What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
BA has had 6 years to build on and achieved SFA. We've had 50-60 point hidings nearly every year BA has been in charge and made the finals once for 0 wins and came last. Not much of a record to deserve a contract extension.

FMD. How were we travelling just before we got busted cheating in 2016 ? How did we go at the tail end of 2016 and then 2017 ? 2018 was a dogs breakfast, but he has restored some steel in 2019. Tidy up inconsistencies and you have a top 8 side. You cannot deny that. Facts matter merkin.

Gronk

Staff member
Mole:

Dylan Walker has been cleared of assault charges and will be back on the field soon - but the mail is he won’t be at Manly next year.

Walker hasn’t been a success on or off the field since joining Manly from Souths on a massive contract at the start of 2016.

While he is now free to play again, the club isn’t happy with his attitude and despite being an Origin and Test player, he has yet to be offered a contract for 2020.

Manly will put his money to good use, throwing it into the kitty to bring local junior Clint Gutherson home.

Gutherson has been one of the form players of the opening rounds of the premiership.

His price tag will be around $800,000 per season, but his ability to play just about any position in the backline and clean-cut image makes him worth the cash.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F1dae294d-8f38-4338-bca6-61b7a746471b

Dylan Walker (L) is unlikely to be at Manly in 2020. (Getty)
MANLY'S INSIDE RUNNING ON GUTHO

Manly has two aces up their sleeve in the race to sign Parramatta star Clint Gutherson: the Trbojevic brothers.

Gutherson is best mates with Jake and Tom Trbojevic, with the three having played their junior football together for Mona Vale in the Manly district.

Word is the pair have been spending plenty of time convincing Gutherson his future lies back at Manly.

I’m also hearing that Manly have brought in some heavy hitters to get the deal done.

Gutherson is happy at the Eels but they are proving tough in negotiations … and there’s no place like home.

^^^^^ LINK

Mole joining the dots. We have aces up our sleeve too merkin. If Gutho walks after this, his name will be mud at Bankwest. Might as well go now and we sign DWZ before 30 June.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If manly offer gutho $800k, Jake/Tom would want similar amounts and with Evans on close to million, that’s around $3.4 million, a third of their cap on 4 players.

IFR33K

Coach
Well Bennett was never going to come to the eels with Souths or Panthers as options last year.

And interestingly the other experienced coach that was available was Macguire, and he recently coached a side to a massive flogging by us!! Additionally he is in charge of squad that the majority of people suggested was better then ours at the start of the year yet they still have the same wins as us!! So based on current form / results Macguire hasn’t done anything great to suggest we should have sacked BA for him.

What other experienced options were available?

Actually Hasler was available, and I reckon he is a good coach and would have been a good option, but that was never going to happen. Additionally we probably wouldn’t have wanted him at our club until we had a good management structure in place, while he can coach he can also f**k up a clubs cap!!

You are probably right, WB was little chance. But let’s aim real low yeah, or assume he’s no chance. That’s the whole problem with the joint, they have low standards and accept mediocrity

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol there it is

Only a matter of time before "accepting mediocrity" came out.

The most clueless phrase that's used on this forum.

IFR33K

Coach
Maybe we should be happy we only lost by 50 odd points on the weekend.

Or are we still hampered by the salary cap scandal of 2016?

Incorrect

Coach
The Mole reckons Guth is worth 800K a year.... but no club has offered him that amount.... So how is he worth 800K you dopey merkin???

It's like a real estate agent telling me my house is worth 1 million, but nobody offers anything above 850K when I put it on the market.... I can't tell a prospective buyer it's worth 1 million if nobody wants to pay that... What are they gunna say? "Oh it's worth 1 million is it? OK then, here's the extra 150K!"

I will say this though, I think if Manly come close enough to our offer, and particularly if they offer that 4th year, he'll go. This whole drama has probably damaged relationships in and around the club...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You are probably right, WB was little chance. But let’s aim real low yeah, or assume he’s no chance. That’s the whole problem with the joint, they have low standards and accept mediocrity

No apparently the eels did make enquires about Bennett:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...t/news-story/1f8ca58db547c3b46ec7ebe66d312066

“A Channel 9 report on Thursday night claimed the Eels had approached, or were preparing to approach Bennett to cut his Brisbane contract short and move south to Sydney in 2019.”

Bennett was quizzed about the Eels approach at his press conference on Friday.

He denied he had been in contact with Parramatta, and declared he “would not be open” to an approach.”

