TA have become non existant.

The guys done. Id rather Kaysa who will be busting his balls or W.Smith tbh.

Let me add....Turns 32 soon and co ing of a shoulder reco of some sorts. FFS
I understand your concerns about Luke and those are some of the reasons my feelings are mixed about the potential signing. I would also prefer Kaysa if I thought there was a chance he could have a 20 game season. Unfortunately his frailty seems less and less like bad luck and more an inferior body the longer his run of injuries continue. However Will Smith? Lol, you must be taking the piss and I’m a Will Smith fan. I think he is about the best type of spine utility back up you can hope for, but that is all he is, a back up.
The lack of experience in our spine at the moment is a concern. In fact I would prefer Mahoney be our hooker and be able to increase our experience in the spine and class in the full back position as eelogical suggested but until someone shows a viable option for that to happen maybe Luke is the best option to increase our spines experience at this stage. As I said previously though not at the expense of Mahoney missing out of a spot in the 17. Also if the reported offer is close to correct than I feel under the current cap that is about what a slightly above average player may expect

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Yeah, but your team finished last did they not?

Latest posts