What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
You know i have been thinking about right and wrong and it is a very blurred line if you look globally. Sure i agree with you, in my view i can't fathom why someone doesn't like someone because of their sexual orientation or the colour of their skin. I will assess if you are a dickhead first and foremost and the other stuff is irrelevant.

But to my point, we say this is wrong but there are 7 billion odd people on the planet and there is a significant portion of the world that do hate and won't tolerate the LGBTQI community and actively take them down and also will not tolerate other races and commit heinous crimes against them.

For a very long time it was not ok to be homosexual, it was not ok to look different and they were treated in the most criminal ways imaginable but in the west we have slowly come to the conclusion that inclusion matters and that everyone is equal. Are we right? I think so, but from what happens in many other places in the world, they may question us?

Based on history and what happens currently maybe we are not supposed to be inclusive and maybe we are wrong by trying?

Anyways, i guess i have just heard people say much more terrible things and keep their jobs but yeah you are right, i actually don't care about Folau and he is a piece of shit. He'll still be a millionaire though..........

I'm not looking for a fight either, just putting some thoughts down for discussion i don't have to believe they are true to say them.

No fight from me mate.

I just think that, if you're going to go anyway towards stamping this stuff out as much as is possible, then you need to make it clear as a society that it isn't acceptable. Ultimately, the rest of the world will follow. It might take decades or even longer, but they will.

I don't believe that this stuff should be a crime or anything like that, but yes, if I had a staff member making homophobic comments (or racist, or whatever you like to substitute) I'd be giving them one first and final warning to pull their head in.

And I don't mean off colour jokes either. I'll laugh about anything because I'm a misanthropic, depression riddled git and I think humour is just that.

I normally don't mean to come across as though I want a fight either...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No fight from me mate.

I just think that, if you're going to go anyway towards stamping this stuff out as much as is possible, then you need to make it clear as a society that it isn't acceptable. Ultimately, the rest of the world will follow. It might take decades or even longer, but they will.
Don't be so sure. There are plenty of places in the world that are far less 'American' (because that's what they think liberalism is) than they used to be. China is essentially a fascist state and they have plenty of influence outside the West (not to mention within it).

oldmancraigy

Coach
Just on the whole Izzy thing, fairly ironic comment from the ARU about it:

"Rugby is a sport that continuously works to unite people. We want everyone to feel safe and welcome in our game and no vilification based on race, gender, religion or sexuality is acceptable and no language that isolates, divides or insults people based on any of those factors can be tolerated."

Ok, admitting I haven't followed the whole thing closely, my understanding is that Israel Folau said the following 2 things

"the devil has blindsided so many people in this world, REPENT and turn away from your evil ways".

And then two hours later( on a different social media forum) "those that are living in sin will end up in hell unless you repent".

[everything I know about the whole thing comes from this article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-11/israel-folau-set-to-be-sacked-by-rugby-australia/10993856)

Those appear (to me) to be fairly 'religious based' comments?

Certainly not defending the guy (if I were on the ARU board I would voted to axe him!), but to put out the statement that they did... Do they now need to sack anyone who speaks out against Izzy's 'right' to say what he said?

Bazal

Post Whore

"Rugby is a sport that continuously works to unite people. We want everyone to feel safe and welcome in our game and no vilification based on race, gender, religion or sexuality is acceptable and no language that isolates, divides or insults people based on any of those factors can be tolerated."

Ok, admitting I haven't followed the whole thing closely, my understanding is that Israel Folau said the following 2 things

"the devil has blindsided so many people in this world, REPENT and turn away from your evil ways".

And then two hours later( on a different social media forum) "those that are living in sin will end up in hell unless you repent".

[everything I know about the whole thing comes from this article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-11/israel-folau-set-to-be-sacked-by-rugby-australia/10993856)

Certainly not defending the guy (if I were on the ARU board I would voted to axe him!), but to put out the statement that they did... Do they now need to sack anyone who speaks out against Izzy's 'right' to say what he said?

But they haven't sacked him for his religion

They've sacked him because he's breached their code of conduct with homophobic statements. Again. After they gave him a serious warning last time

So no its not particularly ironic tbh

Glenneel

Bench
I didn't say we should throw big coin at all kids with potential. You need to be very selective when you do this. Generally body shape and size and speed if outside backs, should be a factor in accessing juniors, but equally if not more important is character.

Many of the failed juniors who had great potential as juniors didn't have a great (football) character attitude coming through the lower grades. With those types it can go either way and many times it goes the wrong way. But if a young player has all the highest skill sets for his position and a great steel like personality, generally humble, then barring injury or a complete turn of character, you pretty much have a very good NRL player at the least.