Stevie

Bench
f**k Bennett. I said it at the time when Bellamy was considering leaving the Storm to make him an offer that would be near impossible to refuse. If he earns 1.5mil a year offer him a 3mil per year offer 5 year guarantee and total autonomy.
Everyone else is 2nd when it comes to building a club.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
FMD. How were we travelling just before we got busted cheating in 2016 ? How did we go at the tail end of 2016 and then 2017 ? 2018 was a dogs breakfast, but he has restored some steel in 2019. Tidy up inconsistencies and you have a top 8 side. You cannot deny that. Facts matter merkin.
:joy::joy::joy: restored some steel???

We just got beat by 54 points, we are the same mentally weak team we have always been under him. Sure we have jagged some good wins but it’s just further proof the comp is uneven and as poor as it’s ever been.

Bazal

Post Whore

We just got beat by 54 points, we are the same mentally weak team we have always been under him. Sure we have jagged some good wins but it’s just further proof the comp is uneven and as poor as it’s ever been.

So I have a question

If the comp is uneven and geared towards clubs that are already strong, as you've suggested here and elsewhere (and I agree), what makes you think we are in any position to be any more than what already are?

You can't say/insinuate that certain teams have big advantages and then turn around and whinge that we aren't like them

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So I have a question

If the comp is uneven and geared towards clubs that are already strong, as you've suggested here and elsewhere (and I agree), what makes you think we are in any position to be any more than what already are?

You can't say/insinuate that certain teams have big advantages and then turn around and whinge that we aren't like them
That is a fair point Baz, but can you honestly see us being one of those clubs ever with BA in charge??

6th year as a coach and he is still making rookie errors with team selections and rotation on the bench.

Gronk

Staff member

FMD it astounds me how some of you merkins function day to day. If we are winning life is good. We get randomly thumped by the best NRL club for two decades and you're after any merkin's head that has ever worked for the club.

They is no grey for you merkins, it's either black or white. Contentment or pathological rage.

Bazal

Post Whore
That is a fair point Baz, but can you honestly see us being one of those clubs ever with BA in charge??

6th year as a coach and he is still making rookie errors with team selections and rotation on the bench.

Mate I believe it has very little to do with the coach and everything to do with administration.Or at least, it begins with the administration.

Clubs like the Roosters, Storm, Broncos or even Souths, with excellent administration, are the ones that quality coaches want to go to. Those clubs could have their pick of coaches, there isn't one coach IMO who wouldn't be interested in the Souths job if Creeping suddenly packed it in for eg.

Arthur is a middle of the road coach, like everyone who isn't Bellamy, Robinson or Bennett. But don't you think he would be more successful at the Roosters or Storm than he has been at Parramatta?

Like I said the other day, I'm not sure I can see us ever being one of those clubs. But not because of the coaching. Because of factional knobs like Eagleston and all the others. He's spouting off his Spags knob-slobbing agenda again today...unless we can get the reforms through, what hope do we ever have of changing our administrative problems?

As a general question to anyone who disagrees (and I know there are a few), why would a top quality coach want to come to a club where he's not sure if the factions will knife him for their own ends, or when?

That's why I've said we need to stick by BA for the two years if the story is true. And why we need to stick by his replacement for their whole tenure if the story isn't true.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
FMD it astounds me how some of you merkins function day to day. If we are winning life is good. We get randomly thumped by the best NRL club for two decades and you're after any merkin's head that has ever worked for the club.

They is no grey for you merkins, it's either black or white. Contentment or pathological rage.
Random flogging??

We cop loses like this all the time under BA. If something happens quite often how is it random???

And who said I’m after every merkin who has ever worked for the club?? Keep bullshitting, I just don’t think a coach who has been here for almost 6 seasons and has a win loss record under 50% and no finals wins in that time should be renewed. You piss and moan like it’s the end of the world and I want the whole club blown up.

Every player at the club has has signed or re-signed, he promised 3 things when he took the job, no more spoons, a team that the fans can be proud of every week and not paying players to play elsewhere. He’s failed in all of them.

Bazal

Post Whore
Random flogging??

We cop loses like this all the time under BA. If something happens quite often how is it random???

We've copped losses like this under every coach since 1986, haven't we?

Every player at the club has has signed or re-signed, he promised 3 things when he took the job, no more spoons, a team that the fans can be proud of every week and not paying players to play elsewhere. He’s failed in all of them.

All that tells me is that he shouldn't write cheques his players can't cash.