What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why the f**k are we talking about Will Smith covering centre anyway?

Has he ever played there before? If the only reason a player is in the 17 is possible injury cover then that player doesn't deserve to be in the seventeen.

McIlwrick is a better hooker. Therefore he plays bench hooker surely.
But but but but but flexibility.......

Incorrect

Coach
The Peats/Kaysa, Peats/DeGois, Kaysa/DeGois combinations that BA used from 2014-17 say hi to the Mahoney/McIlwrick combination that BA will probably use in 2019 now he has a second hooker available to select in his 17.
Are they all saying Hi twice or just once??

Bazal

Post Whore
The Peats/Kaysa, Peats/DeGois, Kaysa/DeGois combinations that BA used from 2014-17 say hi to the Mahoney/McIlwrick combination that BA will probably use in 2019 now he has a second hooker available to select in his 17.

He does like two proper hookers more than a "utility". Especially a hooker than can play as a running forward too, eg Peats/Kaysa/McIlwrick. Realistically it should be MM straight in when ready.

Anyway unrelated to this post I actually looked up Will Smiths positions over his career. He's played there (centre) once. One time in 49 FG games. Basically Hindy is a dill for even suggesting him as an option, Ma'u has played more centre than him. Takairangi has played loads more. Bring on McIlwrick ASAP

JokerEel

Coach
Dally M Points for round 1

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/nrl-round-1-snapshot-dally-m-votes/

Dally M votes: Mitchell Moses 3, Blake Ferguson 2, Shaun Lane 1. Judge: Andrew Johns

Team of the Week...

team-of-the-week_20180319.jpg

hindy111

Post Whore
Do you understand that Smith is offering very little as a bench hooking option with no specific plan, weakening our chances? He takes up 2 interchanges for his 10-15 min resting of Mahoney where he isn't using the skills he does have. If he came on and just ran out of dummy half for 10 minutes perhaps it'd be a different story, but apart from that his ruck service is crap and his middle defence fails a third of the time.

If he comes on at 65th he uses 1 interchange.
His role is to preserve Mahoney from burn out

Happy MEel

First Grade
If he comes on at 65th he uses 1 interchange.
His role is to preserve Mahoney from burn out
McCillrick can do that as well...only better. He won’t win us the game but he won’t lose it either. Smith proved last year (and almost again on the weekend) that he most certainly can be a strong contributor to us losing the game in that timeframe.

hindy111

Post Whore
Why the f**k are we talking about Will Smith covering centre anyway?

Has he ever played there before? If the only reason a player is in the 17 is possible injury cover then that player doesn't deserve to be in the seventeen.

McIlwrick is a better hooker. Therefore he plays bench hooker surely.

Yes he has played centre before coming through system and in training in this off season.
He could also slot into fullback and Guth to centres.
If we did happen to lose someone from 1 - 7 we have little options with W.Smith.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yes he has played centre before coming through system and in training in this off season.
He could also slot into fullback and Guth to centres.
If we did happen to lose someone from 1 - 7 we have little options with W.Smith.

I genuinely don't care of he can kinda sorta cover every position on the field. He doesn't offer enough as a player to carry him on the bench when McIlwrick is available.

Simples.

hindy111

Post Whore
McCillrick can do that as well...only better.

Like said he cant cover an injury to 1-7.
He is 27 and played 6 more NRL games then W.Smith who is a year younger. If he was that good he would of played a lot more games. My guess is he is about C.Kings level. People are going on like we are comparing W.Smith and Cam.Smith.

If it was me and Stone is playing good footy id promote him. Or if Mahoney can play a full game give Kafusi some more NRL. Or id consider salmon also as the utlitly.

hindy111

Post Whore
Stone and Salmon would be interesting utilities. It gives them NRL experience. And they may become genuine NRL levelmplayers in future.
Agree W.Smith wont be any more then he is now and neither will Mckillwrick.

Bazal

Post Whore
He is 27 and played 6 more NRL games then W.Smith who is a year younger. If he was that good he would of played a lot more games. My guess is he is about C.Kings level. People are going on like we are comparing W.Smith and Cam.Smith.

If it was me and Stone is playing good footy id promote him. Or if Mahoney can play a full game give Kafusi some more NRL. Or id consider salmon also as the utlitly.

Lol stop talking shit.

People are going on like we are comparing W. Smith and literally anyone who is an objectively better reserve hooker. Which we are. And we would be if we were comparing W. Smith and Cameron King.

Or W. Smith and f**ken Dylan Phythian. Or W. Smith and Kenny Edwards...

Happy MEel

First Grade

I’d agree with you on Kaufusi or Salmon. Haven’t seen enough of Stone to make a call either way. I’d leave Mahoney out there for 80 unless injured. The little merkin appears fit as a mofo and is all heart. He’ll give 100% until the whistle is blown and even if he is a bit fatigued, he would still offer more in the middle than Smith and it gives us an extra interchange.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’d agree with you on Kaufusi or Salmon. Haven’t seen enough of Stone to make a call either way. I’d leave Mahoney out there for 80 unless injured. The little merkin appears fit as a mofo and is all heart. He’ll give 100% until the whistle is blown and even if he is a bit fatigued, he would still offer more in the middle than Smith and it gives us an extra interchange.

Stone in 20s was an animal. Reminded me of Greg Bird and about the same size.
Unsure how he went in NSW cup.I think he copped a few injuries. The guy is all hesrt. Give 100% and id like too see him given a shot at some point this season.

Bazal

Post Whore

Only reason I wouldn't now that we apparently have another hooker is the burn out factor. And injury management

Reed-Money is young. He can definitely handle 80 minutes, but it's the 6 straight months or so of 80 minutes in that sort of position that gets you. Has he got the NRL experience and importantly the high-level match fitness to handle that? Probably not, so he becomes more susceptible to fatigue and injury.

Might be a different story if we continued to have to rely on a genuinely shit option (at hooker at least) like Smith

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon we will see Salmon this week in replacement for Mennings, although I think Salmon will move to the right and Taka cover Mennings left centre spot. This allows for more experience on the left for Drown and Siva and gets Salmon into the right channel for his role for the rest of the year.