What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
His metres per carry and tackles per minute are both ordinary. If he played fewer minutes he could work harder in defence. And if he took fewer runs (and thus made fewer metres) we could give more runs to fresher (or better) runners. Outside backs going through the middle. That's the key to big metres. The likes of Paulo and Nrown can take those fourth tackle set up runs when the outside backs need to be in position.

Thanks Sherlock. The fact is when he plays for 80, he does a stellar job of it. Most forwards and coaches would love those figures. But you prefer Tepai

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks Sherlock. The fact is when he plays for 80, he does a stellar job of it. Most forwards and coaches would love those figures. But you prefer Tepai
80 minutes of a bloke making barely more than 40 tackles is no benefit to anyone. It's the bare minimum for a middle defender and we now have Paulo struggling to make 25 tackles in 50 minutes. We need players like Moeroa. He and Alvaro would combine for about 70 tackles over 80 minutes.

Hopefully in reduced minutes this year Brown can work harder in defence to help cover Paulo.

TheRam

Coach
80 minutes of a bloke making barely more than 40 tackles is no benefit to anyone. It's the bare minimum for a middle defender and we now have Paulo struggling to make 25 tackles in 50 minutes. We need players like Moeroa. He and Alvaro would combine for about 70 tackles over 80 minutes.

Hopefully in reduced minutes this year Brown can work harder in defence to help cover Paulo.

They may do alright in defense and that is debatable, because they have both been found wanting in D on many occasions and at time embarrassingly so letting in easy tries. But when they are on song, sure defensively the are good, but they both can and do suck in attack. So hardly overall real quality to hang your hat on.

I want forwards that dominate with or without the ball. We have to many Alvaros and Tepais in our team that can't seem to play well week in, week out well no matter what they are good at.

Give me 6 forwards with the ticker and skill level of Brown and we would not be in this predicament, sucker!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They may do alright in defense and that is debatable, because they have both been found wanting in D on many occasions and at time embarrassingly so letting in easy tries. But when they are on song, sure defensively the are good, but they both can and do suck in attack. So hardly overall real quality to hang your hat on.

I want forwards that dominate with or without the ball. We have to many Alvaros and Tepais in our team that can't seem to play well week in, week out well no matter what they are good at.

Give me 6 forwards with the ticker and skill level of Brown and we would not be in this predicament, sucker!
If you had six forwards like Brown they wouldn't all be able to make a run every four minutes, yet they'd want to be paid for that. It'd be a waste of money and your team would be weak in other areas.

Players who are in the team for their defence (especially middle forwards) are cheaper, which is a big part of optimising your salary cap.

Alvaro and Moeroa are better than forwards playing regular first grade for the Storm and Roosters. Kane Evans played one game of reserve grade in three years with the Chooks yet at Parra he's played plenty.

TheRam

Coach
If you had six forwards like Brown they wouldn't all be able to make a run every four minutes, yet they'd want to be paid for that. It'd be a waste of money and your team would be weak in other areas.

Players who are in the team for their defence (especially middle forwards) are cheaper, which is a big part of optimising your salary cap.

Alvaro and Moeroa are better than forwards playing regular first grade for the Storm and Roosters. Kane Evans played one game of reserve grade in three years with the Chooks yet at Parra he's played plenty.

Mate, I was referring to his attitude and passion to play well most weeks. If we had 6 forwards like him with the differing duties that they would all be assigned to do. At the moment we are lucky to get any of them to play at their higher level once or twice a month. Just not good enough.

They really need the riot act given to them this week, and whoever doesn't deliver should be shunted to oblivion. I don't care anymore if we have 17 reserve graders playing in the NRL team. At least then when we lose the way we have been(64 to 10) it will make sense and fans will at least understand.

At the moment this team has the personnel to play way better and actually if they played to their potential are a top 4 team. But the way they have been expressing that ability and talent, we will be vying for the spoon again in a couple of weeks.

Woo Hoo for us again! Number 15 coming up. Go BA. To have re-signed a coach that once again is inching towards that outcome, is bordering on criminal if you ask me. We should of waited, no matter what the lame media were saying. We have't learnt a thing. Gurr is a hoax.

lingard

Coach
Every Origin middle forward would put up those numbers if their teams needed them to play 80 minutes. And now that he's not needed to play 80 minutes he won't be putting up those numbers either.

Those numbers aren't the holy grail; they simply indicate that he is a very good player. Having less minutes on the field (and therefore lower numbers) wont make him a less good player. It'll quite possibly (or probably) make him an even better player.

