What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Taka and W.Smith in side give felxibiltiy.

If a forward goes down Taka can help the forward rotation by playing 20 mins in forwards while W.Smith slots into backline.
W.Smith can also fill 1,3,4,6,7,9
With both Taka and W.Smith in team we can cover every position in the side quite easily.What does this other guy cover ? Or is he only good to give Mahoney a rest.
You’re relying on injuries to prove their place in the team then. Why are you wishing injury on our players?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Taka and W.Smith in side give felxibiltiy.

If a forward goes down Taka can help the forward rotation by playing 20 mins in forwards while W.Smith slots into backline.
W.Smith can also fill 1,3,4,6,7,9
With both Taka and W.Smith in team we can cover every position in the side quite easily.What does this other guy cover ? Or is he only good to give Mahoney a rest.
The only Flexibility Smith provides is for the opposition, as they go barging through his flimsy defence.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Without smith / Manu on our bench, which player goes to centre if we have an injury in backs during the game?

Actually Marata could probably cover centre.

hindy111

Post Whore
You’re relying on injuries to prove their place in the team then. Why are you wishing injury on our players?

It's a contact sport. Chances of an injury in a game are high.If aren't any injuries W.Smith gives Mahoney a rest for 15. If we are winning easy or being belted perhaps Smith plays longer and save Mahoney for following week.

The W.Smith hate is ridiculous. He does a fair job. He did nothing wrong on weekend amd still copped it.

84 Baby

Referee
Without smith / Manu on our bench, which player goes to centre if we have an injury in backs during the game?

Actually Marata could probably cover centre.
Again this is relying on an injury for the ideal use of a bench spot

It's a contact sport. Chances of an injury in a game are high.
Smiths best positions are fullback/half. How often do they get injured in game? Outside backs are slightly more often but still not worth carrying an emergency. I don’t reckon hookers (outside Kaysa) get injured all that often either.
You know who do get regularly injured? Forwards. Not ideal but if you’re relying on injuries to justify selection, McIlwrick can somewhat cover a forward position.

If aren't any injuries W.Smith gives Mahoney a rest for 15.
So yeah if there are no injuries, he plays hooker, that McIlwrick is a better option at.

If we are winning easy or being belted perhaps Smith plays longer and save Mahoney for following week.
So now you’re relying on extreme scores to justify selection? How likely is that if you’re effectively only playing with 16 players? Well maybe getting belted

The W.Smith hate is ridiculous. He does a fair job. He did nothing wrong on weekend amd still copped it.
I don’t actually hate Smith. His utility is actually really good to have in squad across a whole season. Just not in a single game if your only plan for that skill is as an emergency cover.

And nothing wrong? A third of his tackle attempts were missed/ineffective. That’s bad especially so for a middle defender

Gronk

Staff member

Smiths best positions are fullback/half. How often do they get injured in game? Outside backs are slightly more often but still not worth carrying an emergency. I don’t reckon hookers (outside Kaysa) get injured all that often either.
You know who do get regularly injured? Forwards. Not ideal but if you’re relying on injuries to justify selection, McIlwrick can somewhat cover a forward position.

So yeah if there are no injuries, he plays hooker, that McIlwrick is a better option at.

So now you’re relying on extreme scores to justify selection? How likely is that if you’re effectively only playing with 16 players? Well maybe getting belted

I don’t actually hate Smith. His utility is actually really good to have in squad across a whole season. Just not in a single game if your only plan for that skill is as an emergency cover.

And nothing wrong? A third of his tackle attempts were missed/ineffective. That’s bad especially so for a middle defender
I agree that Smith should be selected every week in the 21 and taken away to NZ, QLD & NZ games, but never selected in the starting 17 unless the cupboard is really bare.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's a contact sport. Chances of an injury in a game are high.If aren't any injuries W.Smith gives Mahoney a rest for 15. If we are winning easy or being belted perhaps Smith plays longer and save Mahoney for following week.

Your obsession for Will Smith is quite disturbing, is he really Mick??

hindy111

Post Whore
Your obsession for Will Smith is quite disturbing, is he really Mick??

Look if we had another gun hooked I'd say go with it. But Mcillwrick a journey man too fill in for 15mins or W.Smith will have f**k all difference in the outcome of the game. At least Will gives more cover.

I'd be happy to go with 4 forwards if the bench forwards are offering something
to rotation. If it is just to give one of our better forwards less time then its actually weakening our chances. Do people understand this?

If JNRS and Moera are capable of 50mins do you want to give them only 40 so K.Evans can get 20?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We have plenty of guys who can cover multiple positions in the backs, halves and forwards quite well - Taka, Salmon, Gutho and even Fergo can cover 1,2, 3, 4 and 5. No one (including Smith) covers 9 very well. Mcrillick does.
If we end up with one of these on the bench I can see Smith dropping off, but there’s not much point having your injury cover starting on the edge somewhere.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plenty of premiership winning coaches have carried an outside back on the bench. There’s not much to be gained from carrying four forwards other than to take minutes from players who already play limited minutes.

84 Baby

Referee
to rotation. If it is just to give one of our better forwards less time then its actually weakening our chances. Do people understand this?
Do you understand that Smith is offering very little as a bench hooking option with no specific plan, weakening our chances? He takes up 2 interchanges for his 10-15 min resting of Mahoney where he isn't using the skills he does have. If he came on and just ran out of dummy half for 10 minutes perhaps it'd be a different story, but apart from that his ruck service is crap and his middle defence fails a third of the time.

Glenneel

Bench
jennings cited for the low high shot hope parra fight it If he put his hands any lower he would of collared Dbrown who was lying on the deck
Didn't Latrell Mitchell hit someone flush on the chin, and he wasn't falling. Has he been cited?

84 Baby

Referee
Plenty of premiership winning coaches have carried an outside back on the bench. There’s not much to be gained from carrying four forwards other than to take minutes from players who already play limited minutes.
Sure there have been coaches that have carried odd players on bench e.g. Daniel Tupou, but do you honestly reckon we're in a position to do so? And who's saying anything about carrying 4 forwards (excluding hookers as proper forwards)? The current plan appears to be have Smith on bench in case a back gets injured and if none do then he can come on halfway through 2nd half to spell Mahoney in a position he's not very good at and doesn't utilise his "best" skills, at what is often a very critical time in the game. Can't bring him on for Mahoney earlier in case there is injury that will waste interchanges. If that's the plan, McIlwrick (as would have Kaysa) suits better in the common occurrence of no injury/resting Mahoney

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Look if we had another gun hooked I'd say go with it. But Mcillwrick a journey man too fill in for 15mins or W.Smith will have f**k all difference in the outcome of the game. At least Will gives more cover.

If JNRS and Moera are capable of 50mins do you want to give them only 40 so K.Evans can get 20?
f**k all difference??? In defence it’s a massive difference.

Let alone his lousy service.

Glenneel

Bench

I'd give K Evans zero minutes. Didn't show much when he was on, especially in attack, ok in defence. Kaufusi would have to be better, wouldn't he?

Bazal

Post Whore
Why the f**k are we talking about Will Smith covering centre anyway?

Has he ever played there before? If the only reason a player is in the 17 is possible injury cover then that player doesn't deserve to be in the seventeen.

McIlwrick is a better hooker. Therefore he plays bench hooker surely.