What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
Nah if we change coaches we will never lose a game again.

Can you see us ever winning a comp with Brad Arthur in charge?? Simple yes or no answer will suffice. And if it is no why should we continue down this road for two further seasons??

We are as good a chance with BA as any other middle of the road coach.

Honestly can you see us winning a comp with Justin Holbrook and the continuation of off field mismanagement?

Given where we sit on the basket case scale, can you honestly see us winning within the next three seasons regardless of coach?

We have deeper problems that need addressing. It really is that simple.

84 Baby

Referee
Cue further meltdowns...
oh-the-mediocrity.jpg

Happy MEel

First Grade
An 8 year plan eh.
Whats done is done. Now lets get on with it.
It will now be interesting to see who we retain and who we recruit.
Go Parra.
I just hope those retention decisions are based largely on onfield performance (including salaries) rather than how good a trainer that player may be.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don’t know... I think the playoff is in a couple of weeks when we play Penrith

Did we ever stop being the laughing stock? I'd say it's been our crown since about 2010 tbh. Even moderate success in 2017 was tainted by 2016.

Some merkins need to realise that mediocrity is a step on the path from shithouse to success. A step we haven't actually completed since Brian Smith left

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We are as good a chance with BA as any other middle of the road coach.

Honestly can you see us winning a comp with Justin Holbrook and the continuation of off field mismanagement?

Given where we sit on the basket case scale, can you honestly see us winning within the next three seasons regardless of coach?

We have deeper problems that need addressing. It really is that simple.
How are we a basket case??

Don’t we have a stable board and amazing CEO now??

A brand new state of the art stadium with the best corporate facilities in the land??

Brad seems a great bloke and an Eels man so I wish him all the best but I have no confidence in him at all to take us to the promised land. What a few more seasons waiting anyway.......

84 Baby

Referee
Did we ever stop being the laughing stock? I'd say it's been our crown since about 2010 tbh. Even moderate success in 2017 was tainted by 2016.

Some merkins need to realise that mediocrity is a step on the path from shithouse to success. A step we haven't actually completed since Brian Smith left
I think the mediocrity gets passed down to the longest drought team. Let’s hope it gets passed to Raiders real soon

Happy MEel

First Grade
There should also be a minimum KPI of making the 8 for this year and the remainder of the contract period. If he does not achieve this minimum standard then he has failed as far as I’m concerned and I would start having conversations with alternatives.

Bazal

Post Whore
How are we a basket case??

Don’t we have a stable board and amazing CEO now??

A brand new state of the art stadium with the best corporate facilities in the land??

Brad seems a great bloke and an Eels man so I wish him all the best but I have no confidence in him at all to take us to the promised land. What a few more seasons waiting anyway.......

Perception, old mate. We are on the improve, but "on the improve" doesn't register for most highly skilled pros. You're either a basket case or sorted out.

Reforms still not through. Administrator still technically in charge with no guarantee of any change to the previous status quo when he moves on. Two seasons out from being so badly mismanaged that we had to cheat the cap to field a squad. Two years out from having the entire board dissolved.

We have been a basket case since Smith and Fitzy moved on, let's be honest. And we've never done the hard yards to fix it. And I'm worried the factions will prevent it from happening ever

I answered your questions, how about answering mine

Noise

Coach
There should also be a minimum KPI of making the 8 for this year and the remainder of the contract period. If he does not achieve this minimum standard then he has failed as far as I’m concerned and I would start having conversations with alternatives.

Rumour has it Newcastle can terminate Brown's contract with minimal payout. I wonder if we put something like that in place tied in with a KPI of not making the 8?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Perception, old mate. We are on the improve, but "on the improve" doesn't register for most highly skilled pros. You're either a basket case or sorted out.

Reforms still not through. Administrator still technically in charge with no guarantee of any change to the previous status quo when he moves on. Two seasons out from being so badly mismanaged that we had to cheat the cap to field a squad. Two years out from having the entire board dissolved.

We have been a basket case since Smith and Fitzy moved on, let's be honest. And we've never done the hard yards to fix it. And I'm worried the factions will prevent it from happening ever

I answered your questions, how about answering mine
What was that question again??

Throughout all this very exciting excitement i’ve Lost my train of thought.

hybrideel

Bench
I've often wondered whether the fact that the media lives a good Parra bash would hamper negotiations with players. Who would want to come to a club where you are going to cop a hammering through the media for every bad performance

Happy MEel

First Grade
Rumour has it Newcastle can terminate Brown's contract with minimal payout. I wonder if we put something like that in place tied in with a KPI of not making the 8?
Yep thats a more than reasonable clause to include for a coach who has had minimal/limited success, whilst keeping in mind the basket case the club was in for a large period of his current employment with the club.

He now has the support he needs, a roster he has built, relative stability in the back office and plenty of players off contract if he wants a roster overhaul.

There is absolutely no excuses for not achieving consistent top 8 finishes.

He was lucky to get extended with the results he has produced so far and I can’t see there being too many other employment opportunities for him to use during negotiations. let’s hope the club is holding a get out of jail free card if it turns out the results Arthur has produced so far are the limit to his capabilities.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
There were unsubstantiated reports that BA was on 1 million per year. Id be surprised if hes on anywhere near that with this new contract. Maybe bonuses built in for finals wins etc. I also reckon there would be kpi's he needs to achieve. 50% win record would have to be a minimum I would hope. This contract would be much tighter. Now days contracts mean shit. If this season deteoriates anything is possible and so it should. To all the wrist slashers out there id suggest BA will still need to perform or else. Repeats of Saturdays performance wont save BA contract or not.