T-Boon

Coach
To have re-signed a coach that once again is inching towards that outcome, is bordering on criminal if you ask me. We should of waited, no matter what the lame media were saying. We have't learnt a thing. Gurr is a hoax.

From comments made by BA at the time of signing I think it is a contract with a lot of performance incentives built in. So hopefully a very small dollar base amount with big bonuses if we make the 8 and 4 etc. Thats the kind of contract I would sign an NRL coach to.

lingard

Coach

So, out of interest, what do you think is the difference between the Roosters, the Storm and us?

lingard

Coach
From comments made by BA at the time of signing I think it is a contract with a lot of performance incentives built in. So hopefully a very small dollar base amount with big bonuses if we make the 8 and 4 etc. Thats the kind of contract I would sign an NRL coach to.

As far as Arthur is concerned, really hope he has KPI's in his contract. I'm desperately hoping that Parramatta has their sights on a top-line, probably big name, coach to take over in two years time. I hope they haven't just extended his contract 'just to see how he goes'. Realistically they've already seen enough of what Arthur can provide. He wont get any better or worse over the next two years. I also realise that there aren't too many options out there right now. I'd be talking to Flannagan right now, in preparation for when his ban is lifted. (And I'd be asking his advice recruitment.)

Incorrect

Coach
As far as Arthur is concerned, really hope he has KPI's in his contract. I'm desperately hoping that Parramatta has their sights on a top-line, probably big name, coach to take over in two years time. I hope they haven't just extended his contract 'just to see how he goes'. Realistically they've already seen enough of what Arthur can provide. He wont get any better or worse over the next two years. I also realise that there aren't too many options out there right now. I'd be talking to Flannagan right now, in preparation for when his ban is lifted. (And I'd be asking his advice recruitment.)
12 months ago I would have agreed Re Flanagan... But there's a bit of a stink about how he's gone about getting his results. The performance enhancers and then cap question marks all while he was involved...

lingard

Coach
12 months ago I would have agreed Re Flanagan... But there's a bit of a stink about how he's gone about getting his results. The performance enhancers and then cap question marks all while he was involved...

There were cap questions under Brad Arthur's watch, too. But Flanagan really knows how to assemble a bloody good squad; unlike ……….

T-Boon

Coach
I'd be talking to Flannagan right now, in preparation for when his ban is lifted. (And I'd be asking his advice recruitment.)

The clubs with ambition and self belief would be thinking about Bellamy.
Cam Smith will be retiring in the next 12 months so Bellamy will probably want a change. He is too young to retire from coaching and needs to win with a second team to prove he is one of the greats.

Incorrect

Coach
There were cap questions under Brad Arthur's watch, too. But Flanagan really knows how to assemble a bloody good squad; unlike ……….
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending BA. Just saying I'm not as enamoured with Flanagan as I was previously....

I wonder if the word "enamoured" has been used on these forums ever??
EDIT - just did a search.. Quite a few times as it turns out!

Eelogical

Referee
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending BA. Just saying I'm not as enamoured with Flanagan as I was previously....

I wonder if the word "enamoured" has been used on these forums ever??
Why aren't you defending BA, do you want a knife there Marcus Junius Brutus? Relating to your question, I'm sure Hindy has been enamoured in his Gus days.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Those numbers aren't the holy grail; they simply indicate that he is a very good player. Having less minutes on the field (and therefore lower numbers) wont make him a less good player. It'll quite possibly (or probably) make him an even better player.
You're missing the point. High numbers of minutes and runs aren't the holy grail either. They are more of an indication of the player's importance to the team than an objective measure of his quality. Anyone can play 80 minutes if you just leave him out there, just like anyone can make 200 metres of you give him enough carries.

The question with Nrown is whether we still need him to play 80 minutes and make 20 carries (and therefore only contributing 40 tackles in defence). If we're able to give some of those carries to Paulo or Ma'u or the wingers then we can reduce Nrown's minutes and have him work harder in defence during them.

Unlike tackles, there's only a finite amount of minutes and runs to go around. Having one player taking more of them isn't necessarily a good thing, though it makes merkins jerk off over his stats.

This is why metres per carry and tackles per minute are more important than just metres and tackles. Because they give a picture of the cost (runs and minutes, respectively) of the output.

emjaycee

Coach
No, I think he is insinuating that the coach and his staff aren't good enough to get their obvious abilities out EVERY F**KEN WEEK FOR F**K SAKE!

WOW my arse.
Professional footballers, like any professional, SHOULDN'T need someone to remind them not to f**k up the simple basics of their role. Like dropping the ball, not following instructions, and how to tackle.

Once they run onto the field they are responsible directly for their own actions... which is why they need an onfield leader to keep them focused.