Hard not to have a good success rate when you have a strict policy like that if you are taking a punt on a junior player outside of your development program to fill a needed spot that may need strengthening. And there are always quality future leaders in the juniors that we rarely seem to find. These are the type of kids I'm talking about. Reed Mahoney seems to be one like that. I would of said the same thing about D. Brown but not sure now after his press statements about contracts and money. I will reserve judgement on him.
The Broncos a few years ago cherry picked a heap of juniors from other clubs and many of those are now playing in their NRL team. It can and does work. Brisbane, unfortunately, will be strong again when they eventually sort out their halves and get a bit more experience.

Glenneel

Bench
Arthur is priority, imo - Gutherson, at the very least, will stay if Arthur stays.
I'm confident Gutho will stay as he is the captain, a position he'd unlikely get at Moanly or any other team. Pretty sure Moses will also stay as seems finally settled here. The solution to contented players is pretty simple really. Parra just need to be a successful team, and most will accept slightly unders to stay, rather than going to a weaker team on more.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

When these people talk about religion they mean culture, specifically Islamic culture. They're not referring to personal beliefs.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Folau will not be registered with the NRL.

It will be either France or Japan, if he wants to keep playing.

Everyone saying Gutho is a priority for us, and that in not necessarily wrong. However I will say our biggest priority, bar none, is Dylan Brown. I have not seen a tougher, more composed junior since Fittler.

Edit: Apologies as Ponga and Sonny Bill escaped my mind. Best 3 juniors I have seen. Brown looks similar to me.

Glenneel

Bench
Very true, and judging by the 63 odd million that actually voted for him, it certainly says a lot about the citizens of the USA and their tolerance........
There is a whole lot wrong with the USA. They have some of the smartest dumb shits on the planet. Not an oxymoron in that they are smart in their field but absolutely dumb in their views or beliefs. You have American missionaries roaming around Africa agitating, many times successfully, that homosexuality is a crime where you're either jailed or killed because of it.

In America the wealthy (about 20% of the population there control about 93% of the wealth, and its growing while the top 1% own about 40% of the wealth. Putting it another way 80% of the population own 7% of the wealth, by far the most lopsided in the world) keep the general population dumb and use them as factory fodder or in the military to increase their wealth and to keep them protected. Then the general population are bombarded by statements that they are the best country in the world (far from the truth) and they're dumb enough to believe it. If you're wealthy the statement may be correct (because their tax system is skewed towards the wealthy) but if your lower or middle class it certainly is not.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Fake news.

It's not fake news just because you really, really hope it's not Ram.

He has indisputable form as being racist and homophobe. It is not rumour or innuendo. It is fact. The merkin is morally bankrupt. He has proven that in his personal life, professional life in business and now as a politician.

Some people like that side of him obviously, which is fine. If you like your head of state to be totally ruthless in this manner, cool. However, let's just call a spade a spade.

hindy111

Post Whore
The Broncos a few years ago cherry picked a heap of juniors from other clubs and many of those are now playing in their NRL team. It can and does work. Brisbane, unfortunately, will be strong again when they eventually sort out their halves and get a bit more experience.

And they will pay big bucks for Fafita AMD Pangai Jnr along with Hass.

TheRam

Coach
It's not fake news just because you really, really hope it's not Ram.

He has indisputable form as being racist and homophobe. It is not rumour or innuendo. It is fact. The merkin is morally bankrupt. He has proven that in his personal life, professional life in business and now as a politician.

Some people like that side of him obviously, which is fine. If you like your head of state to be totally ruthless in this manner, cool. However, let's just call a spade a spade.

I could say the very same thing to you. Just because you hate him passionately it doesn't make your statements true either. But what will settle it is if you can site just one, yes just one time that D. Trump has himself, not others, himself come out and made racist or homophobic remarks.

But here's a clip of the complete opposite being shown to be true.

and another

and yet another

Need I go on? Many factual evidence based examples of a man that shows his actions are the opposite of the crap that ill informed or agenda driven people like you keep pushing. Show me the facts jacks or go be triggered and outraged in you mummies basement and let the adults to get on with it.

TheRam

Coach
Oh and here's a perfect example of your tolerant and loving non Trump supporters showing how inclusive they love being.

Gronk

Staff member
Show me the facts jacks or go be triggered and outraged in you mummies basement and let the adults to get on with it.

This is where I hop off. When you are able to have a civil discussion without getting personal, we can go down this path again in the Non-Footy Chat thread.

In the meantime, have a nice day.